Need some Information for a friend

KLLund

Hi all

I have only sailed once on NCL but I seem to recall that they have no traditional dining at all. Is that true ?

My friends are going with a family group and I just don't have enough NCL experience to advise them on this .. Help will be appreciated

KLLund ~ no NCL does not have traditional dining. It's called Freestyle. Which basically means you can eat when and wherever you want to. There are the main dining rooms which will seat passengers just like a regular restaurant. And, then there are specialty restaurants where you have to make a reservation (some have a cover charge as well). Freestyle also means that no one is forced to be dressed up. All ships are "Resort Casual" with optional formal nights. Tell your friends they'll have a great time!

KLLund-

You will occassionally get responses like the one from Steamboatin but don't let it deter you from asking your questions. Many people don't understand that they way they phrase their response can sound very rude or snappish even if they don't mean it. And for those that do mean it, don't worry about them, they're not worth getting upset over.

Kllund: Most of us do not have a problem answering your questions because that is one of the main purposes of this website.

Let me try and explain Freestyle Dining since it is possibly the biggest difference between NCL and the other lines.

I love Freestyle and that is why I only cruise on NCL.

Freestyle is all about your choice. Freestyle gives you the choice to eat WHEN you want, with WHO you want, WHERE you want, and HOW you want.

1.) You do not have assigned dining times. You can go the main restaurants anytime that they are open (5:30-9:30) and simply tell them how many of you there are and they will seat you, just like a shoreside restaurant. Unless you are a large group, you cannot make reservations in the main dining rooms. Sometimes this can cause you to wait a few minutes (usually less than 20) for a table if you dine during the peak hours of 6:30-8:00.

2.) You do have to make reservations for the Specialty Restaurants and most of them have a cover charge of $10-20 per person. (but that is only for the entree, you can have as many apetizers, salads, sides and desserts that you want.). You can make these for the entire week when you board. Not all specialty restaurants have a cover charge (LaTrattatoria for example) but all require reservations. There is an Italian one, a steakhouse, a tex-mex, and an asian one, just to name a few.

3.) You do not have assigned tablemates. You can dine with just your family or perhaps the friends you met that day. They have tables from 2 people to 10 people. You can also request to be seated with new people if you like. You usually do not have the same waiters each night, but you can request them!

4.) You can dress as you like. (within limits) All formal nights on all NCL ships are OPTIONAL in all dining venues. You do not have to dress up and can still eat anywhere. On formal night, only about 40% of the passengers will dress up and that will range from tuxes to shirt/tie. The other 60% will be in resort casual.

With that said, you do have to dress in at least Resort Casual every night to dine in the restaurants. Resort casual simply means no shorts, jeans or t-shirts. Polo shirts, sun dresses, kahkis, and sneakers are all perfectly acceptable! I have never worn any more than a polo shirt, kahkis and sneakers to any meal on five NCL cruises! You will not feel out of place! The best part...the chance to dress as you feel comfortable.

(btw: if you have to wear jeans or shorts, you can then choose to dine in the Blue Lagoon (diner) or the buffet for dinner!)

5.) Finally, disembarkation. You can remain in your cabin until you are called to disembark. No more being herded like cattle into public rooms waiting to be called. Enjoy the last morning in your cabin!

Hope this helps. Please fire away with any questions regarding Freestyle!

KeystoneCruiser,

Thank you for the wealth of information you have provided. I find first-hand experience so much better than reading a cruise line's Web site or talking to a staff member on the phone.

My daughter and her fiance have booked an NCL cruise for their honeymoon, and neither they [nor I] have cruised this line. They only booked yesterday, so the information-gathering process is just beginning!

They're pretty busy with jobs and planning a wedding, so I decided to come to this board [i usually post on the HAL boards] and see what tidbits I could pick up.

"Attitude" toward newbies seems to be everywhere! [it's often the same on HAL.] Some forget we were all newbies at one time.

There is nothing like getting information from experienced cruisers -- sure beats corporate Web sites!

Thanks to you and others who are so generous with your time and experience.

Thank you Keystone. We have cruised on NCL before and since there were just two of us .. and the people that we saw the most during the day were all part of larger groups.. we looked forward to dining with interesting new people. However, each night that we requested a shared larger table they said oh fine .. and proceeded to seat us at a table of 6 or 8 and never seat anyone else there. We felt conspicuous to say the least. It was the only part of NCL that I did NOT enjoy.

I guess a part of me was hoping they had changed it..

I am sure I will cruise with NCL again, but probably only if I am going as a part of a group.

Again thank you for all the information.

Archived