Orca Enterprises or Whale Watch and Orca Pt Lodge through ship

lovethecaribbean31

Right now we are booked for the Whale Watch and Orca Point Lodge excursion through our ship (Sapphire Princess). I just called Orca Enterprises and they do have availability for our date and time. Would you recommend this over the ship's tour, and would we really be missing out if we didn't get go to Orca Point Lodge?

Also, I didn't ask about Captain Larry, but if their availability isn't on his boat, do you think it would still be worthwhile to switch from the cruise ship tour?

Thanks very much for your advice!

The rest of my party on the cruise ship earlier this month (4 others) did Capt. Larry's excursion and loved it. I didn't do it since I had done a whale watching tour just a couple of months earlier.

Their comments were extremely positive and that Capt. Larry really knew where the whales were. He also fed some eagles so they came very close to the boat.

From what I have read on this board, booking excursions independently basically gives you a more personalized tour even if it doesn't save you much money.

If it were me, I would book it independently.

There are a number of independent whale watching companies and Orca enterprises is only one. We are going with Harv & Marv's because we can get the whole boat to ourselves and they go at the time that's best for our group. If you go to this page on their website they have links to all of their competitors so you can do a comparison and choose for yourself. I would definately go independent if possible. Check them out:

http://alaskawhalewatch.com/Choices.html

Jeff has a good idea

We just went with Capt Larry and it was awsome. July 9

The big thing we noticed is Capt Larry's boat goes 45 mph and get a lot farther from dock than the boat the cruise ship used Iy goes about 15 mph also there was about 40 of us vs 200 on the cruise ship tour. If I remember right Capt larry was a few dollars less but not a lot.

Ed

There is less whale watching with the lodge combo tour. But the salmon bake there is supposed to be very good?? Depends on your preferences?? I'm always with Orca Enterprises, and yes all their cpt.s are excellent if Larry is full. :)

I am also contemplating booking a whale-watching excursion thru Orca, but, well, I get kinda seasick on small boats, especially when they are out in the open ocean (as opposed to a protected cove). Will that be an issue on this particular excursion? :(

I am also contemplating booking a whale-watching excursion thru Orca, but, well, I get kinda seasick on small boats, especially when they are out in the open ocean (as opposed to a protected cove). Will that be an issue on this particular excursion? :(

No one can answer. :) IF you have the history, I suggest you consult your health care profession and take the best precautions for you. This isn't the place to "try it out", you don't want to waste a minute of your time being ill.

Not having ever gotten sea sick I can't advise you on your chances of it but if you look at a lot of the posts on this board you will see that the whale watching tours are sometimes the highlight of a lot of peoples cruises. I know there are a lot of things you can take for sea sickness and some you can take even bofore you sail so if you want to see whales and it's very important to you then I would do a bit more research on how you can avoid getting sick.

Check your doctor and do a google search for sea sickness remedies and you may be able to enjoy it. I just wouldn't rule it out for fear of the unknown.

• 1 year later...

Archived