Catholic Mass on Crown Princess?

pianoman24601

I know that Princess' materials say that they offer certain religious services (including Catholic Masses) on Christmas and Easter, but when we have been on Royal Caribbean in the past, there usually has been a priest on the cruise who has held a Mass on Sundays during the cruise. So I was wondering about people's experiences on Princess- have they ever offered Masses on regular Sundays, despite what the cruise line printed materials say?

Our ship will be at sea on Saturday evening and Sunday for our sailing, so we'd have no other options.

Thanks for any insight on this!

During the our Christmas cruises, Princess has always had a Catholic priest onboard to say Mass as well as a Rabbi for Jewish services and Hannukah. For all the other cruises we have been on during the year, the Captain will lead a non-demoninational service on a Sunday. There is usually a collection taken for the charity of seamen and sailors lost at sea or something to that effect. :)

From the Princess Patter (CB, January, 2006):

Sunday, 10:00 AM - INTERDENOMINATIONAL CHURCH SERVICE

Conducted by Staff Captain Craig Street

Accompanied by Pianist Jozef Sobolewski

Explorer's Lounge, Deck 7

Friday, 5:30 PM - JEWISH SABBATH SERVICE

As we do not have a Rabbi onboard we kindly ask a

fellow passenger to conduct the service.

Card Room, Deck 5

DH and I have not sailed on a Princess ship during any holiday/holy day seasons, but the above religious services have been offered on all of our sailings.

Chris

pianoman24601,

On the 7/2 sailing we had a Catholic priest on board who said daily mass in Club Fusion either at 8 or 9AM. This was because a group of his parishioners from his NJ church brought him on board with them. I am not sure if they paid for his trip as well. Our Sunday mass was standing room only and held in Adagio's which was way too small. They told the priest every other room was booked.

They did hold 2 Sabbath services on Friday night again because of the space issue.

MARAPRINCE

Thanks for the replies. I figured that it probably would be a hit or miss kind of thing- if there's a priest that happens to be on the cruise, there might be a Mass, if not, apparently there won't. If anyone has any other experiences with this, please feel free to share them.

We're cruising at Xmas this year and next on Royal Caribbean and this is one of our concerns. Some people may shrug it off and say "ok" we missed services but, for Christmas...it's different, we would be very disappointed if mass isn't scheduled, we're truly hoping for the best, especially for our 2007 Christmas cruise since we'll be at sea both Christmas Eve and Christmas day. If anyone has any information about mass on Royal Caribbean during Christmas, I'd appreciate it.

Nick

I was just on the 7/11 sailing and there were 2 Catholic priests on board and they held a 5:30 Mass on Saturday evening in the Explorer's lounge. I didn't notice any other listing for masses.

Maybe that's why we did tip all the way over. We were doubly blessed.

Fran

We have sailed on Princess over 15 times and only once was there a Catholic Priest onboard to say daily and Sunday Mass. We were on "Ocean Princess"10 day Caribbean Cruise.

We sailed NCL Dawn December 9 two years ago and there was a Mass every day. Jewish services were also held around 4pm daily.

We are sailing Crown Princess on Saturday, Sept 30. If there is no Mass, I can search on tv Sunday morning. I could always bring a Mass booklet from church for the cruise and read it on Sunday. I've often attended non-denominational services on vacation--sometimes on top of Loon Mtn. A minister or priest doesn't make much difference to me because the message comes from the same book. I may opt for that if I don't oversleep--which often happens on vacation.

I know that Princess would like to have a priest/minister/rabbi on each cruise. I checked into it since I am an Anglican priest - they provide crew type accomodations for them. However, I am usually vacationing and prefer the balcony staterooms...I keep working on that worldly issue. :o

On one of our cruises there happened to be a newly ordained Roman Catholic priest. He provided daily Catholic services, mainly for his family and friends. On Sundays, every cruise I've been on, the Cruise Director led "non-denominational" services which were pretty much taken from the English/Anglican Book of Common Prayer. When he found out I was sitting in the "congregation" he was ready to hand the service over to me. Again the offering was made to benefit ministry to seamen.

On Fridays, if there isn't a rabbi on board, I have seen a Jewish layman lead Sabbath services.

For the major holy days, Princess does attempt to get someone ordained to lead the appropriate service for the holy day. Maybe this could be my in for retirement! I could cruise and be the chaplain! My wife would love that. :)

Rich a.k.a

We're cruising at Xmas this year and next on Royal Caribbean and this is one of our concerns. Some people may shrug it off and say "ok" we missed services but, for Christmas...it's different, we would be very disappointed if mass isn't scheduled, we're truly hoping for the best, especially for our 2007 Christmas cruise since we'll be at sea both Christmas Eve and Christmas day. If anyone has any information about mass on Royal Caribbean during Christmas, I'd appreciate it.

Nick

RC has them for Christmas and New Year's. Ask over on the RC board - I am sure that they will back me up on this. :)

When we cruised on Celebrity and RCCL we had the a priest on board and he had mass everyday. It was well attended!! I haven't sailed on Christmas or Easter but I thought I read somewhere that services for both Catholic and Jewish were going to be for these holydays. When on Princess we just had an interdenominational service by the Captain. They were asking if someone of the Jewish faith could do services for the sabbath they would provide needed materials. I felt very fortunate to be able to go to Mass when we sailed. The one priest we had on RCCL was a retired priest who was doing prison ministry. He was wonderful!! In fact, he asked me to read the readings at mass. I felt very honored. Hopefully when we sail in Oct. we will have a priest on board. On our last cruise we were in Dominica on Sunday and we did attend mass there. It was a wonderful experience. We had mass at a senior citizen home. A great experience to see how these people put their hearts and souls into the service. I'll remember that for a long time.:)

Attended Sunday Mass on Costa in ship theater. Panamanian cruise on Princess, only offered non-denominational service on Sunday. No Mass. We will be crusing Mexican Riveriera this November and will be at sea Saturday evening and Sunday. I understand we will not be offered a Mass. I'm hoping this will change.:)

Nick

I've been on Royal Caribbean 3 times (one a holidy cruise over New Years) and all three have had a Catholic priest on board who said Mass on Sunday (or Saturday late afternoon). I seem to recall that the fine print in the back of their brochure indicates that they offer religious services on Sundays.

We have been on 5 Princess cruises and each one had the CD lead an interdenomination service on Sunday morning. Both HAL and X have priests who offer Mass daily. We haven't sailed any other lines to know. Hope this helps.

Archived