Need Great Ideas of clever things to bring

long2cruise

Best thing I've ever packed is a stash of miniature candy bars. wrap our dollars tip around the bar when we order room service, hand them out to room stewards, waiters, assistant waiters and any other crew members I come across during our voyages.

It's the unexpected thank you when combined with some $$.

You would never believe the smiles and thank you's we get from employees. One crew member who delivered us coffee and danish in the morning on a ship said she remembered us from a prior cruise.

Been doing this for the past 4 or 5 cruises. Always amazed how many crew members look amazed when they receive a small candy bar from someone they've never met before.

Remember, these candies are in addition to the monetary tips we do on board.

Dianne

That's really nice to give a little something more back to the people who are doing the non-stop job of making your vacation special every day. The crew are away from their families for months and months at a time, so I'm sure something that seems like a small, but nice gesture is very much appreciated. Besides - chocolate makes everything better to begin with!

That's really nice to give a little something more back to the people who are doing the non-stop job of making your vacation special every day. The crew are away from their families for months and months at a time, so I'm sure something that seems like a small, but nice gesture is very much appreciated. Besides - chocolate makes everything better to begin with!

Additionally, the last cruise that I went on was our honeymoon cruise, so with all the nice little extras like balloons, a special dessert at dinner one night and a few other things, my husband and I brought along a small package of general Thank You notes and wrote a note to several of the crew members that worked extra hard to make our honeymoon special.

• 2 weeks later...

I ALWAYS put all important data (cruise docs, copies of passports & driver's licenses, flight/hotel reservations, travel insurance info, etc) on a flash drive! Then I keep this flash drive with me at all times during the cruise and shore excursions. IF you ever need that info, it's right there for you!

:cool:Bill

• Like 1

I ALWAYS put all important data (cruise docs, copies of passports & driver's licenses, flight/hotel reservations, travel insurance info, etc) on a flash drive! Then I keep this flash drive with me at all times during the cruise and shore excursions. IF you ever need that info, it's right there for you!

:cool:Bill

This may be the best advice I've read on this entire site! Thank you so much for posting it~!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just purchased one of the over-the-door shoe racks...our cabin stays so cluttered and I never thought of this being a solution. Can't wait to try it out in December. Two must haves for me are air freshener and a power strip (only one outlet for hair dryer, straightener, battery charger, ipod, etc). Forgot it last time and it was missed greatly, improves convenience drastically. Also, just a little icky, I forgot my toothbrush once and no one on the ship could provide one until the gift shop opened after setting sail.

Lots of fantastic ideas - I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I take a special ribbon with big and bold colors to tie on my stateroom mailbox to help identify our room. Even our kids find it easy to spot our door (or if you'd had too much to drink)

We brought our netbook on our last trip as well, so we can dump all pics from our memory cards. We went to Starbucks in Nassau to access internet, and guess what - tons of cruiseship staff hang around wifi hotspots making internet phone calls.

For those who are techie, and you have the iphone (i'm sure this would work with other smartphones) take the sim card out as soon as you sail away (you don't want roaming charge surprises), and when at ports, you may use your iphone to call the US or Canada using a wifi connection and a VOIP program like iCall (you can download this through the appstore) I was able to do this while at Paradise Beach Cozumel, and some of my new friends were very happy to save 6.99 per minute as well as I let them use my phone. It was fantastic. I used this while in the Bahamas as well (Starbucks)

• Like 1

Usually to a deck at the front of the ship that is open to passengers, but not well known.

If you are going on a specific ship, just ask on the boards here, and someone is likely to know about your specific ship.

Remember, if it doesn't say "Crew Only" you can go there.

So........where is the "secret door" found on the Independance of the Seas??

Our first cruise was without our children. I knew I would miss them. Before leaving, I purchased 5 blowup beachballs with smiley faces on them at the dollar store. Everyday I would blow up a ball and toss it into the pool with the kids. Listening to them squeal and watching them play made me think of my own. I became know as the "ball lady" which was very cool by me.:D

Edited by jilllofalltrades

For those who are techie, and you have the iphone (i'm sure this would work with other smartphones) take the sim card out as soon as you sail away (you don't want roaming charge surprises), and when at ports, you may use your iphone to call the US or Canada using a wifi connection and a VOIP program like iCall (you can download this through the appstore) I was able to do this while at Paradise Beach Cozumel, and some of my new friends were very happy to save 6.99 per minute as well as I let them use my phone. It was fantastic. I used this while in the Bahamas as well (Starbucks)

What a great tip! I just downloaded icall, and it seems to work very well!

The free version requires that you listen to (about) a ten second ad, but most certainly worth it!

Thank you!

Two things that I have not seen mentioned here:

I always carry a small pocket knife, but now days that is forbidden on airlines.

Recently on one of our travels, I bought something (I cannot even remember what it was,) but it was in one of those "bulletproof" plastic clamshells, and for the life of me, I could not get it open! I actually had to go down to the desk for help!

I now toss a small swissarmy knife in the bottom of my checked luggage so that I will have it at my destination. It not only has a knife blade, but also a small scissors, a nail file, toothpick, and tweezers.

Another item...for us (hanging my head) "smokers" is an extra Bic Lighter.

Two days out and, my Bic died, but I had a spare in my checked luggage.

Photos of using both the power strip and the over the door shoe thingy.

As you can see, we used both to capacity and then some!!

The shoe thingy held brushes, lotions, gloves/hats, hair straighteners, deodorants, vitamins, etc.

We used the power strip for cameras, mp3s, Nintendo DSs, cell phones, hair straighteners and the alarm clock. Believe it or not, we knew exactly which cords went to what and where they were.

We had FOUR in an inside cabin. Both these items proved to be indispensible. SO glad we had them with us because there's NOT much room to work with. BUT, it all worked out just FINE!!

PowerStrip.jpg

ShoeDoor.jpg

Edited by Ilivetogo

Photos of using both the power strip and the over the door shoe thingy.

As you can see, we used both to capacity and then some!!

The shoe thingy held brushes, lotions, gloves/hats, hair straighteners, deodorants, vitamins, etc.

We used the power strip for cameras, mp3s, Nintendo DSs, cell phones, hair straighteners and the alarm clock. Believe it or not, we knew exactly which cords went to what and where they were.

We had FOUR in an inside cabin. Both these items proved to be indispensible. SO glad we had them with us because there's NOT much room to work with. BUT, it all worked out just FINE!!

PowerStrip.jpg

ShoeDoor.jpg

I think these 2 pics told more than all of the previous post said.

:)

i just wanted to thank everybody for all the tips.in the end everybody should pack what they think they will need but,its nice to be reminded little things which could be forgotten or not even be thought of...

happy sailing everybody :)

I keep an old wallet with an expired driver liscence and some expired old department credit cards and a few photo-coppied 20 dollar bills.

If I get "asked for my wallet", (some call it getting mugged), I have it to hand over. I haven't had to use it yet...but it's on me just in case.

I marked over the serial numbers of the coppied bills. A customs agent had no problem with this.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

for anyone taking bottles of wine on Carnival and not planning on drinking the whole bottle in one night...I found 2 wine stoppers in a pack at my local dollar tree store!

I too plan to take an over the door shoe organizer this trip--wish I'd seen that tidbit before!

I've also recently read on the family boards that anyone traveling with small children should have an emergency plan on what you would do if any emergencies arise from getting on/off tenders....who will have which child, etc.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
I have been an overpacker all my life. On our upcoming cruise I've decided that I don't have to have every bit of makeup in my bathroom, or the dvd player/bunch of videos, just some shorts that match with more than one shirt, some skirts/tops, my formal wear and wear very generic jewelry that I can match with everyone EXCEPT for my formal jewelry. I'll let you know how I do when I get back!

Hi there. I see you've been on alot of cruises. Ive only been on carnival and NCL. Out of all your cruising which cruise lines do you like best.

Thanks

Hi there. I see you've been on alot of cruises. Ive only been on carnival and NCL. Out of all your cruising which cruise lines do you like best.

Thanks

I prefer Carnival.

I wanted to share some of the things I make sure I bring. They're not as technical. We're taking our daughters in a couple days. They'll have their own cabin so I went to Party City & bought some Bon Voyage decorations & I'm going to sneak into their cabin & decorate it just for fun. I also printed out a Bon Voyage sign with their picture on it as a door decoration.

I always bring just a couple bottles of water for the cabin. I also can't live without my vanilla coffee creamer (also makes the bad coffee better) so I bring those little individual creamers & they don't need to be refrigerated.

I like the nightlight idea. I'm going to do that for sure.

Happy Cruising!

I prefer Carnival.

I wanted to share some of the things I make sure I bring. They're not as technical. We're taking our daughters in a couple days. They'll have their own cabin so I went to Party City & bought some Bon Voyage decorations & I'm going to sneak into their cabin & decorate it just for fun. I also printed out a Bon Voyage sign with their picture on it as a door decoration.

I always bring just a couple bottles of water for the cabin. I also can't live without my vanilla coffee creamer (also makes the bad coffee better) so I bring those little individual creamers & they don't need to be refrigerated.

I like the nightlight idea. I'm going to do that for sure.

Happy Cruising!

Thanks for such a fast response. So far i love carnival too. Im leaving in 10 days and cant wait. I always bring water but not sure on how much your aloud to bring. Do you know. Id like to bring the maximum. I have 3 daughters and we always get them their own cabin and my husband and i just get one next to them. I use bailys for my coffee. lol Hope you have a great cruise. Your lucky its only 3 more days. Cant wait. Merry Christmas:D

:(:(

Thanks for such a fast response. So far i love carnival too. Im leaving in 10 days and cant wait. I always bring water but not sure on how much your aloud to bring. Do you know. Id like to bring the maximum. I have 3 daughters and we always get them their own cabin and my husband and i just get one next to them. I use bailys for my coffee. lol Hope you have a great cruise. Your lucky its only 3 more days. Cant wait. Merry Christmas:D

Carnival's official policy is: Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages.

I know many folks who bring a whole case of water onboard. I probably wouldn't try to bring more than that, personally. Last cruise I brought a bunch of the little tiny liqueor bottles of Bailey's, Godiva, etc to put in my coffee after dinner. LOL. I smuggled them on in my make-up bag so they looked like travel size shampoos! Maybe I'm too paranoid. LOL :D I'm glad to be leaving in 3 days, but I'm sad it's only 3 nights. :(

Have a good time on your cruise!

Edited by andynapril

Several extra suitcases to carry all the junk listed on this post. Also, a bunch of dollars to pay the airline for the junk suitcase and for the overweight because you are carrying so many useless items.

DON

Thanks don but we're driving so no extra charges.

• Like 1

The one thing I bring on a cruise that I don't take on a "normal" vacation is a steamer wand to get rid of wrinkles in clothes, especially on my dresses and nicer outfits. My steamer was such a hit on our last cruise that the rest of our group (in neighboring staterooms) even asked to use it.

Just thought of this as I'm about out of mine and already have another box waiting to be opened but still had a little bit in the tubes. For people who use expensive face washes(ProActive, Clearasel, Clean and Clear) why not save a litte bit in your almost empty bottles instead of using it all before buying a new box? My friend recently had her pro-active confiscated due to the 3X3 liquid rule on the airlines and some people don't want to put expensive face wash in their checked luggage in case it gets lost. Save enough in your almost-empties for the week then throw them away when done! The same could be done for expensive cosmetics.

Also.. my mom got me on board with this. Instead of packing expensive perfume that may get lost/broken go to your local department store that has a cosmetics counter(We do Younkers) and ask for their samples. Most of them are sprays now and you can have designer perfume every night for free! :D

Also FYI I read earlier on this thread about using the gold dollar coins for tips.. DONT do this in Jamaica.. my BF did and got chased a block fromt he guy he gave it to(not a tip or paid for anything..just gave it to him for a picture) with the guy yelling he couldnt use it LOL I'm sure they work on the ships fine tho.. just dont want this to happen to anyone else;)

• Thanks 1