Worth the Money???

jnshenry

We are booked for the February 28th 2007, Sapphire Princess, cruise leaving Sydney. We live in Northern California, so we would be flying from San Francisco, straight to Sydney, which is a 14 hour flight. We have a son who will have just turned 2 when we leave for the trip. He is not going with us, but staying with my sister and mom. We will be away from him for over 2 weeks, which will be difficult. And the money we will spend is HUGE.

I just wonder if this trip is really worth the money and time? I really want to see all the sights, but is it really worth the money or should we take a land trip?

Any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawna

Hi Shawna

If you're talking about the cruise from Sydney to New Zealand it is fantastic and worth what it costs. We've only done 5 cruises but that was my DH's favorite. We also spent a few days in Auckland and took the land package to Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef. We took the tour in 2004 and are still talking about it. Edna

We are booked for the February 28th 2007, Sapphire Princess, cruise leaving Sydney. We live in Northern California, so we would be flying from San Francisco, straight to Sydney, which is a 14 hour flight. We have a son who will have just turned 2 when we leave for the trip. He is not going with us, but staying with my sister and mom. We will be away from him for over 2 weeks, which will be difficult. And the money we will spend is HUGE.

I just wonder if this trip is really worth the money and time? I really want to see all the sights, but is it really worth the money or should we take a land trip?

Thanks,

Shawna

To see both NZ and Aus by a land trip would take ages and you would be away from your young son even longer. The cruise will be a great way to get a flavour of both countries and then you can start planning a longer land tour for when your son can join you and enjoy the experience. RV or as we call them camping vans, is a great way to see NZ especially and even Aus if you have enough time. Its a bit like trying to see all of the USA, Aus is just as large. I dont think you will be dissapointed from the feedback we receive from the passengers we meet [and we meet a lot of them]. If you want any further advice from a local [NZ] we would be pleased to assist. Regards Ian {Tauranga]. NZ

Thanks,

Shawna

is really worth the money and time?......we think so......we booked the February 4th Sapphire trip and think it will be worth to see this beautiful part of the world....:)

We are planning a 4-5 day land stay in New Zealand after the cruise to spend more time in NZ.

But we have never forgiven them for taking the America's Cup from San Diego....:)

is really worth the money and time?......we think so......we booked the February 4th Sapphire trip and think it will be worth to see this beautiful part of the world....:)

We are planning a 4-5 day land stay in New Zealand after the cruise to spend more time in NZ.

But we have never forgiven them for taking the America's Cup from San Diego....:)

Hope you dont have any Swiss blood, as we intend taking it back again next year from the Swiss team in Valencia [seems real odd to have a country which is land locked, only has a small lake [lake Geneva] and who's crew is mostly non swiss, being holders of such a great trophy]. So plan on being back in NZ in 5 years time for a re-run of the great Americas Cup a few years back. Theres quite a view here that we should re-name the event the New Zealand Cup! Just joking. Regards Ian [Tauranga] NZ

The Australia/NZ cruise is worth every penny. It is a unique experience in a place most people never get to visit. I always wanted to wait until I retired before I went "Down Under" so I could spend a month looking around. It just didn't make sense to go that far for a couple weeks. I am so glad that I didn't wait, since now I know that I still need to go back and spend a month looking around. One of my main reasons for wanting to go to Australia was to dive the Great Barrier Reef. There was no way to do it in the 2.5 weeks we were there and I am glad I didn't since there was so much I would have missed if I had tried to go to that part of Australia. Since Australia is as large as the mainland USA, there is no way to see it all; but taking this cruise will give you a taste of these two wonderful countries. You will definitely want to come back for seconds and thirds. :D

• 1 month later...

You certainly don't sound sold on the idea of leaving your baby, flying 14 hours, and taking this particular cruise! Why even consider it at this time? There are so many wonderful destinations much closer to home at far less money.

Shawna,

Even though I would love you to visit our country and see what a great life we have down here, I would not contemplate leaving a 2 year old for two weeks or more. It is such an important time in their little lives and they are learning so much. You would be looking at every child either on board the ship or in the streets or on TV and just wishing your little one was with you.

You would not be doing both N.Z. and Australia justice as your heart would be far away. Why not take a weeks cruise closer to home (we found a week was fine to be away from our little one when she was 2 years) and leave visiting our country until you have more time as there is just so much to see over here and either bring your children with you or they will be old enough to leave for longer.

Jennie

Thanks,

Shawna

What ports are you going to in NZ and Australia. I did a two week coach tour in New Zealand, it is a very a nice country I also saw syndey and adeliade Australia while I was on my 4 week vacation.

My first thoughts are how many days at sea are there?

If there are too many sea days, skip it and go on land. Why travel all that way, be away from your 2 year old to be on the same ship you could be on closer to home?

I love cruises and have never been on one to Australia or NZ.

However, I've been to Australia 5 times and NZ once. Every cruise itinerary I've look at had too many seas days for us. The cruiselines charge a premium for being in Oz and NZ, so I want to see the sites, not the ship! On a cheaper Carribbean cruise, I don't mind being on the ship.

It's easy to do a two week land trip there

2or3 days Sydney

2or3 days Melbourne

3 days Great Barrier Reef

3 days Auckland/Rotorua

(actually I'd do 3 days Mel and 2 days Syd, because I prefer Melbourne)

That's 11 days and three travel days. Easy to plan, good value for the money, low crime, english is native language, so not a hassle at all.

Archived