Sunrise and Sunset photos

Do you prefer sunrises or sunsets?  

844 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer sunrises or sunsets?

• I prefer sunrises.
    • I prefer sunsets.
    • I enjoy both equally.

What a difference a few minutes make...

5:47 PM - Ok sunset, nothing spectacular...most cameras leave to get ready for dinner

medium.jpg

5:56 PM - Deck is clear...is the show over?

medium.jpg

5:58 PM - Ah...so patience is a virtue!

large.jpg

Colors are real. Straight out of the camera set on "normal" with no oversaturating in Photoshop. It really was a great 11 minutes!

Dave

Pierces, very good visual of a natural sunset in the making. I am often the last on the deck of a sunset - on the Maui last 2 sunsets (I posted) I took over a hundred shots - could see the color coming as everyone left. Usually I'll look to the east at sunset early in the sunset and it's color will give me a good idea of what's coming.

I took a series of a sunrise on the water in Hilo where I got 4 colors over a 30 minute period. Pink, gold, copper and orange. There were a lot of broken clouds at different altitudes that made it possible.

I do believe in some enhancement to the photo - my personal taste. I use Paintshop Pro and Neat Image. I do usually have my dsrl set to natural settings. I do still use filters - especially polarizing. I guess if my enhancements are evident to the untrained eye I probably went too far.

I can tell you're a really good photographer with great creative and technical skills (well,your avatar and the use of pbase told me, too).

I hope you don't mind but I "played" with your natural photo a little - just in Snapfire - I'm on the road and not at my home PC.

BTW, where was your picture - it reminds me of leaving St Lucia?

Pierces beautiful sunset:

2004124812291597889_rs.jpg

I do believe in some enhancement to the photo - my personal taste. I use Paintshop Pro and Neat Image. I do usually have my dsrl set to natural settings. I do still use filters - especially polarizing. I guess if my enhancements are evident to the untrained eye I probably went too far.

Not so untrained...;) I wasn't taking a poke at the supersaturation. It is, as you said, a metter of personal taste. I tend to try to match what inspired me to take the shot in the first place, but am not opposed to tweaking the image to get there if it's needed.

I can tell you're a really good photographer with great creative and technical skills (well,your avatar and the use of pbase told me, too).[/

Obviously you're a man with exceptional perceptual skills! :D [/color]

I hope you don't mind but I "played" with your natural photo a little - just in Snapfire - I'm on the road and not at my home PC.

Not at all...just don't sell it!:eek: In the print file, I bumped the brightness and saturation +5 and +7 respectively and had it printed on a LightJet using FujiFlex poly-coated gallery paper. That particular paper does things with room light that have to be seen to be appreciated!

BTW, where was your picture - it reminds me of leaving St Lucia?

It was taken as we sailed out of Puerto Vallarta in February 2003.

Keep shooting those sunsets! They're like snowflakes...never the same.

Someday I'll find the perfect one....

Dave

I really like that picture - I think I have a similar one across the pool deck but can't find it. This one is a little like your without the great color yours has.

Coming into Oahu, HI at dawn.

2000547848436300586_rs.jpg

Sabrina - I like yours a lot - it looks a lot like my Costa Maya picture posted on the last page (post 291) - and I took also May, 2007!

Anybody want to guess what and where this picture is from??

2005831140107997853_rs.jpg

I Love this picture! We'll be on the Spirit in January...this makes me look forward to it even more. Thanks for sharing!

We don't love Carnival - but...

...Spirit is a really nice ship. We were on her for 12 days and we loved it.

You will have a great time.

Leaving Kauai on Carnival Spirit from an aft wrap-around balcony.

2003401044802660752_rs.jpg

Archived