Nearly 2 days in LA

Jarronwood

Hello

We are hoping to depart the ship at the end of our cruise reasonably early and we are thinking of staying 2 nights in LA. I am not sure what we can see in 2 days - our flight back to UK is about 8.30 so we would have to be at the airport I guess about 6.30 pm.

What can we do in those 2 days - I would like to visit Universal Studios and Rodeo Drive.

Being British I dont really know about the distances to go to these 2 places and whether it is feasible. If any one has any suggestions and or advice I would be very grateful.

I think the TA has in mind us staying at the Wison Long Beach but Icannot find any reference on the net.

Jarrenwood,

There is a Westin Hotel in Long Beach; perhaps that is what your travel agent booked. If you want to maximize your two days in Los Angeles, you would be better off staying in LA. Long Beach is a good 35-45 minutes away by car from LA on a good traffic day and Universal Studios is closer to an hour away. If you are going to be in LA post cruise, then you could stay somewhere in LA. If you want to be near Long Beach, then the Westin or Hyatt Regency in Long Beach are both nice hotels. I am sure you could find a sightseeing tour from Long Beach to attractions in LA. The hotels would have that info. Long Beach is closer to Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm amusement parks. However in LA, you could see Hollywood, Universal Studios, etc.

Barbara from Long Beach

We are hoping to depart the ship at the end of our cruise reasonably early and we are thinking of staying 2 nights in LA. I am not sure what we can see in 2 days - our flight back to UK is about 8.30 so we would have to be at the airport I guess about 6.30 pm.

When you say that you're staying 2 nights - does that mean 2 nights sleeping in a hotel, so then 3 days?:confused:

What can we do in those 2 days - I would like to visit Universal Studios and Rodeo Drive.

You have time to do a lot of different things. Universal is really one full day though. Then you could do Rodeo if you want, along with several other things on another day.

Being British I dont really know about the distances to go to these 2 places and whether it is feasible. If any one has any suggestions and or advice I would be very grateful.

It's very feasible. And Hollywood/Rodeo Drive is just about a fifteen minute to half hour drive over the "hill" from Universal. You could even do Rodeo Drive/Beverly Hills, and then get to Venice Beach/Santa Monica Boardwalk in about a thirty minute to forty five minute drive (all of this based on not going during morning or evening rush hour).

I think the TA has in mind us staying at the Wison Long Beach but Icannot find any reference on the net.

Once you are done with the cruise I wouldn't stay in Long Beach if you want to see LA or Hollywood. Sure Long Beach is close to the ships, but it's not close to LAX or any of the sights that you are interested.:(

You are better off staying in West LA (if you want to be close to Hollywood, Beverly Hills, the beaches and LAX) or Hollywood (if you want to be close to Hollywood and Universal).

It's all very feasible, but I would really research what you want to do.

Hope this helps, I'll keep checking back to see if you have any more questions.

CJW:D

I'm also realizing that some of this info/advice may make a difference depending on which airport you are flying in and out of...

Also, as far as research here's some info from a previous post, I'd look into trying to locate some of these books:

If you want the best most up to date Hollywood/Stars Homes thing, then you should get "The Ultimate Hollywood Tour Book" by William A. Gordon.

If you're more into unusual unique history, gossip and scandal then get "This is Hollywood: An Unusual Movieland Guide" by Ken Schessler.

If you want cool walking tours of all different parts of LA then get "Walking LA: 36 Walking Tours" by Erin Mahoney.

I think that you should be able to get these all online (I'm just looking at them on my bookshelf).

I'd check all that out first, and then plan and decide before your trip.

Hope that helps.

CJW

PS Forget buying any of those maps to the stars homes. They're all outdated and incorrect and useless.

I agree ... Long Beach is NOT the place to stay if you're looking to sightseeing in LA, Universal Studios, etc. MANY nice hotels in the Hollywood area or in the area near the airport (LAX). Long Beach would be a very inconvenient location to use as your "home" base.

Thanks everyone

Ok we are actually just staying one night in LA flying back Sunday (will know more later today once hubby has had a chance to sort out his holiday entitlement) so I am better asking the TA to book somewhere in LA not Long Beach then?

Any recommended hotels please?

I would really like to see Universal and Rodeo as there are the only sites that I know about. I am going to buy a LA Guide book today and researcdh a bit more but it does seem to me that where we stay is most important.

Thanks

I would also recommend planning a visit to Mann's Chinese Theater (formerly Grauman's) which is where you can see all the old stars foot and handprints. If you have the time, a visit to Westwood to stroll and see the chic shops and nice restaurants (and many movie theaters). This is just east of Hollywood, and between there and Santa Monica/Venice, which is a good place to see the beach and CA beach culture. Another day would allow you to add the Getty Center, but you may not have time for that.

Do you plan to rent a car, or take taxis?

Any recommended hotels please?

Absolutely yes!

Here's just to start off with:

Hollywood Hotels

Farmer’s Daughter – 4.2 miles

Totally amazing refurbished retro Hollywood Hotel

Near CBS Studios and the famous Hollywood Canter’s Deli

Highest Recommendation Possible! Best Hollywood Hotel secret!

www.farmersdaughterhotel.com

Sportsman’s Lodge – 1.5 miles

Old school hotel, where studio actors hung out in the fifties and sixties

In the San Fernando Valley, shuttles to Universal

Down the street is Jerry’s Famous Deli, lots of young actors and studio people eat here

Andy Kaufman used to work here (see the film Man in the Moon)

www.slhotel.com

Grafton on Sunset – 3.1 miles

Old school Melrose place vibe

On Sunset Strip near House of Blues

If you stay here, be sure to eat at Chin Chin’s down the street in Sunset Plaza

I have seen Colin Farrell, Tobey Maguire, and Tippi Hedren here all at separate times

www.graftononsunset.com

Sheraton Universal – 0.5 miles

Nothing spectacularly special, but convenient for Universal

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=83

Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City – 0.4 miles

Same as Sheraton

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=BURUCHF

Check out the websites and decide what appeals to you personally. Don't leave it up to your travel agent.

The three at the top are very special unique hotels. Don't let yourself get booked into some nasty generic Best Western or Holiday Inn of which there are tons in and around Hollywood and Universal.

Hope that helps.

CJW

Thanks everyone

Ok we are actually just staying one night in LA flying back Sunday (will know more later today once hubby has had a chance to sort out his holiday entitlement) so I am better asking the TA to book somewhere in LA not Long Beach then?

Okay, so first of all I'm a big dork, but I love these boards too much:D .

What airport are you flying out of?

LAX?

Or another one?

Let me know please...

CJW

So, based on you are getting in from your cruise on Saturday, and flying out Sunday late evening....

And you want to go to Universal (which will be a fun day/evening, and then it will be open later on the Saturday evening).

Get off the ship...

Book the Sportsman's Lodge (ask for a patio room near the pool).

Drop off your luggage.

Drive or take a shuttle to Universal.

Enjoy the day, get back when you feel like it. If you feel like it have dinner at Jerry's Deli (open 24 hours).

Sunday - (forget Rodeo Drive, it's just a bunch of expensive shops that are exactly the same that you can see in Paris, Cannes, or Italy), just drive by in your rental car if you need to...

Go to Graumann's Chinese Theater (and Hollywood and Highland - Kodak theater where they host the Oscar's - two blocks together walking distance) in the morning.

Take a drive from there down Sunset Blvd.

(You get from down and dirty Hollywood, through Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, and then Malibu by doing this).

When you get to the end, take a left on Pacific Coast Highway.

Get to Venice Beach (I'll give you details after this)

Take in Venice Beach, walk up to the Santa Monica Pier.

Then at that point, you are about 20 to 30 minutes from LAX (if that is what you are flying in and out of).

Just shoot down Lincoln Blvd. to LAX avoiding freeway traffic.

Just my opinion, when I know more of what you are doing or interested in, I can help more.

I'll keep checking.

CJW

Curt

Thanks for the detailed iternary. That sounds absolutely great.

We are flying from LAX with British Airways.

Will check out the hotel, fancy a room near the pool too.

Spk soon as at work and really busy.

Hi Curt

Had another look at your suggestions. Saturday for Universal sounds brilliant. Do you think it maybe worth us getting a "special ticket" which gives us access to front of lines? Not sure what the crowds will be like this time of year? It is just that if they dont chuck us off the ship until 10.30 ish (although we have CC class which apparently gives priority debarkation) I am wondering then have far it is to the hotel and time wise also.

Right, we shall not be hiring a car so will be dependent on taxis and/or shuttle so can you map us out something for Sunday. I am not that fussed about shopping at Rodeo Drive (not to mention by this point in our holiday I should think the finances will be pretty much zilch) but thought it would be nice to just see it but yes you are right then, one parade of designer shops is very much the same as another. (My husband used to live in Knightsbridge behind Harrods and I often "went shopping" there.

He was thinking about the Getty Musueum - I have bought a Guide Book on LA so we should rally have a look through it for ideas.

Thanks.

Just want you to know that Universal City is mostly amusement park, shopping and restaurants. There are some shows and rides related to movie making. The Getty is a fabulous museum. Great views and interesting architecture.

So buy your guidebook and pick out what you want to see.

Hi Curt

He was thinking about the Getty Musueum - I have bought a Guide Book on LA so we should rally have a look through it for ideas.

Thanks.

Yes, look through the guide book and see what kinds of things interest you both. One of the problems of LA is there is SO much to do, and you really only have two partial days, so you really need to narrow your choices.

Also, just my opinion, but I think it's more important to do the things that are really uniquely LA, that you would only find or get a feel of here.

It's not like we have a thousand year history, so for me it's about the quirky things that developed from the beach/entertainment industry culture here in the last 100 years.

Let us know when you have some more ideas.

CJW

Sportsman Lodge is a very long ride from the docks in Long Beach (or San Pedro). There won't be too much traffic on a Saturday ... but even it light traffic you're looking at a good 45 mins to an hour's ride. The Getty museum is beautiful ... wonderful architecture and views (on a clear day) that stretch forever. However, coming from England and your proximity to all the wonderful museums of Europe ... you might not find it as exciting as we locals do.

Another possibility that you might wish to consider ... a Greyline (or similar) tour of Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc. They cover a lot of ground in a short time and give you an overview of the area.

Sportsman Lodge is a very long ride from the docks in Long Beach (or San Pedro). There won't be too much traffic on a Saturday ... but even it light traffic you're looking at a good 45 mins to an hour's ride.

Yes, but one of the things that they were interested in was Universal. They get a tour of a working Hollywood studio as well as rides, restaurants, that are purely fun, cheesy LA that they could never get in the UK.:D

The Getty museum is beautiful ... wonderful architecture and views (on a clear day) that stretch forever. However, coming from England and your proximity to all the wonderful museums of Europe ... you might not find it as exciting as we locals do.

Exactly my point. If they are super interested in art and architecture, then great. But (like Rodeo Drive) there's nothing that's better or more unique to LA that they can't see far easier all over Europe.:D

If they are desperatly interested in a uniquely LA museum, then I'd send them to the La Brea Tar Pits, as that is a rare/unique working dinosaur/fossil excavation museum.;)

Another possibility that you might wish to consider ... a Greyline (or similar) tour of Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc. They cover a lot of ground in a short time and give you an overview of the area.

Yeah, they can do this if they want, but those are all basically a big bunch of "cheese". (Note my previous post).

It's more about...

What do they want to do?

What are they interested in?

Do they want specific what's unique to LA/Hollywood?

This is easily do-able with their decisions and the proper info/planning.

CJW

PS Jarronwood, I'm totally in your corner and looking out for you. As long as you give me information on what you're looking for and interested in, I'm here to help you plan it out (from a native Los Angelino perspective);) .

Hi

Sorry I haven't been around - been away.

Another question - I cant tell from the guide maps the distances between places.

We def want to go to Universal Studios on the Saturday when we disembark the boat -

On the Sunday I am not sure what time we would have to leave the hotel to get to LAX - a friend of mine said it could take 3 hours to get across town to the airport!

I still haven't found a hotel so any suggestions for what area thats say between Universal and the Airport - is Beverely Hills a good area to stay in? I would like to spend as much time in LA as possible before we need to depart for the airport so somewhere as close to the airport (within reason) would be good.

We haven't decided on Sunday and I think we will just take that day as its comes.

Does anyone know what time Universal closes beginning of March and also how busy its likely to be on Saturday 3rd March?

First of all ... 3 hours across town to the airport is a little extreme for a Sunday. Three hours is pretty much the norm if you're trying to do it on a weekday during rush hour. Depending on the hour of the day ... on a Sunday (early morning) you could probably do the trip from downtown to LAX in about 30 - 40 mins. Later in the afternoon it will probably add another 10 - 15 mins to that.

Universal Studios ... Saturdays are always their busiest days. In March a lot of factors will affect the size of the crowds ... weather ... school Spring break ... etc. Just plan on crowds. As far as hours ... not sure what March will bring.

Personally, I'd find a hotel around Hollywood ... it will be very close to Universal (3 or 4 miles) ... convenient to freeway (for travel to airport) ... not far from Beverly Hills, Rodeo Dr., etc. ... also nighlife in Hollywood after Universal closes. And I still maintain the Sportsman's Lodge is only convenient as far as Universal goes.

Hi I live in LA about 30-40min. from the airport and very near the port. LAX has just started a remodel and is short one runway for at least 8 months. You need to get to the airport about 3 hrs. early. Friends were 2hrs early just last month and they missed their plane.

Since you are in LA such a short time just pick one place to see and stay near that place. The big hotels usually have shuttle service to the airport. Unfortunately, Universal is in the Valley and not that close to the airport. Without a rental car, the taxi fares can be high. You might be better off looking for something like a Gray Line tour (etc.) which will get you where you want to go with the least hassle. They are also familiar with our ever changing traffic. Usually traffic is lighter on the freeways on the weekends but you can never tell. Hope this helps.

Hi

Sorry I haven't been around - been away.

No problem, I'm going to keep checking in with you on this thread.:D

Another question - I can't tell from the guide maps the distances between places.

No problem. It is very difficult in LA to judge things like that, as we don't judge distances by miles (or in your case - I think - kilometers), we judge them on "minutes". Meaning what is 10 miles in distance in one part of LA could take you 10 minutes to get there (depending on day and traffic) and another part of the city 10 miles could take 60 minutes (again, depending on the day, part of the city, and traffic). So anything and everything I say (and all native Los Angelinos, will be "it's 30 minutes from there on Sunday" or " it's 10 minutes from that other place on Wednesday").

We def want to go to Universal Studios on the Saturday when we disembark the boat -

This is totally possible, and I recommend it for you, and I think you'll have a blast. I've checked so far, and they don't have the schedule posted for March yet. But, the earliest it will close is 7 PM, and the latest will be 9 PM. Plenty of time for you regardless. When you go here, you get to see/tour working and past movie sets such as Psycho House, the Jaws lake/location, multiple other things, and currently the Desperate Housewives set/street which those houses in the past were (amongst other things) both the "Leave it to Beaver" house, and "The Munsters" house both on the same street. Then you can go on rides, etc.

On the Sunday I am not sure what time we would have to leave the hotel to get to LAX - a friend of mine said it could take 3 hours to get across town to the airport!

It won't take 3 hours to get across town on a Sunday. From Universal or Hollywood 1 hour at the most. Look again at the game plan I gave you above. The beauty of it, is that you are seeing sights, and touring Hollywood and LA. And you are making the drive and making your way to the airport while you're doing it. If you end up at Venice Beach or Santa Monica like I'm suggesting, then straight shoot down Lincoln Blvd. on a Sunday, you can be at the airport in 20 minutes (most likely) to 30 minutes (not likely on a Sunday, but if you want to plan for the worst).

Avoiding all Freeway traffic.

I still haven't found a hotel so any suggestions for what area thats say between Universal and the Airport - is Beverely Hills a good area to stay in? I would like to spend as much time in LA as possible before we need to depart for the airport so somewhere as close to the airport (within reason) would be good.

No for what you want to do, Beverly Hills is not good. All of my previous recommendations for hotels still stand. You still have time, and I am looking into free shuttles, airport rides, and taxi costs for you.

I'm still telling you (depending on the situation and what I find out more specifically) Sportsman's Lodge for easy check in - to and from Universal, nice hotel (and Hollywood history) if you want to relax and have the pool that evening. Also, lots of "Hollywood history" restaurants and activities on Ventura Blvd. right near that hotel.

If you decide that you would want to do some Hollywood nightclubs/nightlife, then Farmer's Daughter and Grafton on Sunset are good. If you go with Farmer's Daughter, then you have The Grove across the street, but even more "insider" is the "Kibbitz" which is a little DJ/bar next to the famous Canter's Deli, where - first of all it's really fun - and second of all - that's where all the Hollywood TV and film writers, and musicians hang out.

If you go with Grafton on Sunset, then you are close to Mel's Diner, The Comedy Store, Chin Chin's, Sunset Plaza, The Roxy, The Whiskey, etc.

We haven't decided on Sunday and I think we will just take that day as its comes.

Here is the (UK word, pretend I have the accent) "brilliance" of my plan in the above post. You can start your Sunday in Hollywood (Chinese Theater, footprints, stars on Hollywood Blvd., walk up and around to Hollywood and Highland, Kodak Theater (site of the Academy Awards), shopping, etc.

You do the taxi or shuttle (still haven't worked the specifics of best options on that yet, but we have until March so I will) down Sunset Blvd. You get to see Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, etc.

You are already 2/3s to LAX at this point.

Take a left, get dropped off at Venice Beach or Santa Monica...

Walk up from Venice or down from Santa Monica, you get to shop (best fun shopping on Venice Beach) and see the location for TONS of TV shows and movies (Baywatch, Dogtown, Must Love Dogs, Starsky and Hutch, entirely too many to name, you will recognize it when you see it).

Then you are a quick shoot down Lincoln Blvd. to the airport (avoiding all Freeways and Freeway traffic) to get you to the airport in about 20 minutes.:D Just go with me here, it's all "do-able" and easily done, if you listen to me.

Does anyone know what time Universal closes beginning of March and also how busy its likely to be on Saturday 3rd March?

Like I said before, Universal does not have their schedule set up yet for March. But, in general, it will be open until 7 PM at the earliest closing, and could be up until 9 PM at the latest closing. It will always be busy on a Saturday (as this is a place that a lot of "locals" go to for a weekend), but more fun for you, and not SO busy that you can't enjoy the day.

I'm going to answer more later, but you totally can make this work, and I'm here for you!

CJW:D

And I still maintain the Sportsman's Lodge is only convenient as far as Universal goes.

God Bless you Temecula!

(My mom lives in Palmdale!)

And yes, Sportsman's Lodge is close (has a free shuttle) Hollywood historical, and also close to some really cool historical/hollywood history restaurants.

They want to go to Universal, there are still good options I presented above on "Hollywood" hotels, but I'm thinking about their time frame and possibilities.

Sportsman's Lodge can totally work (because they want Saturday at Universal) and get them to Hollywood, Sunset Blvd., Santa Monica, Venice Beach and to LAX with no problem in their timeframe.

Read my above posts, I'll have more specifics, as they decide on more plans.:D

CJW

Hi I live in LA about 30-40min. from the airport and very near the port. LAX has just started a remodel and is short one runway for at least 8 months. You need to get to the airport about 3 hrs. early. Friends were 2hrs early just last month and they missed their plane.

Since you are in LA such a short time just pick one place to see and stay near that place. The big hotels usually have shuttle service to the airport. Unfortunately, Universal is in the Valley and not that close to the airport. Without a rental car, the taxi fares can be high. You might be better off looking for something like a Gray Line tour (etc.) which will get you where you want to go with the least hassle. They are also familiar with our ever changing traffic. Usually traffic is lighter on the freeways on the weekends but you can never tell. Hope this helps.

Okay, so Jarronwood, just take this for what it is...

I grew up in Malibu and West LA.

Currently I live about 5 minutes from LAX.

I have to drive back and forth from LAX to various parts of Hollywood, "the Valley" studio areas (which includes Universal Studios on a regular basis), Venice Beach and Malibu for my job.

I know all of the streets, shortcuts, and sights like the back of my hand.

I can give you specific insider daily basis things to see, streets to take to avoid traffic, etc.

If you want...:D

Just saying...

CJW

PS I wouldn't take any tour. Boring, boring. And you can easily make a tour and program out for yourself on what you want to do.;)

IMHO,we have been to the Getty and it is great and worth seeing if you have the time.I was wondering how much a taxi is from San Pedro port to LAX or is it cheaper to take a shuttle.I have been quoted $70.00 for 2? Any suggestions for great restaurants would also be appreciated.By the way all this info has been very helpful.

IMHO,we have been to the Getty and it is great and worth seeing if you have the time.I was wondering how much a taxi is from San Pedro port to LAX or is it cheaper to take a shuttle.I have been quoted $70.00 for 2? Any suggestions for great restaurants would also be appreciated.By the way all this info has been very helpful.

Survivor...

Please start a new thread for yourself on your trip and questions.

(Like check out the Wilshire on Westwood one)...

I'm more than happy to answer your questions and help on your own trip and thread, but it will get confusing if we're talking about multiple different people's vacations in the same thread.

Deal?:D

Yes, I agree Getty is great, if you have the time, which they don't for what they want to do.:(

Oh and thanks, I'm just here to help.;)

CJW

Hi Curt

Just digesting your advice. Sportsman Lodge seems very expensive as against other hotels. Cheapest quote I have got is £86 english pounds others in the area about £50. Still looking at others sites though.

How long would it take then to get to the airport from Sportsman Lodge on SUnday.? Our flight is at 8.30.

Also how long to get to Universal Studios?. I have a feeling we might not get there until mid day and am minded to purchase VIP tickets which get you first in the queue and the rides.

Is Sportsman Lodge near the beach? Can we walk there. It is just that I know we will be probably exhausted after the day at Universal and a short stroll from the hotel either along the beach or along some street for something to eat would be ideal.

Thanks for all your advice so far, without your suggestions i dont know what we would have done.

Archived