Strange smells on lower decks?

I am booked in an ocean view on deck 2 (Explorer)- I really did not have too much of a choice since I am connected to the in-laws and we needed a quad and a triple cabin. Anyway- I have never stayed down so low before- I guess there is not much of a difference (other than all the stair climbing) but I have noticed on other cruises strange smells in the halls on the lower decks. Now, maybe I am just imagining things but has anybody else noticed an odor on the lower levels?

That is reassuring- not that we spend too much time in the room anyway. Looking at the ship layout of deck 2 I saw there is only the exterior rooms and a large empty space down the middle- is this part of the kitchen. If it is then that would explain it.

I second the stairs- we usually take the stairs because it is shorter than waiting for an elevator. But deck 2 to 12 will be a hike!!! I might not come back with extra personal baggage!

The lower into the belly of a vessel you go, the closer you are to the bad smells. You are nearer to the grey and black water storage/processing areas, the bilge, the engine spaces, the laundry, refuse plant, and other areas where bad smells are produced.

The Old Fart

Archived