Automatic gratuities or at our discretion....what do you think?

Seayalater

I am interested in what you all think of the automated tips on Princess opposed to the traditional end of cruise tipping (Celebrity).

My husband had several conversations w/fellow passengers on Caribbean Princess last week regarding this and several mentioned yes, some crew members seemed to be going through the motions, but a few others

went that extra mile regarding attentive service.

I overheard a conversation between a passenger and a Lido bar attendant discussing his dissastisfaction and how he "had lost his motivation" after 2 months aboard. That he had seen it all (West & Eastern Caribbean) and was in limbo. He was quite candid with this woman who lent a caring ear for him to vent. I also heard a few other crew members saying they were getting off Saturday "and Thank God for that". I imagine the repeation is mind numbing.

Anyone care to comment?

A "bar attendent" wouldn't be affected by auto tip or by traditional as they are tipped as a function of the drinks they serve (15% added). They are not in the $10 a day tips that go to cabin steward, front and back waiters, Maitre'ds etc.

There might be a difference in the way wait staff feels but we have not noticed a large difference in the auto-tip sailings we have been on and frankly it doesn't matter what we as individuals do or think. If I opt out of auto-tip and use envelopes I am one or two or a hundred out of 2000. The system is in place and will be the lions share of the persons income no matter what I do. Most staff doesn't even know you have opted out until the end of cruise so it can't really affect service. I suppose you could tell them upfront but that would likely come across as a odd at best and a threat at worst.

I am guessing this second hand conversation was more to do with working on a ship and less to do with a gratuity system.

Everyone gripes about their job. That's normal. I've worked overseas, and I can tell you that I completely understand those who can think about nothing else but an impending trip home. It really doesn't matter where you are, home is where the heart is.

I've not noticed any significant change in the attitude of the staff or quality of service with auto-tipping in place. At worst, we've always had competent people taking care of us in our cabin or in the dining room. Usually we get great staff that we get along with very well.

Edited to add: Automatic gratuities are still at your discretion. You can remove or adjust the amounts as you see fit.

On every Princess ship - I have always received good enough service to warrant leaving the auto-tips on. And in the vast majority of those, I have given an additional envelope with some extra cash as an additional tip.

I also have not noticed the servers/room steward not as motiviated as before auto-tipping. In some cases - once or twice, I had possibly thought service was a tad less attentive but I thought it was due to the wait staff having to take care of more areas then previously because I see them working really hard.

There was only one cruise where I reduced the tips and it was a Celebrity cruise.

I have done both.... A few times onboard the service was really poor so I opt to do my own tipping and gave out large tips to the people who went the extra mile. The rest of the time if I felt the service was average then I would just leave it.

I did talk to my cabin stewart on the Coral about this and he was quiet hesitant to talk to me about it. When I asked why I was told that they can get in quiet a bit of trouble for discussing it with passengers. He was so good that we opt to take the tips off and tip him personally, we also did the same of the waitstaff in the dining room.

I do like the fact that I can tip whatever I want on Celebrity but with all said there are quiet a few people that do not tip after having great service. They don't show up for the last meal and then leave the waitstaff empty handed after they have bent over backwards for these people.....

Debi

Overall, people in general are reluctant to talk about their pay -- especially to people they just meet.

I recently spent B2B on the Dawn Princess. I waited until the prices dropped and got an exceptional deal on inside cabins for both weeks. When people asked if I did a land vacation before the cruise, I indicated that I was spending 2 weeks on the ship --- this immediately caused several people to ask what I did and how much money I make. I found this really strange since they were also spending 2 week on their vacation (one week land and one week on the ship) and no one asked them that question.

So - it doesn't surprise me that the staff is reluctant to discuss pay since I am also.

We leave the automatic tip in place and also tip extra at the end, and believe me they deserve it. We have always had good service (some cabin attendants or waiters a little more outgoing than others) but the service is always great. And I try to remember that sometimes they may be having a bad day too or maybe they're cranky because of someone complaining about something stupid.

Like the poster above, we normally leave the auto tip in place, and then tip above and beyond that when we feel the service warrants it.

I have talked to several crew members who think the current system is fairer to the vast majority. I have also talked to some who feel that fewer crew members are being "stiffed" by non-tippers. On the flip side, I have heard a few say that it is detrimental to the ones who really work hard.

Like so many things in life, one size does not fit all.

Michael

He was so good that we opt to take the tips off and tip him personally, we also did the same of the waitstaff in the dining room.

By doing that you really didn't accomplish anything because if the auto tips are removed the money they receive must be pooled. They are required to turn in all gratuities received with your name and cabin # on the envelope. If you have left the auto tip in place they are then given the envelope with the gratuity back and if you have removed the auto tip the money must be pooled. If they were so good a better choice would have been to leave the auto tips in place and give some extra. This policy has been confirmed many times.

I like the auto tips because I am able to carry less money but I always give extra to the cabin stewards and the waiter and assistant waiter. I have never tipped less even if I felt the service wasn't 100%. Fortunately we have never had an occasion were something was truly awful!

One cruise we had a cabin steward that we didn't feel went the extra mile--there wasn't anything specific he did his job but there was no interaction. Still we tipped the suggested amount plus a little extra. What a surprise to discover we had the very same cabin steward on our next trip. And to our amazement he remembered us from the previous trip. We quickly discovered he was extremely shy and preferred to do his job in the background, but this time we drew him out and he turned out to be the best steward we ever had.

I also leave on the auto tip and then tip extra in person. Someone who I felt did a fine job but didn't put in any or much extra effort may get just a little bit extra and someone who I felt did an exceptional job and put in extra effort gets more extra tip and perhaps a hand-written note of thanks telling them what I particularly appreciated.

One or two of the most exceptional also get a "You Made a Difference" card filled out and turned in for them. I'm told these are not just a token, but actually can have an impact on performance ratings and bonuses/raises.

Several years ago, we were on the Royal Princess on the first cruise following an around-the-world cruise where passengers were onboard for over two months. This was before auto-tipping. Our waitstaff told us of other waiters who had been stiffed for the entire cruise. I just can't imagine someone not tipping. Every time I think of that I get mad.

If the service has been truly horrible, then I would take off the auto-tipping and tip individually. But if it's been "average," which most is, I leave it on. If it's exceptional, I give them an additional tip. I also make sure I note in the rating card whether someone has been really bad (and why) or exceptional (and why.) The cruiseline really does read those and it does have an impact.

I am mostly in agreement with all of you but on this one cruise (we have been on 18 previous) the service was totally on called for. As you can tell from some of my other post I am not a complainer and I usually keep my mouth shut but this trip on the Island was bad. When I asked our room stewart if he had to report this money he told me No and that he really appreciated it. As I stated I usually leave the auto tip on.

When we were on the Island Princess I had a very long conversation regarding our issues on the Island with the Mr. Brenner the Hotel Maitre'd at the time and he had express that he had a lot of complaints on this cruise. I wrote a letter to Peter Radicliffe regarding my issues, I received a personal call from Mr. Rai Calouri Senior VP of Hotel Operations regarding all the issues. We also received a credit of $700.00 that we can use at any time. We have since sailed on the Coral which was terrific and I left the auto tip in place and tip extra to the crew that went above and beyond. Now we are looking forward to our next trip on Princess.

I am stating a fact of what happened with us and many people on this one trip in which many people did take the tip off of their bill.

Debi

The only problem I have witht he auto tips is that I know some of hte money goes to those who did not perform any services for me whatsoever. However, the system, as described above leaves us few real options in that regard, so I generally leave them on.

I am mostly in agreement with all of you but on this one cruise (we have been on 18 previous) the service was totally on called for. As you can tell from some of my other post I am not a complainer and I usually keep my mouth shut but this trip on the Island was bad. When I asked our room stewart if he had to report this money he told me No and that he really appreciated it. As I stated I usually leave the auto tip on.

When we were on the Island Princess I had a very long conversation regarding our issues on the Island with the Mr. Brenner the Hotel Maitre'd at the time and he had express that he had a lot of complaints on this cruise. I wrote a letter to Peter Radicliffe regarding my issues, I received a personal call from Mr. Rai Calouri Senior VP of Hotel Operations regarding all the issues. We also received a credit of $700.00 that we can use at any time. We have since sailed on the Coral which was terrific and I left the auto tip in place and tip extra to the crew that went above and beyond. Now we are looking forward to our next trip on Princess.

I am stating a fact of what happened with us and many people on this one trip in which many people did take the tip off of their bill.

Debi

It is nice to know if something like this happens and the bad service is just not an isolated incidence that they will allow removing the auto tips and tipping the individuals separately. Seems there must have been a big problem on that cruise that so many complained.

I do feel they should have sent out notices saying the individulas you tip on this cruise will be allowed to keep the tips and not be required to pool them. At least those that removed the auto tips should have been notified.

I just wonder how the crew that work behind the scenes felt when they had a big reduction in tips because the pool was so low. :confused:

I appreciate the convenience of the automated tipping. My understanding is that whatever you do for the steward goes straight to him or her. The wiat staff tips are pooled. When we went last we took off the tips for our two youg children and simply gave some extra cash to our cabin steward who cleaned up after them. I think the service issues is less with the tipping method then the PC dining. Overall, while I think the added freedom of when you dine is great, especially with young kids, it is clear that the DR service as deteriorated. Over seven nights we had old style princess waiters twice, once at Sabatinis and once in the DR, of the rest 4 were ok and one was just rude. Also, with the new seating method, the captains that once supervised service have turned into hosts or spend most of their time walking people to their table. Overall i still think the DR tips are qite reasonable given the service, but Princess needs to keep a better watch on its service.

My understanding is that whatever you do for the steward goes straight to him or her. The wiat staff tips are pooled.
One of the disadvantages of the auto-tipping is that the system isn't understood and staff sometimes inadvertantly get less than they deserve. The above is not a correct statement. The $10 per day takes care of the wait staff and room attendants. If you remove the autotip, they must pool whatever you give them. If you don't remove the autotip, whatever is extra is theirs to keep.
My husband had several conversations w/fellow passengers on Caribbean Princess last week regarding this and several mentioned yes, some crew members seemed to be going through the motions, but a few others

went that extra mile regarding attentive service.

I overheard a conversation between a passenger and a Lido bar attendant discussing his dissastisfaction and how he "had lost his motivation" after 2 months aboard. That he had seen it all (West & Eastern Caribbean) and was in limbo. He was quite candid with this woman who lent a caring ear for him to vent. I also heard a few other crew members saying they were getting off Saturday "and Thank God for that". I imagine the repeation is mind numbing.

Anyone care to comment?

I don't think this has anything to do with the tipping system. Think about it - 3100 people every seven days, the same itinerary every two weeks. On top of that, 12 to 16 hour days. You'd be tired too. Given the type of experience Princess offers, the auto tip somewhat guarantees that all staff members will get a fare share without having to break their backs, but that $10 is pooled over more than just the waiter, assistant waiter and room steward. Part of that goes to other departments on the ship as well...so those on the "front lines" can still be motivated for additional tips.

Personally, except for the travel and being at sea, I wouldn't want the job. Often times the staff has to take abuse from rude, obnoxious and often inebriated passengers. That they don’t all go mad is pretty remarkable.

I wouldn't know who to tip and who else we had missed if we did the tipping on our own.

My dad who cruised at least 4 times a year (for 10+ years now) used to say that (this is before auto-tipping) lots of people would not go to their regular seating at the dining room (they go to the buffet instead) to avoid tipping the wait staff. He's heard countless complaints from their wait staff about some passengers who weasle out of tipping. He said it is just not right to those people who worked so hard. If that's the case, auto-tipping is a better system for the staff on the ship. They don't have to worry about people not tipping.

I guess this question is more for people who do not think $10 per day per person tip is fair (either too much or too little). If you want to do individual tipping, you would have to seek out all the servers who served you during the entire cruise....I think that's impossible to do on your last day of the cruise.

I personally prefer auto-tipping and something extra for our room steward.

Jennifer

Archived