Review - Navigator of the Seas June 24, 2006 - Western Caribbean

OK, so this isn't exactly a "just off" thread, but I still wanted to post my review. If you want to just skip over the review entirely, feel free to ask any questions about the Navigator or the cruise in general.

Disclosure of Bias

I am a teen who cruised with my parents. This cruise was only my second. My first was in June 2004 on the Mariner of the Seas, and it was an incredible experience. I knew what to expect from a Voyager-class ship, and my standards of comparison were very high.

Pre-Cruise

Booking

The cruise was booked directly through our Royal Caribbean representative. She did an excellent job (just like she did for our Mariner cruise). She was very attentive and took a personal interest in doing whatever she could to make our cruise experience special.

We were originally booked on the Mariner for June 18th. A few snow days in January would mean a slightly longer school year, however, so we decided to change our booking to the Navigator on June 24th because it had the same Western Caribbean itinerary. Changing the booking was very easy; no problem at all.

Getting There

We live in Rhode Island, and we took Southwest as usual because they have the most flights from Providence. Booking our flights to Fort Lauderdale was very easy, and my dad was able to use his Rapid Rewards credits to cover his transport. Both flights (PVD-MCO and MCO-FLL) were on time, and Southwest’s service was courteous and efficient as expected. No lost luggage either!

We once again flew down the day before to save ourselves some stress, so obviously we needed a hotel. We chose the Dania Beach Marriott Courtyard, which was right next to the airport and provided a free shuttle. The hotel was very new and was quite clean. No complaints here!

In order to get from Ft. Lauderdale to the Port of Miami, we hired A Family Limousine out of Davie, FL. The driver arrived over a half hour early and was efficient and personable, and the car was very clean. We used them on our return trip as well. If we ever sail from Miami again, we’ll definitely use them again.

Embarkation

Since we were picked up early, we got to the port around 10:30. We knew we would have to wait for a while. The Navigator was being inspected by Customs and Immigration, which significantly slowed down the disembarking passengers. The waiting area in Miami became quite crowded in no time. Royal Caribbean started the check-in process around 11:30 but warned us that the ship would not be ready for boarding until approximately 12:30.

Check-in itself was a breeze. The line for priority embarkation was incredibly short, and the SetSail Pass made the process even easier. The process soon deteriorated, however. Pier agents gave contradictory statements regarding where we had to line up for embarkation and honestly weren’t much help. We ended up in yet another line, and we eventually were able to get on the gangway a few minutes before 12:30.

Ports of Call

Day 3 – Labadee

In all honesty, I wasn’t very excited about Labadee, but it turned out better than I expected. The beach was beautiful and quite relaxing, and I played soccer with some other teens. The rest of the day I just relaxed on the beach. The ribs prepared on the ship on brought ashore were quite good, and we had no concerns about food safety. I really enjoyed Labadee because I felt quite safe there and there wasn’t too much hassling from the locals. We passed on the straw market, however, because the salespeople were very aggressive.

Day 4 – Jamaica

Like most first-time visitors, we chose to climb Dunn’s River Falls. We booked an RCCL excursion that got us there on a "specially designed motor yacht that provides the utmost in safety and comfort." Well, it did get us there safely, but let's just say it wasn't the most modern or luxurious craft! The climb was exhilarating, but the return sail was hardly the promised "true Jamaican carnival" with "colorful dancers." The crew offered us punch and hawked some cheesy souvenirs, but that was about it. Just be firm but polite in your refusals, and you'll be fine.

Day 5 – Grand Cayman

I was eagerly anticipating our stop in Grand Cayman because a friend of mine had spent a week there a couple of years ago and had a wonderful time.

Since our excursion was very early, we finally tried room service and enjoyed breakfast on our balcony -- a very convenient and relaxing move!

Our excursion included an island tour, the compulsory visit to Hell, and viewing Stingray City on a semi-submersible. The bus driver and the staff on the boat and semi-submersible were both personable and professional. I would highly recommend this excursion to those who want to see the stingrays but aren't interested in snorkeling. We took photos with a one-time use waterproof camera, and they came out better than expected. Also made a stop at the Tortuga rum cake factory (free samples!) and we brought some home as well. Wish we had purchased more.

I enjoyed Grand Cayman's natural beauty. It was clean, and shopping was hassle-free with no pushy salespeople.

Day 6 – Cozumel

Our day in Mexico was planned to be less hectic than our other stops. We did not book an excursion; we just planned to walk around and shop a bit. The VIP tender passes from the concierge made getting to the island a breeze, and taxi service in Cozumel was easy to find and relatively inexpensive.

We did the bulk of our shopping at Los Cinco Soles. The store was clean and had a wonderful assortment of merchandise. The staff was polite, helpful, and most importantly, not pushy. They wrapped our breakables in bubble wrap, so we got them home without any disasters. I was also able to practice my Spanish a bit there.

Meet & Mingle

Our Meet and Mingle went very well. Fifty-nine people were registered, and about 30 came. Luckily RCCL finally heard our complaints and moved the event from the Dungeon at 5:30 p.m. on the first formal night to the Viking Crown at 11:30 a.m. It just so happened that Captain Bang and his wife graciously attended and were very generous with their time. They made us feel very welcome. It was great to meet everyone we had chatted with on the boards for six months, and we hope to keep the roll call going!

Ship Facilities

First, our cabin (1560-Grand Suite) was beautiful. Everything was very clean. We did have a few operational problems, however. One of the drawers in the bar area had broken bearings and was difficult to open, so we had to call maintenance for that. They got to us fairly quickly, but by the end of the week, the problem had reoccurred. We also had a non-flushing toilet for a little while. They were having problems with some of the lines on our deck. Not terrific when there are 3 people sharing a bathroom! The outages were short, however, no more than an hour, and they never happened while we were getting ready for dinner.

The entire ship was clean and well-maintained. We noticed that many of the rugs were new, and we saw the staff opening cartons of new bedding. The only broken things I could find were some elevator buttons in the aft Centrum. The upper panels (saying what’s on each deck) in the elevators also looked a bit worn. But these are all minor things. RCCL is taking care of the Navigator well.

Food

The food was excellent throughout the entire cruise. I actually found the main dining room food better on the Navigator than the Mariner. (If anyone cares, I would have to say my favorite dish was an appetizer – scallops with risotto – it was great!)

We also tried the Windjammer one night for dinner. It was actually better than expected!

The Windjammer and Café Promenade were both great for breakfast, lunch, and snacks, as I expected. I really missed those chocolate chip cookies!

We finally had room service on our balcony because we had an early excursion in Grand Cayman. I really like how Room Service calls when your order is on its way.

Cruise Staff

Captain Bang did an excellent job. It is very obvious that both he and his staff take a sincere interest in making sure that everything is running smoothly.

Our cabin attendant, Nilda, was excellent. She was super fast and kept our cabin in tip-top shape.

Our table staff, Hepburn and Cynthia, did a superb job. I really can’t say more than that! Hepburn was always cheerful and he always made us feel welcome, like he was very happy to see us. My Dad likes lime in his Diet Coke, and every evening, Cynthia brought a small plate of lime pieces before his Coke would arrive. After one dinner, they keep track of what you like, and it's there every night. We've had two cruises with excellent wait staff.

Our head waiter was much better on this trip. He was very attentive and personable and stopped by to chat with us each night. The fellow on the Mariner only seemed to pop up once tip night was drawing near. We loved our singing and dancing dining room staff! They certainly were a spirited group.

The cruise director, Graham Seymour, surpassed all of my expectations. His comedic skills were excellent. His morning show was hilarious as well as informative. I can’t wait to watch his DVD!

German, the concierge, was excellent. I appreciated his form e-mail before the cruise, and his mass voicemails every night. He was very quick in answering our questions, and was very helpful in providing tickets for the Ice Show and tendering in Grand Cayman.

Finally, Erika, who handled most of the teen activities in Fuel, also did an excellent job. I liked her much better than the teen staff members on the Mariner. She scheduled some terrific activities and was fun to hang out with.

Entertainment

Entertainment was very good on the ship, I’ll just cover the highlights (of what I saw):

• Bobby Collins was hilarious. I want one of his CDs!
  • The Ice Show was simply amazing! You've got to see the hula hoops! This was a more athletic show than we saw on the Mariner, and the skaters were just incredible.
  • Beatlemania was just OK. They sounded fine, don’t get me wrong, but I have this sneaking suspicion they were “assisted” by a couple of recordings.
  • The Love and Marriage game was hilarious!
  • The shows sometimes have much recorded music that is a little obvious that the background singers aren't really singing (but who knows, I could be imagining things :D).

Shopping

Shopping onboard was pretty good. I got the compulsory t-shirts and also found a great deal on a watch. I really wish that RCCL would improve on the ship models they sell in the logo shop, however.

Disembarking

Disembarking was very easy. Breakfast at the Windjammer was crowded as expected, but people were moving off the ship at a good pace. Being able to choose our baggage color (another perk of the suite life) was a big help. Customs was a breeze, and it didn’t take long to find our bags.

Getting Home

The other driver from A Family Limousine was early and got us to the airport very quickly. Since we got off the ship so early we got to the airport five hours before our flight home, so we had to wait for an hour before Southwest was able to check our luggage. The flight home (FLL-BWI-PVD) was easy. PVD is just a tad screwy right now as the terminal is being renovated, but it was no big deal.

Random, Useless, Comments

• Overall, I liked the artwork on the Navigator better. I missed the Mariner’s pool art, however.
  • Is “it will be my pleasure to serve you” RCCL’s new service buzzphrase?
  • It would be simply wonderful if RCCL would enforce the dress code in the dining room. If some cruisers want a more casual atmosphere, there are other eating venues available. You certainly won't starve anywhere on this ship!
  • The Mariner seemed to have a greater variety of elevator music that changed style every couple of days. It went from Classical, to Classic Rock, to Modern. The Navigator just had Modern. But, does anyone really care?

Overall Experience

This cruise was simply amazing. The Navigator is a beautiful ship, and I can understand why many consider her to be their favorite. I would definitely sail her again! I’m 100% satisfied with RCCL and can’t wait until I sail the Liberty in 2008. My countdown clock is already ticking on my desktop!

You have written a wonderful review. I would guess you must be an excellent student.

Thanks for making me more excited for my upcoming navigator sailing!

Thanks for the nice comments. You should be excited - the Navigator is a wonderful ship!

As an ex high school English teacher....i wish all my students could write as well as you....if fact your review is as well written as many of the adults on these boards....

Hope you have only started a life of travel and crusing...

Want to suggest a travel book you might enjoy...

It is called "Honeymoon with My brother." It is written by a local friend of our family...Our sons...24 and 26 just loved it...

about two brothers who travel the world....:)

As an ex high school English teacher....i wish all my students could write as well as you....if fact your review is as well written as many of the adults on these boards....

Hope you have only started a life of travel and crusing...

Want to suggest a travel book you might enjoy...

It is called "Honeymoon with My brother." It is written by a local friend of our family...Our sons...24 and 26 just loved it...

about two brothers who travel the world....:)

Thanks for the comments/suggestion!

Any specific advice for a 14 year old going on the Navigator? She and I aren't always on the same page (no surprise there). What are the "not to miss" activities for her?

Well, I was in the 15-17 group this time, but 12-14 and 15-17 do similar things. There wasn't a "not to miss activity," to tell you the truth. The big event is the Fuel parties every night, but 15-17 does that more often. The teen staff was excellent - your daughter will love the Navigator! Sorry that I can't answer your question much more.

Just one question. Oh and by the way GREAT REVIEW!!!

DId you or someone else bring the soccer ball or were there some to borrow?

Thanks

I didn't bring a soccer ball, and I didn't notice any. But there had to be because one activity was a staff vs. guests soccer game.

Great review! I know you wern't in the 18-20 age group but did you notice if 18-20 year olds were allowed to great beer and wine on the ship still?

Yes, 18-20 guest could get beer and wine (with waiver signed, of course). I don't think the new policy has been put in place yet anywhere in the fleet (please correct me if I'm wrong).

You have written a wonderful review. I would guess you must be an excellent student.

Thanks for making me more excited for my upcoming navigator sailing!

Agree on both counts! Very nicely written review and given that we're in a Grand Suite on October 14, I really enjoyed hearing about it, the priority tendering, etc. SO excited!

So where are you going next? :0)

Agree on both counts! Very nicely written review and given that we're in a Grand Suite on October 14, I really enjoyed hearing about it, the priority tendering, etc. SO excited!

So where are you going next? :0)

Thanks for the kind words. You'll just love the Grand Suite! Have you sailed in one in a Voyager-class before? The only reason I mention this was that our cabin this time was a complete mirror image of our cabin on the Mariner - very disorienting at first! :D

Right now we're booked on a fake April 2008 cruise on the Liberty because June 2008 isn't open yet. The intinerary is great - St. Juan, Labadee, and St. Maarten, with three at sea days. This will be my graduation present, and sadly, the last cruise mom and dad pay for! :D

Yes, 18-20 guest could get beer and wine (with waiver signed, of course). I don't think the new policy has been put in place yet anywhere in the fleet (please correct me if I'm wrong).

What's up Dan. Guess who haha. On the Jewel this past April, guests 18-20 COULD get the waiver signed and could get beer and wine. However, that was what they were limited to I believe. No hard liquor (unless you get your buddys who are 21+ to buy you some :D)

You'll just love the Grand Suite! Have you sailed in one in a Voyager-class before? The only reason I mention this was that our cabin this time was a complete mirror image of our cabin on the Mariner - very disorienting at first! :D

No, last year we snagged a JS Aft on the Mariner - we did love the extra deep balcony but decided to go for it w/the Grand Suite this year!

:) Great review. I loved the Navigator but I'm not very good at writting reviews so I was interested to read yours. I have to say, you do not write like a teen but a mature adult. Glad to have met you, your Mom and Dad.

Take care.

Mike

Paula and Melissa say Hi

You seem to be a very mature young man with a natural ability for writing.

It was a pleasure to read your review. You got right to the point about what you were describing and gave the important facts that people want to know about.

Los Cinco Soles is my favorite store to shop in when I visit Cozumel

and I am looking forward to going back there in September.

Thank you again for a great review. ;)

What's up Dan. Guess who haha. On the Jewel this past April, guests 18-20 COULD get the waiver signed and could get beer and wine. However, that was what they were limited to I believe. No hard liquor (unless you get your buddys who are 21+ to buy you some )

Hey Steve! :D Never knew you registered here.

We do the western trip on NOS next week and can't wait! Thank you for your wonderful review! You seem to be very wise for your age!

You'll love the ship and the itinerary! Thanks for the kind comments.

Great review. I loved the Navigator but I'm not very good at writting reviews so I was interested to read yours. I have to say, you do not write like a teen but a mature adult. Glad to have met you, your Mom and Dad.

Take care.

Mike

Paula and Melissa say Hi

Hey Mike - thanks for reading the review and the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise as well! It was a pleasure to meet you, your family, Connie, Shell, Sherry, and Greg. I'm sure we'll all keep in touch via the Roll Call, and Melissa and I IM about every day.

You seem to be a very mature young man with a natural ability for writing.

It was a pleasure to read your review. You got right to the point about what you were describing and gave the important facts that people want to know about.

Los Cinco Soles is my favorite store to shop in when I visit Cozumel

and I am looking forward to going back there in September.

Thank you again for a great review.

Thanks for the compliment, Alexis! Yes, Los Cinco Soles was my favorite store of the whole trip. It was clean, had good merchandise, and most importantly, the salespeople didn't hassle us! Enjoy your trip in September!

If I have some time this week maybe I'll post a few photos. I'm already eyeing a few that could be potential desktop images. Anyone interested?

Cheers,

You done a wonderful job here. I really enjoyed reading about our week on the N. O. S. We enjoyed meeting you and your parents. It was fun to put a face to the posts on the boards after so many months of waiting.

Thanks again for a great job. Keep in touch. Hope we meet again one

day.

Great review PVD . . . just curious to know if you're interested in some sort of travel industry profession?

Thanks! Honesly, I'm not really sure where I want to go. I really like technology, which is what my current job is focused on, but travel really interests me as well. So, we'll see what happens. :D

You done a wonderful job here. I really enjoyed reading about our week on the N. O. S. We enjoyed meeting you and your parents. It was fun to put a face to the posts on the boards after so many months of waiting. Thanks again for a great job. Keep in touch. Hope we meet again one day.

Hi Connie! It was a pleasure meeting you, your family, and your friend as well. I'm glad you liked the review. Hope to meet you again, too!

Connie,

just thought I should tell you that I love your roll call sig! Very clever!

I'm glad you like it! :D (I made it, would you like one for your Roll Call if you have one already?)

Dan:

I just read your review...it was WONDERFUL. I enjoyed reading about our week on the Navigator. I liked the fact that you went from the beginning to the end and you seemed to cover all the important facts in between. Unfortunately, I went to the straw market in Labadee and felt so sorry for those poor people that I just could not haggle with them, Greg had to pull me away, I would have spent a fortune!

I enjoyed meeting you and your mom and dad and have heard from your mom several times. (Did she show you the pictures I sent her?) I hope we all keep in touch and hope we can all cruise again together. I am looking at a 14-day Hawaiian cruise next...not sure about it yet.

Take care, talk to you soon.

Sherry

I'm glad you like it! (I made it, would you like one for your Roll Call if you have one already?)

Yes, I would love one. What info do you need (Ship, roll call link etc..)?

BTW, wonderful review you wrote. Sounds a little bit like our Western trip on the Mariner back in May.

Archived