Question about Aero tour

vfb2girls

Since our vacation isn't until next June 2007 I am still trying to fine tune our plans. We are currently planning on staying in Talkeetna for two nights and planning on doing the aero tour of Mt. McKinley flightseeing. But after checking out the site I noticed they offer a tour flying into Denali, is the scenery the same taking this flight into Denali or would we be more satisifed with taking the McKinley tour and then just driving to Denali? We are using Talkeetna as our home base for our Denali tour or would it make more sense to find some place closer? We only plan on spending one day in Denali taking the shuttle tour. I know others find that they need more time in Denali but for us seeing the wildlife up close really isn't that big of deal. Not that we don't enjoy the different animals but we have seen moose and big horn sheep and even bears in the wild before so we would be doing Denali mostly for the views. So if anyone has any input I sure would like to hear about it. I figured that since we have a year to go before our trip this gives us enough time to change things so that our trip will be very enjoyable. And yes we are renting a car for 12 days before our cruise to take in the various sights of Alaska.

You do not want to "base" out of Talkeetna and take the Denali shuttle in the same day, you are 150 miles away from the park entrance. IF Denali Park is not that much interest to you, then perhaps look at other routing?? Spend time in the Kenai, Wrangells, Valdez, fly to Kodiak, Nome, Barrow etc?? With 12 days you have plenty of options to consider in my opinion.

for my preferences, I like flying the summit of McKinley. The trips that include Denali Park for the day offer McKinley flightseeing, but not over the top. A good option if you are not heading north. But if your plans are taking you to Fairbanks- than take your car there , see Denali park, per your preference and continue on your trip to Fairbanks.

BQ, thank you for your suggestions with our touring plan of Denali. Even though Denali is not on our top list of things to see I still feel almost guilty about skipping it, almost like not going to Disney when you visit Orlando. Where then would you suggest we stay then if we do want to spend a day touring Denali? We would want someplace then that allows us to get an early start to the park. And the suggestion on the aero flight, that is what I kind of figured already that the summit fly over would be superior. We also want to do the float raft trip out of Talkeena, are you familiar with this tour? Once again thank you for your advice, your knowledge of Alaska has help me in so many ways fine tune what we hope will be a wonderful trip.

If Denali Park isn't of interest, then consider Seward, Homer, Anchorage, Whittier??? Request visitor guides from each area. Head to your library and take out Alaska travel books, Fommer's Alaska and Fodor's Alaska are great and concise. Determine where your interests and activities are.

If you do consider Denali Park, I always stay in Healy. 15 min. away and a much quieter than Glitter Gluch. :)

The rafting out of Talkeetna is so so, but I haven't done much there. Post a specific request for more details.

Once again thank you for your suggestions, where in Healy do you stay? I am looking for suggestions for a clean place that isn't really way out there in price. We are spending one day in Anchorage, 5 nights in Homer, two nights in Seward and then the day in Whittier before we board the ship so that area of the state we have covered. The floating raft trip would be through a company called Talkeetna River Guide so if anyone has any comments about this type of excusion I would like to hear about it. I actually have all the guides from the places we plan to visit, it just that with so many chocies it is hard to know which ones to choose so when I get opinions and reviews from others who have taken these trips it makes the planning aspect of the trip much easier. So once again thanks so much and please keep the suggestions coming.

Once again thank you for your suggestions, where in Healy do you stay? I am looking for suggestions for a clean place that isn't really way out there in price. We are spending one day in Anchorage, 5 nights in Homer, two nights in Seward and then the day in Whittier before we board the ship so that area of the state we have covered. The floating raft trip would be through a company called Talkeetna River Guide so if anyone has any comments about this type of excusion I would like to hear about it. I actually have all the guides from the places we plan to visit, it just that with so many chocies it is hard to know which ones to choose so when I get opinions and reviews from others who have taken these trips it makes the planning aspect of the trip much easier. So once again thanks so much and please keep the suggestions coming.

I've read very good things about the Denali Lakeview Inn in Healy: http://www.denalilakeviewinn.com

Archived