"Extra" tipping

Hroswitha

We always leave the "automatic" $10 per-person-per-day tip in place, but often want to tip those who have provided exceptional service a little more.

The problem is that the amount we want to add would be inadequate if it were the only sum we were providing, rather than an addition to that person's share of our automatic.

Knowing that the waiters' and stewards' English is often a little shaky, we use clear, basic words like "extra" when handing out envelopes--but their reactions when I see them later sometimes lead me to believe they've misunderstood and think that's all I'm giving.

Sometimes I think it might be simpler to omit the extras entirely, but I don't really want to do that.

How do others handle this? Any suggestions?

They usually understand auto-tip, so we tell them we left the auto-tip on but here is a little extra. If they only get two words, Auto-tip and extra, they will know what you mean. Also, be sure to put your last name and cabin number on the envelope that you give them. This let's them know that you understand the process.

They usually understand auto-tip, so we tell them we left the auto-tip on but here is a little extra. If they only get two words, Auto-tip and extra, they will know what you mean. Also, be sure to put your last name and cabin number on the envelope that you give them. This let's them know that you understand the process.

We do exactly the same, with a minor tweek. I write a little thank you note and mentioned that the auto-tip was left in place. I then tell the person that the money in the envelope is in "addition" to the auto-tip. I also underscore the word, addition so there is no confusion.

As for your room steward or waiter knowing whether you removed the auto-tip or not... They know... :eek::eek::eek:

I have heard all extra tips are supposed to be collected, pooled, and distributed equally, and that any employee that does not adhere to this risks disciplinary action. Is this true?

I have heard all extra tips are supposed to be collected, pooled, and distributed equally, and that any employee that does not adhere to this risks disciplinary action. Is this true?

They get to keep your extra tip as long as you did not remove the auto-tip from your account. If you did, they are required to turn in your tip money to the tip pool. If they do not, they can lose their job or get demoted.

Is the language barrier really this great on the Princess line?

We have cruised NCL, where all employees seemed to have a good command of English.

I did not encounter a single crew member who did understand what was being said, and actually carried on great conversations with our room steward/stewardess.

How do you make your requests known if the language is not understood?

Your help will be appreciated. We will be cruising Princess next year.

Thanks in advance.

It's totally up to you. I like to make it enough so that it's meaningful, when the situation warrants. Another nice touch is to fill in a "You Made A Difference" card for those who have been good to you, whether or not you tip them extra. Those are an official "attaboy" for the crew member.

How much extra is the usual extra?

We take along $200 or more in ones and fives. If we need more, it is available, or if we don't use it all - we will spend it elsewhere, I am sure!;)

When any one does an extra bit of service for you, it is always nice to slip them a couple of dollars, or whatever you feel the particular service warrants. They truly do appreciate this.

We begin at the pier, tipping at the garage, and continue till we are back in the car after the cruise.

We always leave the automatic $10pp per day in place.

I had not thought to mention this to anyone whom we would be tipping.

Filling out the card is a nice touch too.

We do the same, usually take approx $20 per day extra and extra tip as we see necessary. We look at the autotip as just being another cruise cost as is insurance.

It's totally up to you. I like to make it enough so that it's meaningful, when the situation warrants. Another nice touch is to fill in a "You Made A Difference" card for those who have been good to you, whether or not you tip them extra. Those are an official "attaboy" for the crew member.

I told our room steward on the Diamond that I was going to fill out the "You Made a Difference" card and give it to him so he could make sure it got to his boss. He said, forget my boss, I want to send it to my mom in Poland so I can show her that people like me.

I've never done this, but I've heard people say that the room stewards also like to get phone cards. Most of them are not U.S. citizens and they love to be able to call home.

I have never had a problem with the language barrier with any cabin stewards on all my Princess cruises. In my opinion, the best cabin steward is one that does a great job but is hardly ever seen. Example: I called to request a robe, went to visit a friend just down the hall, return in 10 minutes and the robe was already there! Now that's efficiency:D

OK - I'll push this a little further. For a weeks's cruise, we usually give the waiter and asst. waiter and cabin steward $25 extra for each, plus we do fill out the "you made a difference" cards. If most people give more, I would up the amount, but honestly, this seems to be difficult for people to discuss. So, is my $25 about right, or do most of you give more? less? .thanks for your help.

We usually leave something extra for the room sterward about $30.00. we usually give something on the last day to a special deck server. One year we had the nicest Liedo deck server, he brought cherries and fruit to my grandkids every time he seen them gave them coloring things, I am a little handcaped if I get up to go get a hot dog, he was right there saying were you going, he say sit down I will get it. On the last day I gave him a thank you note and $50.00, a little while later he came back and had a small wrapped package he said I want you to have this it is from my country it was a lighter. I thought that was so sweet I still have it. Teresa

I know most people say "you don't have to tip ahead of time" but we usually ask for xtra pillows on the first day and at that point we tip the room steward $20. At the end of the cruise if the service as been great we tip another $30 (service has always been great).

We also turn in the make a difference cards and on the last cruise the room steward went so far above the call of duty that I wrote a letter to the captain and to Princess. I received replies from everyone including the room steward which was very nice. Princess really appreciates hearing when there staff does an exceptional job.

Mary

Thanks to everyone for giving amounts. I've wondered about this, but no one seems to want to say exactly what amounts they give and to whom. I have anouther question. When you say you are giving the room steward etc. an extra $30, I"m assuming that you mean per cabin rather than per person. Is this correct? Thanks for your advice. Vicki

Thanks to everyone for giving amounts. I've wondered about this, but no one seems to want to say exactly what amounts they give and to whom. I have anouther question. When you say you are giving the room steward etc. an extra $30, I"m assuming that you mean per cabin rather than per person. Is this correct? Thanks for your advice. Vicki

Yes that's how we do it. I think we did either $20 or $40 on our last cruise. I just took the cash and put it in his shirt pocket and gave him a hug.

Thanks to everyone for giving amounts. I've wondered about this, but no one seems to want to say exactly what amounts they give and to whom. I have another question. When you say you are giving the room steward etc. an extra $30, I"m assuming that you mean per cabin rather than per person. Is this correct? Thanks for your advice. Vicki

I don't know about lovesandiego, but we did give both the steward and the stewardess each $25 at the end of our last cruise, along with the occasional $2 here and there when we would ask for something extra, such as egg-crate mattress, extra pillow, extra hangars, etc. They earned it completely.

If we had been staying in a suite, instead of an inside cabin, and had received even more extra attention, I would imagine that the tips would have been commensurate with whatever the extra service would have been.

From the responses, it seems that tipping extra is usually done, and the amounts may or may not be easily discussed.

In the specialty restaurants, our tips were more in line with what we would have tipped on land.

It seems that the point is, tip if you feel like it - in the amount which you feel is appropriate for a given service and which you are comfortable with. There really is no given tip amount - and I am sure many tip much more than we, and many less, or not at all.

It is still a very personal choice for each of us, and as with most money related subjects, not easily discussed.( Aren't we silly.;))

Thanks for asking, and hopefully, the responses have helped somewhat.:)

Since we will be doing anytime dining..and more then likly will be trying the different places each night- how would we extra tip these people? How many people will be serving us on one dinner?

do you tip these people also?

How does the tips for these servers work?

I think the cabin steward does understand when you give him the envelope that it's extra (as someone said, they are told when the auto-tip is removed).

The cards are great for when a crew member does something. If you remember to note down their name, location, and their country, you can make out a difference card at the passenger services desk and drop it in the slot there. That way, you don't have to worry about trying to track them down when you're carrying money.

I don't worry about a language barrier with the kids' counselors -- they seem to be all from the US, Canada, and the UK. I give one of them the envelope the last night.

Archived