Has anyone been to Sitka? What shore excursion do you recommend

tabearone

We were in Sitka on July 3. Took the dea otter and wildlife quest. It was great. Tons of sea otters, seals, sea lions. We also saw humpback whales and a grey whale. Lots of wildlife viewing time. We booked through the ship and since Sitka is a tender dock and we had the morning tour, they picked us up right from the ship so we saved the time tendering.

We didn't really do a tour in Sitka. It's easy to walk around, and there is a hop on/hop off bus that does about 7 stops (I think). Cost was maybe $5 and took us up to the Raptor Center, then we walked back through the rain forest down to the National Historic Museum where they do the totems and canoes. In the rainforest there were memorials to the Russians in a battle with the natives from that area. Easy walk downhill!

The Russian Church in the center of town. An old Home that was built for the early pioneers without money. The site on a hill that was where Baranof had his castle and the first U.S. Flag was raised after we purchased Alaska from Russia for $7,200,000.00. Lots of History here in Sitka, that's the reason I chose the cruise that went to Sitka instead of Skagway.

My cruise in '07 will go to Skagway and we get off the ship there to go to the Yukon then on up to Alaska by land, to see some of the Gold History.

The all day loop bus is now $10. Look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. This is the only opportunity you have for sea otters and puffins is you are just sailing Inside Passage. Independent operators are superior in my opinion. Request their visitor guide http://www.sitka.org

We were in Sitka on July 3. Took the dea otter and wildlife quest. It was great. Tons of sea otters, seals, sea lions. We also saw humpback whales and a grey whale. Lots of wildlife viewing time. We booked through the ship and since Sitka is a tender dock and we had the morning tour, they picked us up right from the ship so we saved the time tendering.

Sounds good. As far as wildlife sightings go, how does this tour compare to the 6-hour Kenai Fjords boat trip out of Seward? Anyone? We're taking Celebrity Summit's NB Inner Passage cruise on July 29.

Budgetqueen,

Even at $10 the all day loop bus is a steal. Compared to what the ship charges for tours. All depends on what your interests are. I was really into the History of Sitka. I saw enough sea life and land creatures, and I didn't pay for any tours to see them. Sea otters were all over the pier area at Seward, seals/sea lions in glacier bay, whales in open water, dolphins in open water. Eagles flying everywhere. Dall sheep climbing the mountains. Moose and caribou crossing the streets between Anchorage and Seward. Bears were the only creature we didn't get a look at. But I wouldn't have paid for a tour to get up close and personal anyway.:p

Sounds good. As far as wildlife sightings go, how does this tour compare to the 6-hour Kenai Fjords boat trip out of Seward? Anyone? We're taking Celebrity Summit's NB Inner Passage cruise on July 29.

I have done both, out of Seward is more extensive.

I've also done the sea otter & wildlife quest and the sea kayaking. Saw tons of animals (although no whales) on the first tour, lots of puffins, took beautiful photos. The sea kayaking was amazing, it was my first time in a kayak and wasn't difficult at all, although my arms were tired at times. The town is cute, not a lot to do, but it is a nice walk. I'm going back to Alaska in August (fourth trip) and we changed ships, so we have Skagway instead of Sitka. :o

Saw tons of animals (although no whales) on the first tour, lots of puffins, took beautiful photos. The sea kayaking (two people) was amazing, it was my first time in a kayak and wasn't difficult at all, although my arms were tired at times. The town is cute, not a lot to do, but it is a nice walk. I'm going back to Alaska in August (fourth trip) and we changed ships, so we have Skagway instead of Sitka. :o

any more info on the loop bus? Where do we buy tickets (on the bus or at a stand)? Where does it stop? Does it offer any commentary?

THANKS!

Transit Shuttle

May-Sept, Monday through Friday. Shuttle operates one hour after ship arrives in port up until ship departure. Stops every 25-30 min. at Crescent Harbor Shelter, Sheldon Jackson Museum, Sitka Nat’l. Historical Park, Alaska Raptor Center, a downtown stop by Random House, the Tribal Community House, O’Connell Bridge docking area. $10 per person all day pass; $5 per person round trip. (907) 747-7290. * Shuttle only runs on days when there are scheduled to be 1000 or more Cruise Ship visitors in town.

Can anyone tell me when they did the kayaking and what company they used.

Aso - I read somewhere that their is a kayak vendor that sets up near the dock (just can't remember if it was Sitka) - any info on that would be appreciated.

You can check venders here- http://www.sitka.org

Archived