Need Great Ideas of clever things to bring

long2cruise

How about buying one of those beach cabanas from target or walmart, I was looking at renting clam shells and cant find any info on them and I though ill just buy one for around $35 fits 4 ppl and i can use it for both islands we port at and not have to rent and what if we cant rent cause they are all gone this way we will be safe.

How about buying one of those beach cabanas from target or walmart, I was looking at renting clam shells and cant find any info on them and I though ill just buy one for around $35 fits 4 ppl and i can use it for both islands we port at and not have to rent and what if we cant rent cause they are all gone this way we will be safe.

Ok need a pic because I have no clue what you are talking about...:D

• 2 weeks later...
Well since it was my first cruise I thought I'd start a tradition and bring a good luck charm so I bought a bobble head doll, big mistake every time I looked at that head bobbing around it would practically make me sick..then we ran into rough seas and it fell off and broke..so much for lucky..

OMG, thanks so much for sharing! This really cracks me up! great story

:)We have learned many things on our last 6 cruises::)

Over the door shoe bag is a MUST!

Night light

Surge protector power bar

Small night light, and flashlight

Pack all the clothes you think you will need, then remove a third

Some ships have coin laundry- Use IT!

On longer cruises I pack in suitcase the laundry

tablets you can now buy-(If NOT flying to port).

Rolls of quarters

List of all medications you are taking, with the correct medical names

Several feet of duct tape wound around used gift card

Magnets or tacky stuff- handy to leave notes for family member as to where you arelocated on the ship...

Post its, pens pencils etc.

why duct tape & used card?

• 3 months later...

Wow, all of these items are great... took me like a day to get through all the posts, but definitely considering taking the shoe organizer since it's wildly popular (of course there's only going to be 2 of us.... but I'm such a neat freak I can't stand clutter or mess), of course the power strip, we're (my Boyfriend and I) are also taking my iLuv (iPod Alarm clock/radio/dock) which has a screen that can dim or turn off completely. We're going to be in an inside cabin- I'm not sure if I should bring the night lights since neither of us has a problem if one turns on the lights. Also a really good investment I saw somewhere is to get a water resistant wristwatch. I'm very iffy about bringing along my cell phone since we won't use it, and I'd rather not risk damaging it somehow either but the pool or losing it in Mexico.... so I found some really cute ones on the Walmart website for $16- I only wish they came in purple! :) Another really awesome thing I saw posted was the post-it notes since it'd be nice to either leave each other notes incase one of us ventures off (walkie talkies might come in handy too) and wants to let the other one know where we'll be or that we'll be back or something- also for the stewards so that we could let them know if we need something and we don't see them.... I know how behind the scenes they are sometimes. This will be my first cruise on my own and his first cruise period (unless you wanna count the Navy). Make sure to bring pens and pencils since you never know who you'll meet or what you'll need to write down.... maybe the number or address to a place off the coast of one of your stops.... maybe the names of your room steward and attendants so that you can spell them correctly when you post reviews about them later.... I better stop rambling!

Good Luck everyone!

We just got back from our first cruise (Alaska) and many of the things mentioned were very helpful but the one thing I now wish I had taken/done was kept a diary/journal of the days events. We had several interesting things happen to us on the trip (I was seated at dinner one night next to someone who graduated a year after me from my high school--an Ohio school and we were in Alaska) and I wish I had written them down as I find myself getting all mixed up especially which day which happened but then maybe that is old age.

Enjoy your trip.

• 4 weeks later...
we cruised over christmas a couple years ago and I picked up some stuff at the dollar store, including a christmas stocking with iron-on letters to personalize it. on the ship we ironed the steward's name on and wrapped up each of the little toys and trinkets and treats and stuffed the stocking and left it on the bed christmas morning when we vacated the room. yes, I travelled with wrapping paper and tape.. rofl.. my whole family was on the cruise and it was christmas! people told me not to wrap my gifts before I flew. :)

she cried. she sat down in the room and wrote us a 3 page letter. she cried and hugged us in the hallway. she was so.. excited, that santa had found her on this ship so far from home and family, and touched that strangers had done that for her.. it was such a simple thing, too.. honestly I did it as much for myself as for her.. her reaction absolutely made my christmas. :)

one of the things that made the cruise on the other hand was bringing along a small pair of speakers to plug into the walkman so we could have music of our choosing in the cabin.

That so bought a tear to my eye, what a lovely thing you did :)

• 3 weeks later...

although we will not be using all the many great ideas on this thread, after many cruises i still continue to pick up new ideas from cruise critic :)

here is one that we use.........we bring an inexpensive light weight duffle bag(folds flat for packing), keep it in the closet for dirty clothes, put a luggage tag on it and leave it outside with the rest of our luggage the night before debarkation........we are lucky enough to live 15 minutes from the port so the extra bag is not a problem.............happy cruising everyone

cheryl

Tazmanaf, loved your idea about these for the steward and wait staff.

We checked them out at WalMart this afternoon, and they all say "For calls originating from the U.S.," dial this 800#. Even the AT&T Worldwide card doesn't give any directions or # to call if you're initiating the call from outside the U.S. (which the ship's staff would be). Also, nowhere does it say how many minutes you get for your $10 or $25 card. And of course nobody in the store knows a thing. So we went to the AT&T store - same thing. They said to go online, but all I could find was about gophones and stuff.

Can anyone provide information on what kind you buy, where you get them, and respond to my wonderings about what if the call is being initiated from outside the U.S.

Thanks in advance.

My friend works for Carnival and he said they use alot of "Oro Gold" cards, apparently they sell that brand on the ship. You can get them online also. Best place that we have found are the carry outs or gas stations that are run by foreign people (not to offend anyone just a fact) they seem to have the largest variety of all. Anyhow all of the ships port back into the Home port weekly so they can call home when in the US. They do sell calling cards at most of the out of US ports, but most are to use to call the US. LOL Almost none of the cards tell you the amount of time provided. I have purchased several when my friend was home in India and they do vary. A $2 card had 4 hours of talk time. But I purchased a $5 card and it only had 3 hours talk time. It's just hit and miss. Honestly I think any amout of time would be greatly appreciated appreciated. As most of these people make an extremly low salary and depend on the tips to make ends meet. Just a thought. Happy sailing! :)

Edited by mommie922

At the local Michael's craft store, I picked up a bubble wand that has many varied-sized and shaped holes in it. Next cruise (still not on the calendar yet, sigh) we'll be somewhere forward and on the highest deck we can manage, pouring streams of bubbles back over the ship at sailaway!:)

• 1 month later...

-GINGER! It does work wonders!

jc42

Does the ginger only work for tummy issues or is it also good for dizziness? I've only done 1 cruise (just booked another) - I had no problems with my stomach, but was very dizzy/unbalanced for most of the cruise (and about 2 months after I got home). Would I be better off with ginger or bonine?

i've found that if u give tips on first day, the rest of cruise is that much better. also i goto bank and get a bunch of $2 bills,as these will make you that much more memorable,cause as rare as they are to us,they are even more rare to people from other countries

• 2 weeks later...
Love my boca clips, thanks CC! My sister loves silly gadgets, so I knew she'd like these. It was so windy our last sea day, everyone else was having a hard time keeping their towels from blowing around.

These are also one of my favorites! Clothes pins don't cut it sometimes- these hold through the worst wind!

• 2 weeks later...
Love my boca clips, thanks CC! My sister loves silly gadgets, so I knew she'd like these. It was so windy our last sea day, everyone else was having a hard time keeping their towels from blowing around.

never heard of those b4 so i googled it, what a good idea!

i just found some on ebay for 6 bucks, i think ill get em before my next trip :)