Northern Lights

cruise junky joan

It was my experience that it was possible to see the Aurora as early as late September in Fairbanks. But it was rare. I heard tell of people who had seen it earlier but that is even more rare. As a general rule, December January February are the best times.

When it gets down to -20 or -30 the air is crystal clear and it shines like a bridge to heaven. Get to -40 below and ice fog is likely to interfer with seeing it from town. The cool thing is that while you are standing around waiting for the aurora to appear, you can amuse yourself by taking steaming hot cups of coffee straight from the pot. Then toss the contents and watch it turn to ice crystals before it hits the ground :)

Sorry but odds are very slim at that time of the year. Simply not dark enough until at least mid to late September. There is excellent information on the aurora at the University of Alaska Fairbanks Museum of the North.

I have seen Northern Lights several times beg of Sept. BUT you need to invest considerable time if a priority. Meaning several days there and not on a cruisetour, since you have none of your own transportation. Especially with your Fairbanks reference, you don't view them in Fairbanks if you really want to see the full potential, you get OUT of town. I always drive up the Steese and park just over the hill past the Chena Hot Springs exit.

I DAILY, check the Fairbanks U Geophysical site, if you want to see them, I suggest you do too. http://www.gi.alaska.edu/cgi-bin/predict.cgi

As an example, last year I was in Alaska 19 days, I saw the aurora ONCE. And I was on top of every day's potential, which most are not.

You need clear dark skys, meaning no cloud cover and the ability to clearly see stars. Even a full moon will impact.

I've made two trips to Fairbanks in March- this is the time to go for an aurora priority- just spectacular. :)

I thought from the start of september there is a pretty good chance of seeing the aurora borealis in fairbanks, and a smaller chance of seeing it from denali. Not true?

NOT true. Sorry.

Hi All,

I am leaving for my first time cruise and visit to Alaska in a few weeks, I will be there for three weeks total! I will get up every night (when its dark) and look for the lights even though I know that I am foolishly chasing a fantasy that will not happen! Every night I will think "maybe tonight..."

Amelia

Archived