What cruise lines have had a major list?

Clutterlady

One last time, and I swear I won't say it again...;)

The problem is not the list. In fact, a list is a static or semi-static angle of the deck. What happened is, the ship turned very abruptly at a speed too high for such a sharp turn to be executed safely. The ship rolled as a result of the turn, then righted itself. Most of the ship's mass is located near the keel of the ship, which makes it inherently stable. That doesn't mean it won't roll, it means that it will come back to its proper upright position without intervention once the forces that caused the roll are removed.

There are probably hundreds of incidents of varying degrees of severity where people and loose objects have been tossed around because a ship has had to make a sudden course change. On our very first cruise, we were having dinner in the buffet area when the ship zigged (for want of a better term) to avoid an object in the ship's path, possibly a whale. The dinner roll on my plate suddenly became airborne, hovered for a second, then shot about 4 feet away. It was a bit comical. We could see the wake where someone had made a quick course change. We were in Alaskan waters and probably weren't moving more than about 10 kts.

You can be assured that there is no inherent mass or balance problem that will cause a ship to roll for no reason. Big things moving fast just don't like to change direction very easily. And as we've seen, the results when one forgets that fact can be frightening and potentially devastating.

In September of 2004 I was on the Nord Norge of the Hurtengruten Line off the coast of Norway. We we going through a narrow channel when a work boat got in our way and the captain of our ship had to make a sharp turn to avoid a collision. I was having breakfast in the dining room at the time, seated by a window. Suddenly I was looking at the ocean instead of the scenery.

As the previous poster stated, the ship righted itself. Noone was hurt, but a lot of dishes went flying and a few people had hot coffee spilled on them. According to the captain and a picture taken by a fellow passenger, we missed the other boat by a meter. This was my first cruise and I have since taken three others with two more planned, so you see this incident has not deterred me from cruising.

I'm not sure this link will work but it lists 7 cases of listing cruise ships in the last two years and says there have 11 or 12 cases in the last 5 years.

Try this link.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/orl-aseclisting21072106jul21,0,7158501.story

Have a great next NON-LISTING cruise.

Thanks for the link. Seems it happens more often then we realize!:eek:

Archived