hawaii rental cars

Captain Canuck

we are on the poh in December and I have booked vans for every port. now I am concerned that I may have used the wrong company as it isnot clear that they do port pickup..anybody have any recommendations. thanks.

All the major car rental companies have toll free numbers, so call yours.

In June all major companies picked up at the pier except Kona, which is tender port. There's a car rental place across the street from the tender dock, but they were NOT efficient, so we did a $5 shuttle to a great snorkeling beach.

In Hilo and Kona AVIS doesnot have shuttles...

In Kona rent through Dollar, they have an office in K. Kamehameha Hotel, opposite the tenders. Cars by reservation only there.

I have tried this...the call centers are far from the actual rental places and they have no idea how things actually work..that is why I am relying on cruise critic people..they have been there and done that

also just checked my reservation and it went from being unlimited miles to 100 a day...may have to change companies just for that unannounced surprise even though I won't likely go over 100

I agree with Lambs. We used Thrifty everywhere ( except Kona where we didnt rent a car). Price and service was great and shuttles were wlays there (Kauii was slow waiting at the counter. I am a Blue Chip member but they didnt have the Blue chip line opened up). Several of these posts say you can put in a promotion code "PC2017" into the web site and get a really great rate. Dont know what thats about - just passing it along in case you do.

We used Hertz on every port - no problems, but was longer wait/drive to airport in Kona - do some research and get the "frequent customer cards" - many are free, they speed things up. We also got off the ship (POAM) early every day so that helped!

Archived