Transportation-parking New York

Hi - Hope you can help me --- we are leaving in October for a cruise on the Holland America - Noordam - we are planning on renting a car from the Cape and driving down --- however what we would like to do is to drop the car off at the nearest hotel to the pier and then take a taxi to the pier as I understand that the parking ar the pier is $20.00 plus --- the cost would be over $200.00 --- I am not familiar as to where the nearest hotel would be and if this is possible and would appreciate it if any of you could offer me some information ---thanks a bunch

I understand there's a monthly rate at the pier for $180. That may be affordable.

Have you considered driving to Providence the day before and taking the HAL bus to the pier? Friends did this last Spring.

There's a nice hotel 2-3 miles from the bus depot. HAL fare is reasonable, and I'm betting that even with 1-night at the hotel it would be cheaper.

Parking on Manhattan is extremely pricey everywhere - most hotels don't have parking and those that do may not allow you to park there for the week if you are not a guest at the time that the car is there (limited space and post-9/11 security, you know).

If you insist on driving into Manhattan (I don't suggest it if you're not familiar/comfortable driving in extreme traffic) you'd be better off leaving the car at the pier...

Parking at the pier is by far the best option if you are going to be driving into Manhattan for your cruise. You just drop off your luggage, pull up to the roof and park, and take the escalator down to embark. On the way out, it is just as simple! But be warned, like Brian said, driving in NYC is not for the faint of heart (or those who, as my wife would say, don't have a deathwish)! Personally, I like it -- but I grew up there.

As I recall, in March on my 10 day cruise, the tab for parking was $180 - so they might just cap the bill at that price. Hadn't really thought about it before. I probably would have paid twice that to be on the ship!

As for hotels, there are bunches - most not close enough to walk from, but easy cab rides (who wants to walk with all the luggage, anyway?). I have stayed at the Hotel Metro (www.hotelmetronyc.com), which was nice, clean, reasonably priced (for NYC), and had a great location - right near the Empire State Bldg, Macy's, etc. Might be worth a look. They also have a deal with the parking garage next door, so if you stay there, you can park right there, and then drive yourself to the pier.

You wouldn't happen to be going on the 25th, are you? Just curious since my DW and I are going to be on the Noordam for that trip.

Keep Smiling!!!

Happy, I agree with Ruth. We took the HAL bus to NYC last spring for the Noordam and it was the best way to go. It seems to me it was only $79 pp. Call HAL and ask. Gas, hotels, parking....they all add up. The bus starts in Boston, then Providence, New London, CT. and the New Haven. If they think it may be crowded, HAL has a bus assigned to Boston, alone. Brian's right. Hotels in Manhatten won't let you park there if you aren't there. And driving in Manhattan is a bear!

Have your TA check on promo HP free bus transfers:

Book a verandah stateroom by July 31st for free motorcoach service to our New York home port from select cities:
Albany, Boston, Burlington, Harrisburg, Jamesburg, Mt. Arlington, New Haven, New London, New Paltz, Philadelphia, Providence, Stroudsburg and Wayne. Contact your travel professional for complete details.

http://crm.hollandamerica.com/broadbaseema/HA3129/email/2006/6-14-06/CBnyc_ap.htm

We got this promo even though we paid in full. :D

We will be on the Amsterdam on 9/27. We're renting a car 4 days earlier in Boston and touring our way down to New York. We've rented from Budget at Logan Airport and we'll be returning to the Budget facility at 304 W. 49th St., between 8th & 9th in Manhattan. The ship will be at Pier 89-90-92, 711 12th Ave. So we'll have a short taxi ride to the ship and won't have to put up with any parking fees, etc.

This might work for you if you still want to pick up a rental to get to NYC.

Oh My Gosh!

I completely missed the part about renting the car...

Why on earth would the OP pay $$$ for a car to sit in a garage unused for a week and a half???

There are rental agencies that will drop you off and pick you up - why not arrange with one of them to drop you off/pick you up at the pier on the appointed days? Worst case scenario: You take a taxi from the rental place in Manhattan to the pier and vice-versa on the return.

We took the HAL bus from Philly, very convenient. But I think I remember chatter that the parking fees for the pier are paid at the START of the cruise not at the end. Don't remember what forms of payment are acceptable - cash, check, trav checks, debit/credit card, pint of blood... :D .

If you're renting, why not do 2 one-way rentals? That way you don't pay for storage during the cruise. Drop-off the rental on embarkation day, then take a taxi to the pier. When you get back, do the reverse. Just take a cab to the rental agency, load up your luggage & head home!

If it's several of you cruising together, only 1 of you really needs to go to the agency - both ways. You could drop-off everyone + luggage at the pier & then when you come back from the cruise, go get the rental & come back to the pier to pick-up the rest of your travelling party.

Just some ideas. :)

Have your TA check on promo HP free bus transfers:

Book a verandah stateroom by July 31st for free motorcoach service to our New York home port from select cities:
Albany, Boston, Burlington, Harrisburg, Jamesburg, Mt. Arlington, New Haven, New London, New Paltz, Philadelphia, Providence, Stroudsburg and Wayne. Contact your travel professional for complete details.

http://crm.hollandamerica.com/broadbaseema/HA3129/email/2006/6-14-06/CBnyc_ap.htm

We got this promo even though we paid in full. :D

We just made our final payment last week for the Oct 14th cruise on the Noordam including bus fare from Boston. Our TA never said anything about the free bus transfer.

So do we now take this up directly with HA or the TA. I would like a $179 credit.

We just made our final payment last week for the Oct 14th cruise on the Noordam including bus fare from Boston. Our TA never said anything about the free bus transfer.

So do we now take this up directly with HA or the TA. I would like a $179 credit.

EDnLISA - I looked at the link NavyChief posted. Your sailing IS included in the free bus promo. CALL your TA. It's his/her job to intercede on your behalf.

When you made final payment, its quite possible the TA just applied your funds. Doesn't mean they did anything wrong. TAs can't possibly know about every promo that every tour operator offers.

Anyhow, call & ask for promo code RA, RH or FE. If it's too late for a refund, ask for shipboard credit. To me it would be the same thing.

Good luck & let us know what happens.

If you booked through a TA, then your TA will have to work with HAL to credit your account. HAL will only speak to you directly if you booked through them. Also, don't let them say it's for new bookings only. We booked our Noordam trip last September. The HAL agent wasn't sure at first but the supervisor said it applies.

Hi and first of all thank you for all of your replys --- we have been away for a few days and apologize for not getting back to all of you to say thank you - meanwhile -- I think that perhaps the best way would be for us is to check on the 2 one way rentals --- as that seems to be exactly what we are trying to do -- for sure I cannot see paying for and leaving a rental car for 10 days -- hopefully we can do that --- I think the next thing we have to do is to check out and see what car rentals will let us do that --- we will be on the October25th sailing --- if you know what car agencys have that kind of plan - I would appreciate it if you could let me know --- once again THANKYOU for all of you info

I emailed the TA since its next to impossible to get them on the phone and sent them the promo codes. They so elegantly replied with:

"i call the cruise line and the motor coach is not free"

and that was it.

So, I also sent them the web link to that promotion and am waiting to hear from them again . That response got me a bit annoyed and I hope that come up with something better in their next response.

Well I hope it works out for you. I'm suprised that they didn't know about the various HAL promos. Hopefully, they'll try again on your behalf. Best of luck and if it doesn't work out, I'm sure you'll have a nice cruise just the same.

Archived