??? for past Sept Zuiderdam cruisers

tvtd4u

My wife and I will be on the Sept 23rd Zuiderdam Alaska Cruise.

What is the best Dog Sled Excursion? There are a couple it seems.

Helicopter to Ice + Sled and Sled Camp.

During this time: Sept 23-Sept 30 Can we expect to see:

Northern Lights?

Bears?

Whales? What kind?

Eagles?

It will be cold, raining? Snowing?

Should we bring Hiking boots?

Snow parkas?

Any input from former Cruisers during this time of the year would be helpful.

Thanks

You are too late for bear tours and glaicer dog sledding. However, if going to Haines, you have a slight chance of brown bears, but if a priority, it would be in your best interest to spend ALL day on the river- waiting and looking. This area is far less frequented in the last few years due to the heavy fishing, too "busy" with people. They also are out way more in the evening.

You have 100% chance of humpbacks on whale watching tours, can also see them briefly from the ship- IF you invest the time and know the areas.

Eagles are everywhere, again, invest the time looking, necessary is a good pair of wide angle binoculars, my definate preference are 10x50's.

You are going in the timeframe of the worse potential weather. Expect temps 40-60, average 3 days of rain, dusk by 7pm. Unless you are planning extensive hiking, walking shoes will work. Leave the winter coats at home, but do take several layers, and good rain gear, Knit hat and gloves- a must.

As for northern lights, you do not state this ship's itinerary, IF going interior Alaska you have a good chance, inside passage- less. Plus the aurora inside passage is way more horizonal compared to all overhead. If a priority, I highly recommend you check DAILY- the predictions and keep well aware of the sighting map. http://www.gi.alaska.edu/cgi-bin/predict.cgi You need dark clear nights, meaning no clouds and clear viewing of stars.

Thanks for the information. The fact that my wife and I are "alone" and on holiday for a week is the greatest...If we have a few days of rain is no big deal. Below you will see our exact Itinerary and ship. If you can amplify on any of the things that we SHOULD see or do, in your humble opinion we be more than pleases.

Thanks.

GLACIER BAY INSIDE PASSAGE

SAILING DATE: September 23, 2006

SHIP: ms Zuiderdam

ITINERARY

Day Port Arrive Depart

0 Vancouver, B.C. 5:00 pm

1 At Sea

2 Tracy Arm, Alaska, Usa 1 8:00 am Noon

2 Juneau, Alaska 2:30 pm 10:30 pm

3 Skagway, Alaska 7:00 am 9:00 pm

4 Glacier Bay Scenic Cruising 1 7:00 am 4:00 pm