Just Back From The Victory

nitnee

Returned yesterday from 5 nighter on Victory. We had not cruised Carnival for about 10 years, and I had a pretty good idea of what to expect given the low price ($1029 inside gtee including fees and taxes).

I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The food was excellent, entertainment top-notch, the ship magnificent, service all over was great. Not too many announcements either. It appears that either Carnival has undergone a major upgrade, or we lucked out. In fact, I would have to say that regardless of price, I would choose Carnival next time over NCL and RCCL.

This was a 10 out of 10. BTW, used "cruise compete" to get best price.

NCL Sunward II

RCCL Nordic Empress (twice)

Carnival Extasy

Carnival Inspiration

Celebrity Century

Celebrity Horizon

RCCL Song of America

Thanks so much nitnee. I've got about a month to go and it's great to read that you had a great time.

I've got a question for you. It's been reported from a recent cruiser that they paid a ton of money to cruise Victory and were served tator tots and bologna. See any of those anywhere on board?;)

Thanks so much nitnee. I've got about a month to go and it's great to read that you had a great time.

I've got a question for you. It's been reported from a recent cruiser that they paid a ton of money to cruise Victory and were served tator tots and bologna. See any of those anywhere on board?;)

I'm sure you can find them if you want, but I didnt see any

goodml,

I read that too. Just the thought of that makes me laugh. Thanks for reminding me and giving me a chuckle! If anyone else has had them, please let us know!

Glad to hear your enjoyed the 5-night Victory cruise. We went earlier this month, and enjoyed it, too. I posted some comments when I returned, but my review is coming soon.... I promise!

Welcome home!

Just got off the Victory and loved every minute of it. I have cruised twice before both times on NCL and thought this was far better. Even my husband who had this cruise forced on him came away with rave reviews. Never saw what the other person mentioned, but there is hamburgers and fries fresh off the grill in the Mississippi BBQ. It was an open grill out by the pool and great when you came in from the shore excursion around 3 starving and dinner was not until 8. This and the pizza were a big hit with my family, along with the wonderful food in the dinning room every night.

Hi all. I am so excited now, that I have been seeing very positive reviews about the Victory! Earlier in the summer I saw some very negative reviews so hopefully, they worked out thier "bugs" and everything is back to wonderful! we are going in just 2 weeks! Lisa! we are STILL waiting for that review! Thanks for the great reviews and info. :D

Thank you so much for a rave review! We are sailing on the Victory in less than 2 weeks. I am so happy to finally hear someone say they were pleased with it! I was beginning to get discouraged after some posters claimed it was awful...bologna and tater tots...no activities...etc.

Again, I am glad you had a wonderful time and thank you for renewing our excitement.

We just got off the Victory last week and we LOVED everything about it! I thought it was just beautiful....food was excellent all over, not just in the dining room. Staff were great and very friendly..good shows, GREAT BEDDING !!

I would go again tomorrow if I could!

I was on the Victory on the 26th of June and had a great time too the food, entertainment, staff and cruise director were all great. Also for whoever claimed that they got served tater tots and bologna must have been very picky as there is pleanty of selection for food onboard. Personally I think Carnival is a great value and very laid back which is nice for a vacation as you want to be able to relax.

Also for whoever claimed that they got served tater tots and bologna must have been very picky as there is pleanty of selection for food onboard.

My 10 YO picky eater loves the hash browns (yes, they look like tater tots) that are served at the breakfast buffet.:D And breakfast is the only time I saw them!

Seriously, in three Carnival cruises we've never had a problem with menus. There may be some nights in the dining room with weaker menus, but I still never had a problem finding something to my liking - it just meant I had less of a choice. The other nights I found myself spending way too much time trying to decide between dishes. Sometimes I ordered two appetizers instead of an appetizer and salad (they will happily bring you two appetizers AND a salad if your appetite permits), and one time DH and I ordered entrees for ourselves and an extra to split. No, it doesn't reach the level of the top restaurants on land - how could it with that many people - but it certainly beats by a long shot the "rubber chicken" entrees at banquet dinners in most hotels!

If they offer a galley tour on your sailing, it's worth the time. We missed it on Victory in 2004 and they didn't offer it on Conquest, but we just took the tour on Legend and it was really an education in how to feed 3,000 people. They pointed out that on Legend there were actually five galleys - one for the main dining room, one for the Lido deck, one for room service, one for the specialty restaurant, and one for the crew's dining room. We toured the main dining room's galley. Victory doesn't have a specialty dining room, but I'd suspect the other four galleys are up and running.

Looking forward to Victory on 8/31!

My 10 YO picky eater loves the hash browns (yes, they look like tater tots) that are served at the breakfast buffet.:D And breakfast is the only time I saw them!

That is the only time that I saw them as well, and I would think that they would be expected at that time of the day. I have always been very happy with the food onboard either in the dining room or the lido deck. Sometimes you just need to be a little adventerous when you travel and try things that you normally wouldn't, after all if you don't like it as for another item cause they are all free.

We are booked on a 5 nighter also. On a previous post, someone said that there were 2 formal nights on their cruise.

Can anyone who was on a 5 nighter comment on this?

Thanks for any info.

Yes, there were two formal nights on our 5-night Victory cruise. However, since this was not indicated in the document package, most pax were not dressed in formal wear that evening. Fortunately, I had a silk pantsuit with me, and my husband and son just wore the same suit they had worn a few nights earlier. Most pax still dressed nicely, just not formally.

sometimes i think the '' bugs '' are not because of the ship but the passenger. you cant please everyone all the time and that is why i try to take the negative reveiws with a grain of salt. the cruise is what you make of it and mine are always great :D .

i love carnival and cant wait to sail again in sept on the victory for my 7 day new england/canda cruise and in april on the legend for 8 days to the panama canal. this is the first time i am double booked :eek: . but i couldnt resist the price and going on both of these cruises :) .

We are booked on a 5 nighter also. On a previous post, someone said that there were 2 formal nights on their cruise.

Thanks for any info.

Yes, they had a second formal night on Thursday when we went on the July 10 five night cruise. Most people were not super dressed (men - tie and shirt no Jacket) on that night and the dining room was more empty then other nights.

I recently called Carnival and asked specifically if the Victory 5 day Canada was having two or one formal nights. The woman I spoke with insisted (even though I told her that people were saying otherwise) that there is only one formal night. I plan on packing accordingly.

Thanks for any info.

Only one formal night. I wore my clean Joe Paterno t-shirt

Only one formal night. I wore my clean Joe Paterno t-shirt

On our (july 10-15) sailing there were 2 formal nights.. the second and 4th nights of the cruise. I saw the same as a previous poster, most folks were dressed down from the first formal night, or ignored it totally, and the dining rooms did seem to be a lot less full. I also dressed down a bit, but i did bring a copy of the page printed off carnivals web site stating how many formal nights there would be on a cruise of 6 days or less. I didn't see anyone stopped for being under dressed at all.

I was on the 10Jul sailing out of NYC and had no idea there was a 2nd formal night and did not even notice it even though we ate in the dining room every night. To be honest with you, we were totally soaked from our day in Halifax and spent most of our time that afternoon trying to dry our jeans and warm up after getting back on ship. Even though we were soaked we still had a great time. My husband and I read the Capers everyday, I guess we somehow missed that one.

There was one other group of 5 nighters, maybe in June, where some posters said their Capers said two formal nights and another poster still had their Capers and it only said one. It seems like there might be a mixup on the Capers themselves.:confused:

Glad to see a couple more happy cruiseres from the VICTORY to Halifax/ St John. My dad and I are scheduled to go AUG 26th

THANKS for the heads up of a 2nd formal night, although I usually pack 2 different dress shirts to switch up with my suit just in case we all at the table decide to dress up one a second time .

Was there the midnight buffet on the cruises that had a 2nd formal night?

Archived