Need Great Ideas of clever things to bring

long2cruise

Last year got $300 for our Mexico trip in $5, $2, and $1 bills. While it is a "wad" of money we always had exact change. People love the $2 bills as tips. We will do the same this cruise for tips. I also always bring along ear plugs. They are handy to block out those strange noises that keep you up and night.

A forum lurker just dropping in to say:

I took the over-the-door shoe hanger/organizer with me on this past cruise, and it was FABULOUS! I'm taking one on each trip now! My mother came by my cabin and said "what a NEAT idea!!!". I had to give credit to the CC family for that one.

Just purchased my third "over the door" organizer". The first was not a clear one so took it back; the second was missing the hooks so took that back too. Now (I hope) the third is perfect. After reading the posts, it seem like it will be worth it and we will enjoy having the organizer.

The one thing I bring on a cruise that I don't take on a "normal" vacation is a steamer wand to get rid of wrinkles in clothes, especially on my dresses and nicer outfits. My steamer was such a hit on our last cruise that the rest of our group (in neighboring staterooms) even asked to use it.

Downey Wrinkle Releaser in the travel size works pretty well if you're short on space to take a steamer too.

• Like 1

Last year got $300 for our Mexico trip in $5, $2, and $1 bills. While it is a "wad" of money we always had exact change. People love the $2 bills as tips. We will do the same this cruise for tips. I also always bring along ear plugs. They are handy to block out those strange noises that keep you up and night.

What a great idea! I can't believe I never thought of that. That would work well for places like Vegas too where we're constantly tipping the Valet, etc. Thanks for the tip!

1.Flashlight (with me at all times)

2. A bottle of candied Ginger, usually at the spice section at Walmart works and tastes GREAT!

3. Camelback (a backpack that holds water) I usually enjoy the excursions that require physical activity and with a Camelback I stay hydrated.

4. AlokSaks aka ziploc bags on steroids. Use these to keep electronics and other gear DRY. Good enough for the Navy SEAL's more than adequate for me.http://www.amazon.com/ALOKSAK-Dry-Bags-4-Sizes/dp/B0016RMZ2M They make them large enough to put your whole DSLR in and keep it dry. Also good for bringing a DSLR in to a cold room from outside or vice versa to prevent condensation on the lenses...

5. A SURGE protector power strip. I don't want to run my equipment without this protection, so to keep your electronics happy bring a SURGE protector power strip.

6. A shortwave radio/alarm clock. I take this to listen to shortwave stations on the seas as well as use it as a alarm clock

7. My iPhone. Multiple uses entertainment, email & internet access (for a fee). I also use a program to SAVE webpages ahead of time about destinations (wikipedia), excursion websites, as well as deck plans of the ship or anyway webpage that doesn't change much I want offline access to.

Lots more ideas but I gotta run for now. Merry Christmas!!!

• Like 1

Wow, a ton of great ideas. I have a page of stuff I've picked up from this thread alone. Won't necessarily pack everything, but will consult with my fellow travelers on what to bring and what to keep at home.

This will be my BF's first cruise this coming February and for Christmas I made him a stocking of things that a first time cruiser might not think of. Including the over-the-door shoe organizer, mini hand sanis, dramamine, ginger tabs, ibuprofen for the possible hangover, playing cards, gum, disposable underwater camera, etc. He loved it and agreed he never would have thought about most of that.

I also downloaded the iCall for my iPhone. What a cool idea!! Probably won't need it for the cruise, but I'm in a lot of spots that I have wifi but none/limited cell service.

Edited by FireMonkey

Remember - the doors are metal. We got some clips with magnets on them and I had little Christmas decorations with our names on them for the December cruise....for February I will have something else. Helps us find our cabin down those LONG hallways!

:)We have learned many things on our last 6 cruises::)

Over the door shoe bag is a MUST!

Night light

Surge protector power bar

Small night light, and flashlight

Pack all the clothes you think you will need, then remove a third

Some ships have coin laundry- Use IT!

On longer cruises I pack in suitcase the laundry

tablets you can now buy-(If NOT flying to port).

Rolls of quarters

List of all medications you are taking, with the correct medical names

Several feet of duct tape wound around used gift card

Magnets or tacky stuff- handy to leave notes for family member as to where you arelocated on the ship...

Post its, pens pencils etc.

The one thing I bring on a cruise that I don't take on a "normal" vacation is a steamer wand to get rid of wrinkles in clothes, especially on my dresses and nicer outfits. My steamer was such a hit on our last cruise that the rest of our group (in neighboring staterooms) even asked to use it.

Not sure what ship you where allowed a steamer, but Royal Caribbean and Celebrity won't let you bring one :(

I travel light, usually only my roll-a-board and a small knapsack so I don't have room for most of the things a lot of you travel with, but things I always bring with me:

bungee cord for propping the balcony door open

ear plugs (since it seems like I always get noisy neighbors ;-)

battery operated led candles - great for atmosphere while sipping wine at night on the balcony

antacid - who doesn't overeat on a cruise?! ;-)

scotch tape

If you have room in your luggage, and especially on longer cruises, a little photo printer is awesome to have. (the ones that print 4X6 photos). I take about 200 photo papers with me, and then I can print any special pictures I have taken of our table mates, cabin steward, wait staff, etc. and give them to them on the spot to take (or send) home with them. We have met people from all over the world, and instead of trying to send photos by email (some people don't have internet access), or worry about them being damaged by regular mail, we can give them to them immediatly. It is WAY cheaper than trying to get them printed on board (especially the number of pictures we like to take) and the staff especially like having copies of themselves to send to family. And don't forget an extra ink cartridge! They are not easy to find in some of the ports!! Also, if you have a special celebration on board (birthday or anniversary) you can print a copy of the event and tape it to your mirror so you can enjoy the memory for the rest of your trip. Ours is nice and compact so easy to slip into our safe when we aren't there. I wouldn't bother if on a short 3 day cruise, but especially if you are gone more than 7 days, it is an awesome addition to our luggage.

I always bring a number of those nice "hankie" packs that are wrapped in plastic. This is true on every trip, but always happy to have them on a cruise.

Having those hankie packs wrapped in plastic is great. They fit in a shirt pocket easily. They stay dry through coming and goings in tenders or excursions. They are easy to find in your purse/pocket/shorts/bag.

You can use them as an actual tissue, but I rarely use it that way. I use them as napkins in the cabin for whatever we bring in to eat or drink. They can be pretty to make it seem festive. If you spill anything anywhere you may be, you can have a way to clean it up quickly.

Well since it was my first cruise I thought I'd start a tradition and bring a good luck charm so I bought a bobble head doll, big mistake every time I looked at that head bobbing around it would practically make me sick..then we ran into rough seas and it fell off and broke..so much for lucky..

Hi there. I see you've been on alot of cruises. Ive only been on carnival and NCL. Out of all your cruising which cruise lines do you like best.

Thanks

I think for overall comfortable ships (which is important to me), feeling of relaxation and overall tranquililty, I would have to say Norwegian. Norwegian did a good job with the pool areas where there seemed to be plenty of space to go, even if it was crowded. You never had that feeling "is there going to be a chair for me?" because if not a loungechair, there was still spaces to go.

Princess had the better food than Norwegian, and was a bit more luxe overall. People on Princess probably seem more cosmopolitan than Norwegian by a small bit. I felt pressure on Princess to buy things. They had constant "sales" on things you don't need. Some of the Princess ships have coin laundries.

I am looking forward to Costa a lot. I probably will take Norwegian again given my first choice. I think you get a lot of value and nonpressure. What do you like about Carnival? I will probably take them sometime.

That was very funny. It has been my experience too that they provide everything and if you are really in need, you can get it at a port of call. The ship stores are decent. They have thought of a lot of needs there. The thing I think you should bring is any stomach medicine you might need. It is hard to get that, and you are going to be in party mode. That is the one thing I wish I had had on one cruise. That doesn't weigh much or take up much space.