Is this dress too "old" for me?

Slyn

I need some opinions. Do you all think there is an age restriction on clothing. I am 33...a young 33 some would say. I have a very casual job in a university setting, and I work with students. I tend to dress pretty much like the average college student. I don't have any children and my husband and I live pretty much the same way we did when we were in our 20s. So with all that being said. Do you think this dress is too old for me?

reddress.jpg

My mother told me it doesn't suit me. But how can a dress have an age limit? I just wanted to hear some feedback on this issue. And yes I bought a dress similar at a great deal. I figure I can have a tailor modify the fit if I look "aged" in it.

The dress is gorgeous and if you are happy with how you look wearing it, then wear it! You can jazz it up with jewelry or leave the jacket off and wear a wrap for a change of pace. I think the color is very nice too, different than the average black. JMHO

Missyal

I need some opinions. Do you all think there is an age restriction on clothing. I am 33...a young 33 some would say. I have a very casual job in a university setting, and I work with students. I tend to dress pretty much like the average college student. I don't have any children and my husband and I live pretty much the same way we did when we were in our 20s. So with all that being said. Do you think this dress is too old for me?

reddress.jpg

My mother told me it doesn't suit me. But how can a dress have an age limit? I just wanted to hear some feedback on this issue. And yes I bought a dress similar at a great deal. I figure I can have a tailor modify the fit if I look "aged" in it.

First, what is the dress to be worn to?

I definately think dresses can have age limits, and there are others that simply don't suit one's shape.There are still others that might look good on no one.:o

I personal opinion is if you are 33, that dress is way too old... matronly, if you will, for you. It is a lot of fabric, heavy looking and long sleeved.If you are planning to wear it on a cruise... to heavy and matronly. But you did not state the occasion, so I don't know.

Granted, I don't know what you look like and I am speaking in generalities.

I don't know that a tailor can make an "aged " or the wrong dress for you right, and don't know why one would try unless they were in a real time limit bind.

Instead, I only buy clothes I feel great in, fit my body appropriately and are the right weight of fabric and design for the occasion.

So, yes, I guess better put.... clothes can age YOU.

Can you give us more info?

I might wear a dress like that (without the jacket), but I'm in my 50's, in my 30's probably would not have worn it. As a matter of fact, I prefer something a little more lowcut. My arms aren't what they once were, but I still have cleavage (although a bit lower now).

When you are young and in great shape, it is the time to strut your stuff. Unless you are the type who is very modest and wants to be covered up, it is too old a dress for a young woman.

The color is very pretty and it would stand out from the crowd.

I'd never buy a dress that needs much tailoring, the cost can be absolutely outrageous. If I were you, I'd keep looking for a dress that you absolutely love, never settle for less.

A bit more info: I needed a dress for my cruise in September. I don't have that much time to shop, so I am feeling a bit rushed with the timing.

As far as my body type - I am very well endowed on top, which makes it hard to find dresses that fit, as I am plus size on top and misses size on the bottom. So no matter the dress, I usually have to get it tailored. I do usually wear dresses that show more cleavage and I tend to wear black. I was trying to add some color this year. But it has been hard to find anything that is "bra friendly". Spaghetti straps and strapless just don't work for me.

Do you think it would be possible for a tailor to perhaps create a v-neck in the dress or something?

I agree with desperatehousewife - you haven't given us much information.

Do you have a nice figure? Do you feel a need to "hide" alot? If so, this dress would be good, because it's not clingy, low cut and covers everything.

Where will you wear this? If it's to an affair that will be attended mostly by academics then you might not want to stand out too much so in that case, this would work.

Speaking in generality's, I think that at 33, you could wear something more young and exciting. It's not an ugly dress - there's nothing offensive about it, but IMHO, it's a bit blah and boring.

Okay... thee the info I was looking for!;)

Given that you sound like you have curves and are just trying to find a dress that works with the curves and not make them stand out.... then I say the dress is for sure to blah and "shrug of the shoulder".

Color, the color itself is great... nothing wrong there. I just, myself do not at all care for the "whole look" for a 33 year old, curvy lady....not fluffy it sounds!

If under that jacket, which is just too heavy IMO, there may be a more flattering dress, but you can't tell from the picture.

Could you cut a v-neck into it? I don't know, I am sure a great tailor could do a lot.... but, would it be worth it?

I still say I would rather invest the money into a great dress from the beginning , rather than take an uninspiring one and MAKE it work.

In other words, would you use a coupon on an item you don't use just b/c it is on sale and then try and find a use for it for the sake of a bargain. Hopefully not... Same concept.

You have plenty of time , my goodness... September right?

If the color is what you like, run with that...but look for something else.

And for crying out loud... IF mom says its blah... then it is!!!!!;) :D

Go shopping, your worth the "WOW!", not .."mmmm. it's okay"

The gown and jacket are an absolutely beautiful color. I would love to have that outfit myself in exactly that color. For the sake of full disclosure, I am 62 years old.

If you like that outfit and it appeals to you, how can it be too old for you? If it were too old for you, you would say to yourself, "Gee, that dress is too old looking for me." Only you know for sure if it is THE dress for you.

I don't think changing the neckline would substantially change the youthfullness or maturity of the dress and jacket. The fabric is part of what may give this ensemble a more mature illusion.

To me part of what makes a dress look matronly is the wearer. I would look matronly in it. I bet you wouldn't because you are young and have the vigor and spirit of youth. Just because you are young, doesn't mean you have to be bare and flashy (unless you want to.)

A bit more info: I needed a dress for my cruise in September. I don't have that much time to shop, so I am feeling a bit rushed with the timing.

As far as my body type - I am very well endowed on top, which makes it hard to find dresses that fit, as I am plus size on top and misses size on the bottom. So no matter the dress, I usually have to get it tailored. I do usually wear dresses that show more cleavage and I tend to wear black. I was trying to add some color this year. But it has been hard to find anything that is "bra friendly". Spaghetti straps and strapless just don't work for me.

Do you think it would be possible for a tailor to perhaps create a v-neck in the dress or something?

Why do you think it has to be a dress? Why not go for seperates?

I'm probably built the same as you, larger on top than on the bottom. I prefer a slinky skirt or evening pants, topped with a dressy blouse or jacket. You may look great in a slim skirt paired with a sexy top :) , much more appropriate for your age as well as being able to wear the pieces with other choices.

I have to add that my opinion of sexy or slinky does not have to mean revealing or provocative. Sexy (at least to me) is a suggestion, not blatant, in your face show it all off.

A bit of cleavage is far sexier to me than when you see someone you worry that her whole girl parts will fall out any second.

A slit up the side of a skirt, ending a few inches above the knee, is sexier than a slit all the way up the thigh.

Sexy, at least my opinion of it, is classy, not slutty.

Of course, there are times when dressing trashy is appropriate, just not on a cruise ship for formal night, that should be saved for the later night disco dancing, if you enjoy that.

I don't think changing the neckline would substantially change the youthfullness or maturity of the dress and jacket. The fabric is part of what may give this ensemble a more mature illusion.

To me part of what makes a dress look matronly is the wearer. I would look matronly in it. I bet you wouldn't because you are young and have the vigor and spirit of youth. Just because you are young, doesn't mean you have to be bare and flashy (unless you want to.)

Sorry, I respectfully disagree here.Some outfits are just wrong no matter what age you are. :)

I have seen 60 something year olds that have looked better than some 20 year olds. Same token... I have also seen 20 year olds wearing something that was matronly and dowdy.

You HAVE to wear what is right on your body, reflects your personality and such.

I intensley dislike to think that women believe that just because they hit a certain age, fashion sense and ,it seems, self esteem automatically takes a hit.

Hey, are as old as you feel and project!!

Now, that is NOT to say that a 75 year old should parade around in a micro mini and stilettos just becasue they can... but pull off the best you can & that is appropriate.... don't settle because of age!!;) Enhance and compliment..

I guess it makes me sad to think you automatically think you would look matronly in it because of age.... unless I totally misunderstood why you think you would look matronly?:confused:

Thanks for all your feedback guys. I think I will probably take the dress back and keep looking. I don't feel "wow" in the dress, so I guess I will have to find something better.

Separates - I have yet to see any separates that appeal to me. Most seem along the same line as the dress I pictured. Maybe something more like what my mom would wear.

I think the full jacket is what makes the set look very conservative- so it can conceal underarm wobble and wrinkly skin. Those bits that sag are all covered up. For you, I'd suggest a matching shrug or bolero number. Enough to cover up the top a bit but still show your figure.

David's Bridal might have some darker dresses that incorporate a nice little jacket.

reddress.jpg

well I find that a very sophisticated and not frumpy like the ususal mother of the bride gowns-I would love that for me-but I am 20 years older then you. I would say if you still have nice breasts, arms etc-you should show them off some. You can still pick a beautiful gown that is not too revealing. Us older gals like a gown like that, because it hides our wrinklly chests and not so firm arms. If you don't have those problems you don't need a gown like that.

I agree with everyone else. That dress is definitely too matronly. I'm very nearly 60 (just 2 weeks to go!) and I wouldn't dream of wearing something like that.

If you don't feel fabulous in it, then it's not right. The colour is lovely - maybe you can find something else in red but in a younger style.

Thanks for all your feedback guys. I think I will probably take the dress back and keep looking. I don't feel "wow" in the dress, so I guess I will have to find something better.

Now, that is what is important, the "wow" factor. If it not there, I would personally not wear wear it. Feeling great is a big part of enjoying what I am wearing.

Happy shopping!

This is so funny to read. I'm 33 and I love the dress. Have no idea what it would look like on me, but, if it looked good, I'd wear it....I'm also in academia/research and wear mostly casual stuff for work.

In general, I find that if people have to ask a LOT of other people whether or not the dress is "appropriate" or looks good--it means the person asking the question doesn't love the dress. In which case--re-sell it and find something you LOVE.

I also think that the way my mom and my sister reacted to the dress did color my perceptions. I had never intended to wear it with the jacket. I just wanted to wear the dress underneath, which looks pretty much like a bridesmaid dress to me.

I guess I need to start a thread to get suggestions on where to find a youthful bra-friendly dress.

I also think that the way my mom and my sister reacted to the dress did color my perceptions. I had never intended to wear it with the jacket. I just wanted to wear the dress underneath, which looks pretty much like a bridesmaid dress to me.

I guess I need to start a thread to get suggestions on where to find a youthful bra-friendly dress.

Well if you like the dress under it-possibly you could just find a dress shrug/bolero which has a more youthful look to put over it.

I know I had this beaded shrug I bought-but I did not like the way it looked on me-too young-so I gave it to my 28 year old friend who is about my size in the boobs, it would have swamped my daugther, she would have loved it though if it would have fit.

It was in this bronze netting with covered in beeds and sequiens in bronze, gold, champagne and silver. I have also seen those in like solid black and other solid colors. If your dress is spaghtetti strapped, one of those would look nice ove the dress and that would give it a more youthful look then the matching blazer-which is more "old lady" looking.

I think the full jacket is what makes the set look very conservative- so it can conceal underarm wobble and wrinkly skin. Those bits that sag are all covered up. For you, I'd suggest a matching shrug or bolero number. Enough to cover up the top a bit but still show your figure.

David's Bridal might have some darker dresses that incorporate a nice little jacket.

I should have read this whole thread before my last post-you and I think alike!!!

Archived