Alaska Inside Passage Weather Aug. 30-Sep. 6

CalGal254

Would appreciate any info from those who've been there then as to what I may expect weatherwise during this over-Labor-Day week for Vancouver/Glacier Bay/Skagway/Juneau/Ketchikan run.

Also, anyone been on 3-hr rail only trip out of Skagway? How does it compare with train up and return via bus/salmon bake combo?

Thanks in advance!

We did this trip in September 2005 and the temperature was very nice, mid to upper 60's, 70 ish one day and rain a day or two. Only exception to this was Glacier Bay. It was pretty cold especially in the early morning. Probably 30 ish but we were so amazed it did not bother us at all. It was wonderful.

We went up on the train and it was very good, beautiful views! We took the bus down, stopped at the mining village (little hokey) but we did not do the salmon bake. We instead wanted to have more time left for "in town". Also had read where the salmon bake wasn't all that and a little pricey. All in all a great excursion on the part we did.

You will have fun on anything you do, this is truly an amazing trip of a lifetime!!!

CalGal .....

We also cruised the Inside Passage the first week of September in 2003 on the Star Princess.

The temps were in the 60s during the day, but very comfortable for me. I layered outfits -- shirt, turtleneck, sweatshirt, windbreaker if needed.

We cruised Tracy Arm and it was chilly and rainy that day, so pretty cold. Before I set sail to Alaska I told myself ..... "plan for it to be cold and rainy every single day and if there is great weather, then just be more thrilled that you are in a beautiful place". It worked for me! :)

Alaska is a fabulous cruise - my Webshots have some great pics, especially the exciting helicopter ride to the top of a glacier in Skagway .... truly a highlight!

Enjoy!

mid August - first week of Sept is my most traveled time, over 10++++ trips in this timeframe, just about every year since 1994. Unpredictable is your answer, and you do need to be well prepared in your attire, meaning a wide range of layers, including knit hat and gloves.

The White Pass RR is a top tour choice offering wonderful history and superior scenery. The one way trips are great if of interest?? But be certain if leaving Skagway via rail, sit on the left, leaving White Pass, sit on the right. Bus from Skagway sit on right, from White Pass, sit on left. The salmon bake at Liarsville is usually very good. The recreated gold camp- totally fake, but enjoyable.

Thank you all for your wonderful comments and tips. Last time we cruised Alaska, it was mid-July, and I just wasn't sure how much difference there would be. That time, we did not get to Skagway, as the cruise lines seem to choose either Sitka or Skagway as a port of call.

Budget Queen, I want to be like you and have 10+ cruises on my resume! I especially thank you for the advice on where to sit based on method of conveyance!

Happy traveling!

Archived