AmericanAirlines Advanced Bag Check-in

Yes it is avail at the Port of Miami. However, AA now charges 5.00 a person and you can only check in there IF your flight is later in the day...I think after 1:30pm or so. We are family of 5 and opted not to pay the extra money...this service use to be FREE.

We have 25 people and all of us have decided that the AA service is the way to go. I hope that they have it available right on the ship (Take your bags from the ship the night prior) instead of the dropping off after you already claimed them at the port (Bag Drop Off).

Hi, not sure what this is?? We (group of 17) have an American flight that doesn't leave FLL until 5:30pm. Does this mean for a fee, we can drop our luggage at the airport after we get off the ship, and tour around till time to check in? Thanks

Hi, not sure what this is?? We (group of 17) have an American flight that doesn't leave FLL until 5:30pm. Does this mean for a fee, we can drop our luggage at the airport after we get off the ship, and tour around till time to check in? Thanks

MOLUVSCO .......

I have not used this service but I believe American Airlines has a check-in counter right at the Port of Miami as you disembark from the ship and claim your luggage if you checked it off the ship.

Again, I believe you can check your luggage for your American Airlines flight right there and American will transport the luggage directly from the port to your aircraft. You may also be able to get seat assignments there.

Someone please correct me if I am giving out bad info.

For those who are unhappy with American Airlines for charging a fee for this once free service, I apologize.

In the interest of full disclosure ..... I am an American Airlines employee. American has lost billions of dollars in the last five years. American Airlines employees have taken massive paycuts. Fuel prices are three times what they were six years ago.

The cruise lines have all raised their prices to cover increased costs. The airlines are no different. I don't like paying more for gas, cruise fares or groceries any more than the next person.

I hope the price increases do not ruin anyone's vacation and we all be able to afford many cruises to come in the future.

Thank you to all those who fly American Airlines. If I am your captain on your flight to and from your cruise, please stop by the cockpit and say hi. I'd be glad to hear all about your great cruise.

Dr. Evil :)

do any other airlines offer this service? even if it is for a fee, it sounds like a great thing to do. the 5 bucks per person isnt bad at all, when you look at all the other factors like lugging your bags around, and possibly having stuff melt lf left in the car while site seeing!

on another note, anyone ever lose there bags while doing this?

MOLUVSCO .......

I have not used this service but I believe American Airlines has a check-in counter right at the Port of Miami as you disembark from the ship and claim your luggage if you checked it off the ship.

Again, I believe you can check your luggage for your American Airlines flight right there and American will transport the luggage directly from the port to your aircraft. You may also be able to get seat assignments there.

For those who are unhappy with American Airlines for charging a fee for this once free service, I apologize.

In the interest of full disclosure ..... I am an American Airlines employee. American has lost billions of dollars in the last five years. American Airlines employees have taken massive paycuts. Fuel prices are three times what they were six years ago.

The cruise lines have all raised their prices to cover increased costs. The airlines are no different. I don't like paying more for gas, cruise fares or groceries any more than the next person.

I hope the price increases do not ruin anyone's vacation and we all be able to afford many cruises to come in the future.

Thank you to all those who fly American Airlines. If I am your captain on your flight to and from your cruise, please stop by the cockpit and say hi. I'd be glad to hear all about your great cruise.

Yes, This is all correct. We checked our bags right at the port of Miami and recv'd our boarding tickets also. You stay with your luggage just long enough to make sure all your bags get taged and then your freeeeeeee. It's worth the $5.00 IMO.

When waiting in line I remembered seeing that this service was offered by AA, Delta, United.

Heck for the price of one foo foo drink I can be rid of my luggage at the pier? SOLD!!!!!!! And I think $5 is fine, most taxis charge a few bucks per bag and you STILL have to lug it... three cheers to AA, RCL, and anyone else doing this, you are my heroes.

Happy cruising to all, I will board in 15 days and am one happy camper.

Dr Evil :D

I have wee question..not sure if you will know or not...but hey I gotta ask...we are flying back to UK after our Freedom cruise.....and I am guessing that this Bag Check-In wont be available to International Flights......but as we have a domestic flight first to Raleigh...will we therefore be able to do this Bag check-in at Miami Port ?

Thanks

Liz

WYWH Cruiser

MOLUVSCO .......

In the interest of full disclosure ..... I am an American Airlines employee. American has lost billions of dollars in the last five years. American Airlines employees have taken massive pay cuts. Fuel prices are three times what they were six years ago.

I too remember when the service was free. I understand the need for the fee, operation costs, and the AA employee pay cut situation. The only problem I have with paying the $5 fee per person for baggage check-in, paying extra for aisle seats, paying for in-flight food service, paying to talk to customer service to make a reservation, paying for curbside check-in, paying a fee for AA award travel via phone reservation,etc...is that while most AA employees got pay cuts, all executives got pay raises. So when I pay these little extras, It irritates me knowing that I'm paying for the executives pay raise. I know, I know, it's happening everwhere....but only because we allow it.

By the way, when we stop by the cockpit do we just ask for "Dr. Evil"?:D

Rowtyd .....

You hit the nail on the head. Employees take huge paycuts and management get pay raises.

Evidently you can get a pay raise if you are management even when your company is losing billions.

Yes, ask for Dr. Evil if it is a St. Louis flight crew. It may not be me but there is a good chance someone in the cockpit may know me.

There is a new service for AA and maybe some others. You can check your bags right on the the ship. You do not see it again until you reach your final destination. Not all of the ports have this service yet.

Carrie:D

We used this service in January from San Juan and it was worth every cent of the $10.00 per person we paid for each of the three of us. The rules were you had to be flying American on every leg of your flight, so if you were flying AA into Miami (or whereever) and anything else onward, you didn't qualify. We got our boarding passes and luggage tags the last night of the cruise, and put the luggage tags on our bags along with our colored tags, and put the bags in the hallway, as usual. When we debarked in the morning, we claimed our luggage from the departure hall, went through immigrations and customs, and dropped them off with the AA rep on the pier. They were transported to the airport for us, and we didn't see them again until we got home. We're hoping USAirways is now offering the same service, as that's what we're flying in January.

We remember when it was free, and when it wasn't offered at all. I'd rather have it offered in some manner than not be there at all!

Jodi

We used the AA ship check-in service in March and it was free then, so the surcharge must have come about recently. There were 30 of us. One couple was pulled aside bu the customs people and interrogated because they claimed only $60 in purchases on the cruise. I guess the customs people were very nasty and rude, even though the couple had receipts for everything.

Next cruise we fly into San Juan...not sure which airline we will use at that time and we have a while to go, since the cruise is next June.

Thanks for the info about check in! And I can sympathize with how difficult it can be employed by the airlines. My BIL is a pilot with Continental, my sister a furloughed AA pilot since shortly after 9/11. She's longing for the day when she can fly again and she hopes like heck that will be soon!!! (In the meantime she's had 2 beautiful girls so she's keeping herself busy!)

We're flying AA from LGA to MIA in November for our cruise. I'll be sure to stop and see if it's you...although my husband will think I've gone nuts for stopping at the cockpit and asking for Dr. Evil!! LOL

We used the service in July from the Port of Miami. The cost is indeed $10.00 per person. You set your luggage out the night before, claim it upon arrival, and then drop it off with the AA representative at the pier. The ship even issues you your boarding passes, so you are "good to go," so to speak.

Our luggage did not make it home when we did, but it was at our door about 24 hours later. I suppose that could have happened had we taken our luggage to the airport ourselves, though. Given the chance, I would definitely use the service again. Well worth it, in my opinion.

MOLUVSCO .......

According to AA website it states $10, and I had no problem paying that since I will not have to carry my luggage around all day. I never even knew it was free:eek: . I think they should charge a fee especially since they are checking you in at a remote location and providing this service to you. My flight leaves at 8:25 PM on the day of disembarkment, so $5 or $10 we're buying it. Not sure why people expect to get something for nothing especially with all the airlines going broke and gas prices being the way they are. We should just be glad they aren't flying flights with just the "auto-pilot" switch on with no pilot or "self-service" cabin service to save some money. I figure if you feel paying $5 is too much, no problem . . keep your $5 and YOUR luggage and wait at the airport all day until the appropriate check-in time.

I also used the AA service in Miami...worked great. I only saw AA doing it. What other airlines offer this in Miami??

Can anyone tell me if they provide this in Fort Lauderdale?

I too remember when the service was free. I understand the need for the fee, operation costs, and the AA employee pay cut situation. The only problem I have with paying the $5 fee per person for baggage check-in, paying extra for aisle seats, paying for in-flight food service, paying to talk to customer service to make a reservation, paying for curbside check-in, paying a fee for AA award travel via phone reservation,etc...is that while most AA employees got pay cuts, all executives got pay raises. So when I pay these little extras, It irritates me knowing that I'm paying for the executives pay raise. I know, I know, it's happening everwhere....but only because we allow it.

By the way, when we stop by the cockpit do we just ask for "Dr. Evil"?:D

If you have a problem paying for the service - DON"T DO IT. I don't understand why people have to complain about the "Price" of something. This is a free country and nobody is twisting your arm in any way to buy what you don't want to. If you don't like the service just say "No Thank You". It works so wonderfully.

By the way - It is up to the executives to make the decisions on how to pay the employees and how to pay themselves. You have no control over that nor should you. I bet you wish you were able to build a company like that so you too could make those decisions. It sounds like jealousy to me.

"If everything was free - life would be out of control."

Just did the AA check-in thing for $10 at Port of Miami.

Paid the $10 via Seapass card (automatic) -- had filled out a form and dropped it off at Guest Relations.

Last day of cruise, envelope showed up with boarding passes. That was great, but we also got someone else's boarding pass and found out many others had problems like this as well. Took the wrong ones back to Guest Relations.

Final day, put the tags on luggage and went to claim bags, same as everyone else, a royal pain.

Walked bags outside ourselves and finally, after talking to four officials, found out where AA reps were hiding. Got the bags to them and we could leave.

Wondered if bags would indeed show up at our home airport but they did, mercifully. Would I bother with this again? Probably not. All we did was waste time at a nearby hotel before venturing to the airport with all the hand luggage anyway.

Archived