Infinity Vancouver Arrival Delayed 7/16/06

SkyGuy747

there is currently a severe gastric problem onboard as my relatives are ill and one is quarantined as a result. Celebrity KNEW of the VIRUS, yet let people board.

B

welcome barfy, i see its your first post. I enjoy that your handle is very simular to what happens with the Noro.

swift healing to your realitives

This is my first time to this site and was looking for what others had to say about our trip. Three out of our group of five got the virus and I hope there is not a problem this week. As you can read in this thread there is quite a bit of incorrect information that gets put out by X. Compound dealing with sick friends, worrying that you are next, not knowing the status of your change in flight plans to get home (we booked through X and could not make changes ourselves unless we wanted to pay about $1,000 per ticket out of our pocket) and customer relations appearing to be confused, missinformed, setting and missing deadlines to communicate to the passengers etc it made for a tough couple of days. Our rebooked trip home to Boston did not begin until an 11:30 p.m. Flight to Houston and then a 10:20 a.m. flight to Boston. Given the illnesses, we found out our itinerary Saturday evening (after looking into it for a day and a half) we were pretty upset. We did book a hotel room in Vancouver at our expense to nurse the sick from the planned debarkation time of 2:30 in until the red eye flight.

I undertand the situation was difficult for everyone but I was very dissapointed in the lack of professionalism and communication of the staff on board.

For example, we had called the travel center in Miami on Saturday from the ship and they told us the new travel info had been sent the night before. It goes on and on from there.

I have taken two cruises on other lines years ago and this last one confirmed to me that they can be great but when problems arise the crew is not skilled or equiped to handle issues out of the norm adequately.

The parts we did enjoy were awesome and I hope those of you going in the future have a great trip.

We actually received a postcard from the kayaking guide who took us on an excursion in Ketchikan. How nice is that?

Our hike to a glacier in Juneau was one of the best things we have done including multiple trips to Hawaii (which we love)

This is my first time to this site and was looking for what others had to say about our trip. Three out of our group of five got the virus and I hope there is not a problem this week. As you can read in this thread there is quite a bit of incorrect information that gets put out by X. Compound dealing with sick friends, worrying that you are next, not knowing the status of your change in flight plans to get home (we booked through X and could not make changes ourselves unless we wanted to pay about $1,000 per ticket out of our pocket) and customer relations appearing to be confused, missinformed, setting and missing deadlines to communicate to the passengers etc it made for a tough couple of days. Our rebooked trip home to Boston did not begin until an 11:30 p.m. Flight to Houston and then a 10:20 a.m. flight to Boston. Given the illnesses, we found out our itinerary Saturday evening (after looking into it for a day and a half) we were pretty upset. We did book a hotel room in Vancouver at our expense to nurse the sick from the planned debarkation time of 2:30 in until the red eye flight.

I undertand the situation was difficult for everyone but I was very dissapointed in the lack of professionalism and communication of the staff on board.

For example, we had called the travel center in Miami on Saturday from the ship and they told us the new travel info had been sent the night before. It goes on and on from there.

I have taken two cruises on other lines years ago and this last one confirmed to me that they can be great but when problems arise the crew is not skilled or equiped to handle issues out of the norm adequately.

The parts we did enjoy were awesome and I hope those of you going in the future have a great trip.

We actually received a postcard from the kayaking guide who took us on an excursion in Ketchikan. How nice is that?

Our hike to a glacier in Juneau was one of the best things we have done including multiple trips to Hawaii (which we love)

I'm so sorry your trip ended the way it did. What suggestions do you have for escaping Noro??? All I've heard is handwashing is the key. There's only one more cruise b/w now and mine for X to get this straightened out :o

From all that I have read the hand washing is the best thing. They do have antibacterial hand wash dispensers at all the dining areas. Normal hot water handwashing with soap is supposed to be best. My wife and I did alot of both - especially after the outbreak.

I think some of it is luck or your own immune system as neither my wife nor I ever got it and we did almost everything with our three friends that all got it (parents and one child). We entertain and travel with them alot and they are very clean and usually carry there own antibacterial wash with them all the time.

The room steward was great and cleaned our rooms, bleached the door knobs, changed our linens etc. Our friends unfortunately needed to have their linen's changed in the middle of the night if you know what I mean and the steward could not have been nicer or more accomodating, poor guy. We left a good tip.

Historically, Infinity has had extremely favorable scores with the CDC.

In response to one question regarding avoiding the Noro Virus - my DW for our last three cruises, purchased an antibacterial handwash at Longs to have in her purse when we were in ports. Just asked her the name and unfortunately she can't remember it.

We have always religiously used the hand washing globes on the ship as well as on the pier and at the tender dock. We also used here little bottle in ports prior to eating or drinking. The result is no illness from Noro in five cruises.

Also, when you use the public bathroom facilities on the vessel, make sure that you wash your hands well with soap and water. You will be amazed at how many people we have seen use the facilities and leave without washing their hands. Same goes for pax allowing babies in diapers in the hottubs!

Well, 2 days now.

Looking at the forecast of Juneau, Sitka, and Ketchikan... It looks like rain, rain, rain all week. Ketchikan on Tuesday forecasting Sun , but the rest of the week in all ports, says rain...

DH, says yea, after so much sun and heat here 108, 106, but what I see with rain, is, less viewing for pictures.

I want to take lots of pictures, and if it is raining, I am not so much worried about the camera, as I am the rain making it too foggy, and not clear enough to get a good picture... Oh, I hope and pray for nice weather. Well, at least clear weather.

High of 62 degrees?? I better go and pack some more clothes for cold weather.....

It always says rain all the time on the weather forecasts for that area. It does rain a lot - many of the ports are actually in rain forest areas. However on our cruise last year it said the same thing and we had no rain in any ports - just a little when we landed in Anchorage and a little during the ride back from Denali. Also, even on days when it does rain it doesn't necessarily rain all day, and it doesn't rain so hard it will ruin your day.

I've known others who have said the same thing - rain every day in advance forecasts but not enough to ruin sightseeing on any day.

So don't sweat it over the forecast!

Before we left for our cruise on the ninth the forcast also showed all rain and we had good weather. Some rain when we hiked in Juneau but it did not stop us. I only recall the ship passing through one very quick shower at sea on the way back. Maybe they always predict rain because low clouds hit the mountains and create showers?

I would definately pack layers. I wewnt from wearing shorts around most of the to jeans, a hat and a fleece when near the glacier. Plus there are plenty of blankets on the open decks.

Oh Wonderful,

Thank you for that bit of news. Hopefully, that is how is will be for us.

Any troubles going thru customs with your camera equipment? I heard that sometimes, you have to show proof that it was really yours before you came, and you didn't just buy it on the trip???

Any truth to that rumor?

Thanks very much minniemom...you just gave me something else to worry about....:eek:

I don't think I'll be able to relax until I set my foot on the ship, and by that point , it's too late to fret about anything else.

event.png

bonbon

Didn't mean to do that, but I had heard rumor of that, and I wanted to make sure I didn't have to dig up and find receipts for camera equip.

I am bringing a p/s and I am bringing another digital SLR, with 2 lenses, and I just don't want to get stopped. BUT to be able to find the receipts, they are 2 years old.... Well, at least the camera doesn't look brand new, I use it ALL the time..

And besides, I thought you needed something else to worry about...LOL...

See ya in 2 days... YIKES.....

Hope you all have a great holiday next week, better than our disaster last week. See my messages on the other thread re What a mess, Infinity Alaska. Take disinfectant wipes, etc with you. The hand sanitizers were not widely used by people even after the illness outbreak. Not good!

welsh lady

I sure do hope they compensated you for trip or part of your trip.

So people weren't using the hand sanitizers? Why NOT???

Crazy I guess. Well, rest assured I will. I have the lotion or gel in the bottles, I think I might go look for the disenfectant wipes. And take those along too.

I guess they would have those at a Target???

Thanks for the wishes and the information

On the 7/9-16 trip I brought a small digital point and shoot, a digital SLR body, two film SLR bodies and lenses in my carryon. Not even a hint of an issue. The security people even hand checked the film for me to avoid x-raying it.

I am from the US - the ship is technically the US as is Alaska so I did not have to even list the items I bought on the US cutoms form. For Canada I did not have to list items unless they are brought as gifts for people in Canada.

Skippy11

That is so good to hear. Thanks for replying so soon. We leave Sunday AM.

Now another ? did you use all your equipment? I am worrying I am taking too much equip. I am just afraid I will get out and see all this incredible nature, and be kicking myself over and over for not bringing them. So, I feel like with 2 lenses I am ok. OH and a video camera too??? Well, Thanks for the reply I feel better now.. I am a 4 generation Californian, so I am a US citizen too.

Thank you again...

bonbon

I sure hope not..

I am getting tired of the ups and downs... I am only staying up..We fly into Vancover early tomorrow morning too.

I am bringing my sanitizers, and a good attitute.

We will have a great time.

Send me an email and we will discuss where we should meet.

Minniemom and bonbon,

I hope you both have FABULOUS vacations!!!!! Keep Infinity in tip top shape, I will be on her in a week, cc 7208! Looking forward to hearing from you!!

Happy sailing!

Christine

Well, 2 days now.

Looking at the forecast of Juneau, Sitka, and Ketchikan... It looks like rain, rain, rain all week. Ketchikan on Tuesday forecasting Sun , but the rest of the week in all ports, says rain...

DH, says yea, after so much sun and heat here 108, 106, but what I see with rain, is, less viewing for pictures.

I want to take lots of pictures, and if it is raining, I am not so much worried about the camera, as I am the rain making it too foggy, and not clear enough to get a good picture... Oh, I hope and pray for nice weather. Well, at least clear weather.

High of 62 degrees?? I better go and pack some more clothes for cold weather.....

For Alaska, definitely pack for any weather eventuality. Layers, layers, layers. We had some rain on our last Alaska cruise, but not enough to ruin our excursion plans. It didn't rain all day, and it was not heavy rain. It may change your opportunity for photos some, but the sun will come back out!

Dandylyon

When you say layers, is it really cold?? 62 is cold, but is it like Winter cold in Central California?? It does get cold, no snow but cold. I guess when it is 111 degrees out right now, I can hardly stand to touch the sweatshirts. Do I need gloves and a hat for glacier day?? I have a sweatshirt and a light raincoat packed , is that enough but let me know soon, we leave at 4am for the airport tomorrow

Archived