Looks Like Its Starting~Crack Down,Carry On Booze

MikeM

If that's been RCL's policy, it's no surprise they're cracking down now, and if it's a new policy, it's not surprising they've initiated it. When someone hears about someone drinking himself or herself to death on a cruise ship, the first thing they ask is "which cruiseline was that?".

And suddenly the cruiseline is at fault. "Why didn't they search his luggage to make sure he hadn't smuggled? How come none of the crew saw him staggering around in the halls? Why didn't the security cameras alert the crew that this passenger was in danger?" Blahbety, blahbety, blah....

:p

I have to say that when we sailed RCL (1 time) I saw more drunk underage teens (under 18) then I've seen total drunks on all my Carnival cruises combined.

I think the 18 yo limit for beer and wine really contributed to that for this reason. An 18 yo will buy for someone as young as 14 (which I saw several drunk 14 yo on RCL) - where a 21 yo will buy for an 18 to 20 yo but is less likely to buy for anyone younger than 18. One young man was passed out at the bottom of a flight of steps - scaring our tablemate to death (she thought he might have fallen down the steps). When she called the purser they asked if he was breathing. She told them she didn't stop long enough to check - just went straight away to call them. When they arrived it didn't even phase them that he was so young.

This is just my opinion and is not based on fact - just life experience. My then 15 yo got "toasted" on that RCL cruise. Along with grounded. His newly found 18 yo friends were buying for him.

Think about it. On a cruise (caribbean especially) the ship ports in many ports of call where those 18 and over (sometime under :rolleyes: ) can drink legally - so once on the ship those that are 21 are very likely to purchase for their friends 18 to 20 to continue the fun.

I think it's a good move on RCL's part. I might even consider cruising them again.

OP should have read the entire posting and associated link. This was a draft internal memo from RCCL which was never released. In fact, RCCL made sure the originating website was taken offline.

OP should have read the entire posting and associated link. This was a draft internal memo from RCCL which was never released. In fact, RCCL made sure the originating website was taken offline.

Yes but several TA's including mine have now stated that this is on the RCI TA website. Changes are coming. Some do not want to agree or see it but so be it.

Yes but several TA's including mine have now stated that this is on the RCI TA website. Changes are coming. Some do not want to agree or see it but so be it.

Talked to my TA today. RCL has said that it is again a rumor and that no changes in current policy are planned for the near future. The post was put out for comments.

Carnival Cruise Lines

Liquor Policy

We are sorry, but guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages for consumption on board the ship. However, if you will be celebrating a special occasion while on board, a bottle of fine wine or champagne may be brought on board during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise only. A $10 corkage fee will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine in the dining room. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. Excessive quantities to be determined at the discretion of security and/or embarkation personnel, will be confiscated and retained by Carnival until the cruise is completed. Guests may also purchase mixed drinks and other beverages from any of the ship's bars and lounges. Alcoholic beverages will not be sold or served to anyone under the age of 21. We reserve the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the ship's gift shops or in foreign ports will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

RCI will be the same shortly.

Carnival Cruise Lines

Liquor Policy

We are sorry, but guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages for consumption on board the ship. However, if you will be celebrating a special occasion while on board, a bottle of fine wine or champagne may be brought on board during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise only. A $10 corkage fee will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine in the dining room. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. Excessive quantities to be determined at the discretion of security and/or embarkation personnel, will be confiscated and retained by Carnival until the cruise is completed. Guests may also purchase mixed drinks and other beverages from any of the ship's bars and lounges. Alcoholic beverages will not be sold or served to anyone under the age of 21. We reserve the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the ship's gift shops or in foreign ports will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

RCI will be the same shortly.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Archived