Kids in Sept

ezmony54

Going on the Glory last week in Sept and all my prev cruises were earlier. I love children but kinda hoping there would not be many since school is going on and was wondering if this were true. Always before they dominated the pools and spas and the buffet lines. Hoping to have a more peaceful week this time. Am I dreaming....ez:cool:

We cruised last year mid Oct. and there weren't a lot of kids on the ship then. So....I think you will be pretty safe in assuming that most kids will be back in school at that time. Even the year round schools here are not on break then.

i understand how you feel. i am in my late 50's, live alone with no children at home and travel solo, so i dont want to be on a ship crowded with hundreds of them. i love kids but not when i am trying to have a peaceful vacation. i always book my cruises when they will be in school. then i know it will cut down on the amount of them on the ship. i think you will be ok for a more quiet time on the ship :) .

Going on the Glory last week in Sept and all my prev cruises were earlier. I love children but kinda hoping there would not be many since school is going on and was wondering if this were true. Always before they dominated the pools and spas and the buffet lines. Hoping to have a more peaceful week this time. Am I dreaming....ez:cool:

We cruise in September alot.. minimal kids onboard. I think there was like 30 on the ship last September on the miracle.

when you speak of kids are you talking about little kids or high school/ college aged kids?

I am booked for Oct and i am college aged so i am hoping for there to be some "kids" around the college age on board. Anyone who has booked before that can give me info about the demographics in october.

You'll be o.k.. In essence, though, is the problem the kids - or the parents?

I don't have any kids, not that I don't like them, just not in my agenda at the moment. I do think, that 9 times out of 10 it is the parents' behavior reflecting on the child, not just the child running amuke.

DH and I, don't really want to be on a ship full of children and irresponsible parents. Glad to hear the pool will be clear for adult shinanagins.

You'll be o.k.. In essence, though, is the problem the kids - or the parents?

Definitely YES!! I can deal with the parents I can't grab a 10 year old and tell him/her to shut up and sit down. That's why we booked a cruise in September...I've had too many cruises ruined by unruly, misbehaving brats.

Hi,

We have done quite a few sailing this time of year and the kids onboard are reduced. Not the hoards of kids that you will find say sailing this Saturday :D Now with that being said.. I'm sailing with you and bringing my 2 kids :) .

As of now on our roll call there are 6 kids (under 18).

You'll have a great sailing!

Shanda

I could do without reading all the posts about "bratty" kids....but yes, most kids will be in school so you won't see many aboard in September. I have actually been complimented by other adults about my children before on cruise ships, some children are respectful and you hardly notice they are there.

I have been on three kid friendly cruises during the school year, two of them on Carnival ships. Each time there are about 100 - 150 kids and I hardly notice them. Based on my experience you should not have any problems.

However, you can also look into other lines. I took a two week cruise in Alaska in July. Though this is not during the school year, the ship was not kid friendly and it showed. I'll bet there were less than 20 kids on that cruise. So, you might try lines like HAL, Celebrity or Princess, where you are less likely to find may kids, especially during school time.

I could do without reading all the posts about "bratty" kids....but yes, most kids will be in school so you won't see many aboard in September. I have actually been complimented by other adults about my children before on cruise ships, some children are respectful and you hardly notice they are there.

Sorry these posts about "bratty kids" seem to offend you, but you have to understand ...grown adults do not go to all the trouble of planning their vacations around this issue for the fun of it.

True, there are always great kids. I happen to have raised 2 boys that have traveled all over the world with us without one problem. Considering the large number of children on cruises, a majority are great.

However, the situation with "problem children" is bad and growing worse. Carnival (and other cruise lines) need to address it. It isn't fair to folks like teachers (who can't travel in September or February), to have less than a great experience on a cruise ship, because parents are idiots and others want to overlook it. "Some children are respectful" (while a true statement) does not help much when there is a group of heathens running and yelling down the halls at 2AM.

I agree with the previous poster. If you want to avoid kids, find a less family friendly cruise line. Book the late seating for dinner. We enjoy being able to take our children on vacation with us while also having a nice vacation. That is one of the reasons we chose carnival. Camp Carnival is a way for us to have some alone time and for our kids to be with other kids. I don't think it is carnival's fault. They don't hide the fact that they have a kids camp and they don't advertise adult only pools or decks (to my knowledge). Now, if they want to discourage families with children or accomadate adults who want a quiet vacation then they have some changes to make. Just my 2 cents worth.

Sorry these posts about "bratty kids" seem to offend you, but you have to understand ...grown adults do not go to all the trouble of planning their vacations around this issue for the fun of it.

True, there are always great kids. I happen to have raised 2 boys that have traveled all over the world with us without one problem. Considering the large number of children on cruises, a majority are great.

However, the situation with "problem children" is bad and growing worse. Carnival (and other cruise lines) need to address it. It isn't fair to folks like teachers (who can't travel in September or February), to have less than a great experience on a cruise ship, because parents are idiots and others want to overlook it. "Some children are respectful" (while a true statement) does not help much when there is a group of heathens running and yelling down the halls at 2AM.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this. I have never had any problems with the kids myself (I have also been on a ship with 800 - 900 kids, and will be again in June 2007). Some parents, when they plan a vacation on a cruise ship, also apparently take a vacation from parenting. Unfortunately, it shows up in the actions of their kids. Thus the kids get the bad rap for the parents neglect.

We Love To Cruise This Last Week In Sept. So Be Careful Bc It Is A Cheap Week, That Is One ReasOn Why We Go With The Kids.

Look Into An Adults Only Cruise, Some Lines Offer These Several Times A Year.

Good Luck.

I agree with the previous poster. If you want to avoid kids, find a less family friendly cruise line. Book the late seating for dinner. We enjoy being able to take our children on vacation with us while also having a nice vacation. That is one of the reasons we chose carnival. Camp Carnival is a way for us to have some alone time and for our kids to be with other kids. I don't think it is carnival's fault. They don't hide the fact that they have a kids camp and they don't advertise adult only pools or decks (to my knowledge). Now, if they want to discourage families with children or accomadate adults who want a quiet vacation then they have some changes to make. Just my 2 cents worth.

No, but two of their recent commercials don't show a single kid, they focus on "couples"... as does the advertising that comes to me as a single person. They target various demographics... not saying it's not for kids, but not all of their advertising focuses on children ;) Thankfully they DO have adults only areas as well.

To the OP, I haven't cruised in September, but I can tell you that in October there are typically few kids. Good luck!!

as shanda stated if you are going september 23rd then you definatly will have about 6 "kids". on our roll call we have, (if i can remember right) 2 eleven year olds, a six year old?, at least one 16 year old and then myself (20) the boy (20) his sister (18) and his brother (3) of course his parents are going to be there but we are talking about "kids" right? my group is very well behaved (can't say anything about the 3 year old cuz come on, hes 3, what do you expect?!) and i do believe the rest will be to based on their parents posts. so either take it or leave it. anywhere you go you are going to have "kids" unless you go adults only. :)

I don't think anybody who asks about the amount of kids on ships at certain times of the year expects there to be NO KIDS on board.

Pretty much everybody understands that 90% of the kids will be well behaved and well mannered.

But if a cruise has 1,000 kids on board in July and another cruise has 100 kids on board in September, I'll take the 10% of poorly behaved kids out of 100 rather than the 10% of 1,000.......

Bill

We take our kids out of school to cruise, it is cheaper. We have gone in October, September and December and all of times there have been plenty of friends for them. If you are going with the worry about how many children you will encounter you will not enjoy yourself! Go with the flow! There will be kids!!!!

Well thanks for all the input. I think what I posted in the beginning was not what I really wanted to come out. I love kids(used to be one) and I have 3 grown children that I took everywhere. I am a youth coach in several sports and the Head of our towns recreation dept and taught youth in church many years. They do not bother me but, but I am looking forward to a nice cruise that we can relax watch maybe a few kids in the pool and actualy be able to get in the pool. Thought Sept might be good for that and after reading this post think I might be good. As for those posters that have Children on my cruise I hope to meet you...ez:cool:

"SOME" children are respectful. And if yours are, you have **every** right to be extremely proud of them. I hope they also can see the difference between the way they act and some bad examples. We are a kidless couple and we also travel in September for the same reasons (Also it is our wedding anniversary ;) ) .

Our best friends have the most well-behaved five-year old I've ever seen in my life. It is a JOY to be around kids who behave properly in public, it is the other ones that we avoid. :) And, fair or unfair, it is usually the bad experiences that we'll remember longer. I have no problem with kids being kids, but when multiple children run screaming up and down the hall, no parent in sight, wreaking havoc for the pure joy of hearing their piercing voices echo in a public place, these are the moments that remind me why I avoid large groups of children. The majority of them are not as good as yours are tkportersat. I hope other guests continue to tell them how well-behaved they are, and if I see them, I will too!!

Happy Cruising!

Tammy

"SOME" children are respectful. And if yours are, you have **every** right to be extremely proud of them. I hope they also can see the difference between the way they act and some bad examples. We are a kidless couple and we also travel in September for the same reasons (Also it is our wedding anniversary ;) ) .

Our best friends have the most well-behaved five-year old I've ever seen in my life. It is a JOY to be around kids who behave properly in public, it is the other ones that we avoid. :) And, fair or unfair, it is usually the bad experiences that we'll remember longer. I have no problem with kids being kids, but when multiple children run screaming up and down the hall, no parent in sight, wreaking havoc for the pure joy of hearing their piercing voices echo in a public place, these are the moments that remind me why I avoid large groups of children. The majority of them are not as good as yours are tkportersat. I hope other guests continue to tell them how well-behaved they are, and if I see them, I will too!!

Happy Cruising!

Tammy

I guess it just hit a nerve with me because some posters talk so negatively about children. I take trips without my kids to "get away" as well, but don't expect that others will be leaving their kids at home. I have seen many kids that do need some supervision, but I don't let it ruin my trip.

To the OP: I think your post was a legimate question, and you definitely will see less children when it is not a Holiday or August-May. Some of the respondents got a little off course. I personally will not pull my kids out of school for a week to take vacation, but I know some will because it is cheaper. I hope you have a good trip by the way, I travel the week after you and I am counting the days!!

Archived