Alaska Cruise Question

Criscomia

Can anyone tell me what time of year is the best time to go on an Alaskan cruise with Holland? I heard they run from May to September, but would like to know which month has the best weather, seas, etc......also, which ship is best. My husband and I are looking to do this either next year or the year after.

Would love to hear all of your opinions. Thank you.

No two of us would agree on which is the best ship, or the best itinerary - or the "best" weather, come to that. I thoroughly enjoyed getting caught in a mini-blizzard above Skagway on an April cruise but also loved watching the sun set behind Denali in July. You'll find opinions even differ on what consitutes "good" seas. Some like to feel the 'motion of the ocean' while others prefer no more movement than in the Hilton on shore.

So tell us what would be your ideal trip and we'll try our best to match it up with our experience...

Just got home from Alaska 2 weeks ago on the Zuiderdam. Very nice. We lucked out and had great weather in Juneau (sunny 18 C), Skagway (sunny 16 C), Glacier Bay (overcast 16 C) and Ketchikan (rainy and miserable 13 C). We didn't need our heavy coats, mittens or scarf on this trip. Every year changes with the weather. Next year you could go at the same time we went this year and the weather could be horrible. You are just going to love the Zuiderdam. I know it is a big ship, but we didn't feel crowded.

ok, where to start dakrewser.........

I would love for it to be really cool nights and sunny days......Ok, I hear you laughing.......but you asked what I wanted.

Someone said the inside passage is the smoothest. Is this correct?

I would love to see the whales while cruising. Is there a certain passage or cruise ship that you can see this on?

I'm really not sure what to ask, but just want to hear what everyone thinks and has experienced on their Alaska cruise. Maybe I will be able to pick a date from that.

Thanks to all who are answering my stupid questions.

The questions aren't stupid at all, I merely want to give you the most relevant information. For weather, it's always "cool" nights (from an avg low of 20 in January to 50 in July) in SE Alaska. Sunny is more problematic as the area gets more rain than Washington & Oregon - but that's what makes it so green and lush. See this climate guide for more info.

The inside passage is a lot more like a lake than ocean. It's very smooth with land that appears to be within 'touching reach' on either side. But you won't see as much sea life there as you would on the 'outer passage'.

Truth be told, there is no 'bad' experience in Alaska. Still, if I had to choose only one cruise as the best introduction, I'd cruise from Vancouver or Seattle northbound to Seward/Anchorage then add-on a land portion trip to Denali and possibly Fairbanks. And I'd do it the end of June, beginning of July to get the most daylight (20+ hours of it in Fairbanks, close to 18 in Seward).

Just got back from trip on oosterdam. Weather was fantastic. Had rain in Ketchikan but other than that great. Only needed a light weight rain jacket, but crew said the weather was unusually perfect.:)

Thank you all for such great information. I am getting more and more excited, even though it will be a long way off........at least I'll have fun planning this trip and the excursions...speaking of which......any ideas on that subject?

Archived