Nearly 2 days in LA

Jarronwood

Hi Curt

Hey Jarronwood! I'm here for you, just bear in mind I just got a new job/project, so I'm going to be in and out. Also, in general, I'm usually out of town (and not on the computer) from about Friday (LA time) noon, until late Sunday evening, or Monday morning.

Just digesting your advice.

Yes, no problem. I have and know so many specifics, that it can be a lot. Just keep on this back and forth with me, and we'll have a great trip planned out for you!:D

Sportsman Lodge seems very expensive as against other hotels. Cheapest quote I have got is £86 english pounds others in the area about £50. Still looking at others sites though.

Just let me know (if you can please) in American dollars what your budget is...

Then I can make or break, and better help you with decisions...;)

How long would it take then to get to the airport from Sportsman Lodge on Sunday.? Our flight is at 8.30.

See, here's the whole thing. You're flight is not until 8:30 PM, so you need to be at LAX by 6:30 PMish (but you should call your airline, and see what they are saying and recommending).

You have TONS of time to see things and sight see on that Sunday.

If you were to drive on Sunday to the airport from Sportsman's Lodge/Universal (just saying like you are driving directly from there to the airport) 1 hour at the most, most likely 45 minutes.

In the plan that I am telling you above, you will be sight seeing, and making your way to the airport, while you are sightseeing. So you are making your way down, and getting closer and closer to LAX during the day, while you are also seeing Hollywood, or Venice Beach.;)

Also how long to get to Universal Studios?. I have a feeling we might not get there until mid day and am minded to purchase VIP tickets which get you first in the queue and the rides.

Okay, still not sure...

Are you cruising out of Long Beach or San Pedro?

Long Beach should be approximately an hour, and San Pedro maybe 45 minutes.

That being said...

VIP front of the line tickets, are probably a good idea (don't buy and decide until right before your cruise/trip though).

The thing is you are talking about a Saturday, so there will be a lot of local Los Angelinos there, so it will be more crowded than if you were there during the week. Just also be aware, you want to get your "time passes" for the studio tour tram ASAP when you get there. The rest of the park, and shows, and restaurants are open late. But, the studio tram tour will close when it gets too late and it's dusk. (Because then you can't actually see all of the sets and things). So, just make sure that you get your time tickets and do that first. Everything else will be open later, when you're done with the tour.

Is Sportsman Lodge near the beach? Can we walk there. It is just that I know we will be probably exhausted after the day at Universal and a short stroll from the hotel either along the beach or along some street for something to eat would be ideal.

No, Sportsman's Lodge, Universal, Hollywood, are not near the beach. I'll keep helping you figure things out, if that is vitally important for that Saturday evening. But, in my plan, you'll get the beach on Sunday during the day in plenty of time to stroll and get to the airport.

I also know (and think) that you will be probably exhausted at the end of your cruise, and going at the end of that Saturday.

Short stroll and walking info:

#1 If you want, at the end of your Universal day, there is the Universal City Walk on your way out. I'll give you a link to the website in a seperate post, but it's got lot's of restaurants and places to eat there.

#2 If you want to go back to your hotel (if we're talking Sportsman's Lodge, then you have a beautiful relaxing pool - and again if you end up staying here, ask for a patio room by the pool - and you are in walking strolling distance from a lot of good restaurants). This is Ventura Blvd. which is essentially a part of Hollywood. Like I said before, there is not only Universal, but there are a lot of other studios around here. So there are a lot of restaurants and things that cater to the television and movie community.

#3 If you end up staying in Hollywood somewhere, then depending on where we're talking about (check my previous posts), there will be lots of great strolling walking streets and restaurants.

And that's my big thing here, on what I need to know from you...

What do you think you are doing or want to do (especially on that Saturday night after Universal)?

Because I will recommend different things/hotels/areas based on that.

Do you want to relax, stroll, hit the pool, go to some Hollywood nightclubs (dance, rock and roll, blues, hoity toity Hollywood nightclub, comedy show?).

What do you think you want and are interested in doing?

Whatever you are thinking about, or even "we want to have the option to do "this this and this", I can figure it out, and give you my best advice.

Thanks for all your advice so far, without your suggestions i dont know what we would have done.

No problemo!:D I'm here for you (this is actually getting really fun for me). Without my suggestions, you probably would have been stuck in Long Beach or whatever, or taken some lame tour.;)

Keep giving me info, details, and your thoughts on what you want to do, and I'll keep finesse-ing your possibilities.

CJW

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Curt

Me again. I am in the middle of studying very hard at the moment and try and restrict myself to the forums. But I am back on track for a little while with the planning aspects of our holiday.

I think I will look at the Sportsmans Lodge as you suggested. My qustion is this though.

We need to get a taxi from the pier where the ship disembarks. Do you know whether there are a few for hire? ALso, what sort of price are we talking here? Is there any specific sort of taxi we should look out for. Or not ride in?

So, I am going to now concentrate on the Sportsmans Lodge and try and book a room on the patio.

What will the weather be like beginning of March in LA.

Hi Curt,Me again. I am in the middle of studying very hard at the moment and try and restrict myself to the forums. But I am back on track for a little while with the planning aspects of our holiday.

No problem, I'm working/busy as well, and there is time, so we'll just keep checking back and forth. You have time...

I think I will look at the Sportsmans Lodge as you suggested. My qustion is this though. We need to get a taxi from the pier where the ship disembarks. Do you know whether there are a few for hire? ALso, what sort of price are we talking here? Is there any specific sort of taxi we should look out for. Or not ride in?

I don't think that a taxi is your best money value bet, I've checked (and you can as well) on shuttles to the various hotels...

I think that you'd be better off making an arrangement with either PrimeTime shuttle, Super Shuttle, Karmel (a little more expensive, but a personal private car), or RoadRunner. Look them all up on the Internet, and find what is the best deal for you (and this will all depend on what hotel you end up at...).

So, I am going to now concentrate on the Sportsmans Lodge and try and book a room on the patio.

Okay, still looking into things, but that would be a good option...

The trick that I know from them, is that they have free shuttle drop off to Universal, and will pick you up whenever you want, (and for anybody reading this, they offer free shuttle to and from Burbank airport)...

It is literally 4 driveways away from the famous 24 hour Jerri's Deli, and you can get the Red Line from Ventura and Lankershim (Universal up the street, and they'll shuttle you there) for $3 to Hollywood and Highland, which is where you can start your Hollywood tour/visit for Sunday.

There are still some really good options as well, for Grafton on Sunset (they won't drive you to Universal - "technically" - but if there is a restaurant within 3 miles from the hotel (Universal Studios is 3.1 miles) then they'll drop you off there (I have to figure this one out, but the concierge laughed that I was able to figure this loophole out), and it would be a short walk to Universal.

In addition, they will drive you to any of the great Hollywood restaurants or nightclubs (which you could actually walk to from this hotel) in the area.

Also, still Farmer's Daughter could be good, as it is close to 24 famous Canter's Deli and the next door Kibbitz Lounge, and right near The Grove, CBS, and only (approximating) probably $10 to $20 (at the most) cab fare (depending on traffic) to and from Universal, then at either of these you are near places to start your Hollywood sightseeing for Sunday.

Still thinking, and working things out...

What will the weather be like beginning of March in LA.

Aha!

Million dollar question!

Unfortunately there is no way to predict...

It could be clear, sunny and anywhere from 70 to 90 degrees.

Or it could be overcast, 50 to 60 degrees, maybe rainy...

At that time of year, there is no way to tell. Literally, each day and each hour, and each year it changes. (So if packing, for LA, always pack layers that you can add or remove according to that day's weather).

If it does happen to rain, then those are actually the best days and times to visit Disneyland, Universal, etc. As very few people are there.

On some rain days, if I have time, I get a friend, we put on rain ponchos, and run over to Disney or Universal, because ther are no lines, and we get on everything we want to see.

Just saying.;)

I'll get back to you later.

That's it for now.

CJW

:D

Hi Curt

I have now booked the Sportsman Lodge via some web site and only had to pay 10% deposit. They will deduct the balance in January sometime. It cost £62.50 (english pounds) for the night. If I had gone direct with the Hotel they were charging double that. So I am well pleased.

SO I need now to sort out how to get there from the boat - problem is that we don't know what time we will be getting off since everyone is allocated a time slot and whether they have a flight to catch. Although we have booked CC class which is supposed to give us priority boarding and getting off I am not sure how that will work since its the night before you have to leave your luggage outside your cabin with a coloured tag on. Each coloured tag denotes the time slot.

Having said all that I could speak to Guest Relations once we are on the boat and explain that we have a taxi picking us up at a certain time and hopefully we should be off in time. I will have a look at the suggestions regarding transport to the hotel. I suppose I could contact the Lodge and see if they will pick us up for a few of course.

Thanks for your advice.

Spk soon

btw if youre at universal, you might want to check out a reallly amazing resteraunt about 5 mins away called daichan. its on ventura blvd (across the street kinda from office depot). it looks like japan exploded on its walls. place is amazing.

the sushi **** is next door. famous for having the best sushi ever, he takes sushi seriously. the actual name of the place is sushi nozawa. its pretty expensive though- daichan isnt.

iroha sushi is really good too - ventura blvd/coldwater canyon

i live/work around here and those are places id take people visiting :)

As said before book a shuttle - Primetime or Super Shuttle from the pier to the hotel. It will be much cheaper. I think they do enough business with cruise passengers that they will help you with the timing issue. A taxi will be very expensive. You may also want to ask about a shuttle back to LAX.

I wonder if I could pick your brains a little as well. We come from England too. We have four days in LA before our NCL Star cruise in October. We are staying at the Rennaissance Hollywood because we like the idea of being able to walk around the Mall/ theatre area at night after sightseeing all day. We would like one day at Universal, sorted. We would like a beach culture day... have heard about hiring bicycle from Santa Monica???? to "muscle beach" alongside marinas etc. Can you put me right here? The other thing I really want to do is drive the Mulholland Scenic Parkway. How are we doing so far? Really appreciate your feedback.

I know I am late in helping you with you night in LA. I am a tour director. Work for a UK tour operator. The tour I do stays in LA for 3 nights. The hotel I would recommend(hope I am not too late)is the Hollywood Roosevelt. Right across the street from Kodak Theatre and Grauman's Chinese. Recently remodeled, beautiful pool, restaurants, even a really neat restaurant/bar for hamburger's etc. MIght be more expensive, but you would save money in transport etc. Just a block from the metro stop. You can take the train right to Universal, very easy and inexpensive!! I would recommend the behind the scenes walking tour. It is wonderful!! They give you the history of Hollywood, take you inside some of the old theatres. It is through Red Line Tours. There location is right on Hollywood Blvd at the Stella adler Theater, 6773 Hollywood Blvd. Phone # 323-402-1074 Tell them Jeanine Bishop recommended them. Of all the excursions I sell, it is a favorite. One note: check out the date for the Academy Awards probably first Sunday in March. You can take Super Shuttle to the airport. Or of course a taxi. You will need to be at the airport two hours before your flight. I know they say 3 , unless something has gone on like the recent upheaval, 2 hours is fine. I really discourage you from staying at the Sportsman's Lodge!! I am sorry I know you have booked but it is simple to cancel!! It is out in the valley, further from the airport, and truthfully not very exciting location.

Hi Jeanine,

Sorry to keep butting in on this thread. My plans are coming on well for October. We're staying at Hollywood Renaissance. There's one thing that my daughter would love to see.. and that's real cheerleaders in action. Do cheerleaders only come at sports events or do you know of any schools/practice venues?? Sounds silly, but you know the English!! Thanks, Sue

I know I am late in helping you with you night in LA. I am a tour director. Work for a UK tour operator. The tour I do stays in LA for 3 nights. The hotel I would recommend(hope I am not too late)is the Hollywood Roosevelt. Right across the street from Kodak Theatre and Grauman's Chinese. Recently remodeled, beautiful pool, restaurants, even a really neat restaurant/bar for hamburger's etc. MIght be more expensive, but you would save money in transport etc. Just a block from the metro stop. You can take the train right to Universal, very easy and inexpensive!! I would recommend the behind the scenes walking tour. It is wonderful!! They give you the history of Hollywood, take you inside some of the old theatres. It is through Red Line Tours. There location is right on Hollywood Blvd at the Stella adler Theater, 6773 Hollywood Blvd. Phone # 323-402-1074 Tell them Jeanine Bishop recommended them. Of all the excursions I sell, it is a favorite. One note: check out the date for the Academy Awards probably first Sunday in March. You can take Super Shuttle to the airport. Or of course a taxi. You will need to be at the airport two hours before your flight. I know they say 3 , unless something has gone on like the recent upheaval, 2 hours is fine. I really discourage you from staying at the Sportsman's Lodge!! I am sorry I know you have booked but it is simple to cancel!! It is out in the valley, further from the airport, and truthfully not very exciting location.

Alright...

Sorry, I'm slightly (but really) offended by this...

Do you LIVE in Los Angeles?

Are you saying this from the UK or somewhere else?

I am born and raised in Los Angeles/Hollywood/Malibu...

I currently work from West LA (LAX area), and drive on a daily basis to and from all various parts of Hollywood, Universal (the Valley), North Hollywood, Venice, Santa Monica, Burbank, etc., etc.

A big part of my job is also, booking hotels in the various areas that are good for my clients and what they need to do when they are here in LA.

First of all, if you have read the "history" here on what they are trying to plan, then you would know that Sportsman's Lodge has free transport to and from Universal (which is their main priority).

Secondly, apparently you've never been or stayed there...

In general Sportsman's Lodge is a MAJOR historical Hollywood location.

I'm sorry that you apparently don't know the location and history of this hotel... (Original Rat Pack, and the Brat Pack all have history here)

Hollywood Roosevelt is TOO expensive and not worth it for them...

If they want something else that is Hollywood and cool, then I have already recommended Grafton on Sunset, or Farmer's Daughter...

Have you been there or seen that lately?

In the meantime, I am an EXPERT in this area...

If you want some current help or information on any hotels/restaurants/etc. in the Los Angeles/Hollywood/Valley area, feel free to answer me back.

I'm here to help you, if you want, but honestly, you don't know what you are talking about at this point...

:o

Again, if you want any pictures, reviews, info of any hotels, restaurants, etc. here, and you let me know...

I'm more than happy to check them out and report in, as I drive all over LA and Hollywood, and the Valley on a daily/weekly basis, and can check anything out "for real" for anyne who "wants to know"...

CJW

I wonder if I could pick your brains a little as well. We come from England too. We have four days in LA before our NCL Star cruise in October. We are staying at the Rennaissance Hollywood because we like the idea of being able to walk around the Mall/ theatre area at night after sightseeing all day. We would like one day at Universal, sorted. We would like a beach culture day... have heard about hiring bicycle from Santa Monica???? to "muscle beach" alongside marinas etc. Can you put me right here? The other thing I really want to do is drive the Mulholland Scenic Parkway. How are we doing so far? Really appreciate your feedback.

Tourer (Sue;) )

Please start a new/seperate thread on this...

Make your own with all of the new ideas and thought that you have.

Better able for me (CJW) and somebody like BruinSteve to help you out with your specifics...

CJW

PS Try to check any other threads that I've answered...

Hi Curt

Just want to thank you for your help with us on our overnight in LA.

We have booked the Sportsmans Lodge (got a good bargain) and once we have checked in we will go to Universal Studios (probably purchase front of line tickets maybe in view of time).

In the evening I guess we shall just have a walk around outside the Sportsmans Lodge and a few beers and generally just chill.

The next day Sunday, we shall probably visit the Getty Museum or if the weather is nice just stay by the pool since once we fly back to the UK it will be middle of winter still. Dark nights and cold frosty mornings (which will depend on whether Spring wants to poke its nose up).

Thanks for your help.

Oh one question I have is that will the Sportsman Lodge keep our luggage safe until we need to go to the airport in the evening? I believe check out is mid day?

Actually, I was raised in Long Beach, worked on Wilshire Blvd, spent alot of time in Hollywood etc. Dancing at the Whiskey, drinking at Sneaky Petes. (long gone) My father stayed at the Sportsman's Lodge years ago!! Actually lived there for a while!! Sorry I offended you!! I live in the U.S.(left So.Cal for northern Cal,(San Francisco) a long time ago!!) Actually, the tour I have been doing recently, stays at the Radisson, Wilshire Plaza. It is across the street from the metro station(Normandie)so convenienient for my group's' also the bus stop is right in front. I suggested the Roosevelt because it is right in heart of Hollywood. And with so much history. I go in there whenever I take groups to Hollywood. Use the ladies room, have a drink or lunch at the restaurant 25 Degrees. Excellent hamburgers and cool decor! I guess it is very expensive!!. If I could afford it, would love to stay there!!

• 1 month later...

Hi Curt

I am bumping this thread up - I haven't seen you around for a while. Hope all is well.

Its certainy getting closer to our stay. As you know we have booked the Sportsmens Lodge and I have today e mailed them asking about transport ffrom the port (I have had a quote from Karmel shuttle for $101, which seems excessive doesn't it, although write ups for this company see to be very good).

I have also requested a patio quiet room at the hotel as recommended by you.

;)

So all I need do now is arrange transport to the Lodge from the port and confirm transport to Universal and Airport. I am hoping they can look after our luggage on the Sunday before we depart from the hotel.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Curt

I just need to ask you a question. We have now changed our plans a little and are staying 2 nights in LA. We have booked the Sportsmens Lodge - only put a very small deposit down but in view of spending 2 nights instead of 1 would you still recommend the same hotel?

You will recall that we def want to spend some time at Universal but apart from that just generally walking about and chilling. Maybe seeing the Getty Museum. Decided that shopping is no longer high on our agenda.

Many thanks

Archived