Log Your Exercise Progress Here

RB Bonzo

Hi, Sheila -

when you do a run like that, your body's going to hang onto fluids for a bit - you've also probably put on some muscle mass. If you don't show a loss this week, look for a biggie next week!!

This morning I started day one of week 2 of the Couch to 5k plan - 5 minute warmup walk, 6 intervals of 90 second run/120 second brisk walk, 5 minute cool down. I took a course that had me do run #5 up a hill. That one got me going!!

My left knee had bothered me last night when I worked on the eliptical, but it was fine during the run. DW skipped the gym last night and wants to go today; I'll join her and see how things feel on the eliptical. I'm also going to try to get a 3 mile walk in at lunchtime at work today.

looks like this is becoming the Sheila & RB show - -

I find that it helps me to make sure I have something to track every day.

Today was a tough day - had to get to work early and did not have a break. When I got home, DW & kids wanted to go out for dinner and a movie, and it was already 6:30, so no time to do anything first. I'm at the point where I just don't feel right when I don't get at least some exercise in.

I managed to do a few flights of stairs - up and down 4 stories a few times. Then, after we got the movie tickets (The Simpsons Movie, which I did not like much, although I've always liked the show), it was 45 minutes until the show. I asked them to save me a seat while I walked 35 minutes around the parking lot.

Something is better than nothing. Yesterday I ran 5 miles, and did 40 min. weight training. Today is my rest day. Tommorow I only have a 8 mile long run. It is so funny to say only 8, but compared to others it is short.Next week will be 18, I am not to frightened by it anymore.

finished week 2 of C25K this morning and felt very good. I'm looking forward to starting to get into longer runs. Will do weights and eliptical this afternoon. This will be the first time in the weight room for a while. My weight was WAY down this morning, and I think that a lot of that is because of the decrease in exercising. Mostly loss of retained fluids that body keeps to help muscles heal, etc. Time to get back to that.

I had surgery this past week, so no exercise for me for 6-8 weeks (I am fine otherwise)

so I am enjoying my exercise through you 2 so keep up the good work!

I am going to have to sit out the chicago marathon this year but I am running the Disney World marathon in January so I will be back to training as soon as possible

keep up the good work you two!

nancy

Nancy are you going to do the Goofy Challenge at Disney. One of my clients does it every year, i dont think i could do it. 1/2 marathon 1 day and a full the next,i think it is very goofy.

Just found this. My cruise is in February and I just started exercising yesterday. I have been eating better for a month or so now.

I only did 15 minutes on the elliptical yesterday but it was 15 minutes more than the day before :)

I plan on hitting the elliptical again on the way home from work and up it to 20 minutes if I can. I also have a total gym at home so I am gonna start back using that tonight. My goal is to use that at least 4 times a week.

I tried the couch potato to 5K program but running made my knees hurt so bad that the doctor suggested I try to lose at least 10 pounds first before running.

sam:

i am signed up to do goofy's challenge in january, but with three months off from running, i am not sure i will be able to get in enough training miles before january-i will have to see when i start running again-but the option is there-if not i will run the marathon

i think it is goofy too, but the medals are cute so i figured why not?

nancy

Yesterday was a rest day. This morning I started week 3 of C25K. 90 second run/90 second walk; 3 min run/3 min walk; repeat. I did the last 3 minute run going up a hill at a faster pace. Was pretty tired at the end, but I did manage to get to the top of the hill and ran the whole distance, even though the last 60 seconds were considerably slower!

Here's my big news: a friend talked me into signing up for a half-marathon in mid-October. I plan to continue train by finishing the C25k, which will have me running 3 miles in another 6 weeks. At that point, I'll be running 12 miles/week and will have another 4 weeks until the race. I'll increase weekly mileage to 13.5, 15, and 16.5 for the next 3 weeks - roughly 10% a week. Throughout all of this, I'll also do at least one very long walk each week on a non-running day. I've been doing 5-7 mile walks very regularly already, and I'll pick it up from there.

The week before the race, I'll ease up on the running. On race day, I'll try to do a 3 minute run/1 minute walk pace - but I'll walk as much as necessary. I figure that way, I won't get hurt and will be in a position to finish in under 3 hours, which is the maximum time allowed before they tell me to move to the sidewalks and continue at my own risk.

Nancy - thanks for checking in. I hadn't heard of Goofy's challenge, but would like to try that some day. January's a tough time for us to get away, but I could see doing that after the kids are away. Funny how I fully expect to be in better shape when I am 50 years old than I am today at 45.

Gemsm - the first step in starting to run is to walk. If the knees hurt, then listen to the doctor. But, if you can walk without pain, start doing that - brisk walking. And, you'll lose 10 lbs by doing that and watching what you eat. Good luck

RB good luck on the half marathon training. You can do it. My friend that I have been training with for my marathon told me last night she was not going to do it. She has M.S. and her body is just not recovering from these long runs. She is beating herself up about it. I told her she should be proud of how far she came. So now i face the rest of the training by myself. She will still run with me durring the week on shorter runs but i have to face thos long ones alone. I can do it. That is what i am going to have to keep telling myself. I am come too far to back down now.

Gemsm - the first step in starting to run is to walk. If the knees hurt, then listen to the doctor. But, if you can walk without pain, start doing that - brisk walking. And, you'll lose 10 lbs by doing that and watching what you eat. Good luck

Hey RB...I am actually doing the elliptical right now -- No Impact on the knees. My goal (from the 10% thread) right now is 20 pounds but I am hoping after 10 I can try the running again.

I only managed 15 minutes last night instead of the 20 I wanted to do but I will push for the 20 again tonight.

RB good luck on the half marathon training. You can do it. My friend that I have been training with for my marathon told me last night she was not going to do it. She has M.S. and her body is just not recovering from these long runs. She is beating herself up about it. I told her she should be proud of how far she came. So now i face the rest of the training by myself. She will still run with me durring the week on shorter runs but i have to face thos long ones alone. I can do it. That is what i am going to have to keep telling myself. I am come too far to back down now.

You should check to see if there are any running clubs in your area (if you haven't already)...We have 2 in our area that provide training runs 2 times a week and give you a chance to find running partners on par with your skill level.

We have 1 here. maybe i will look into it. I actually only have 3 more major long runs to do,18, 20, and 22. You should definatley try running again. I understand what you mean about your knees. I went through the same thing. it gets better.The eliptical is a great work out also. Do you do any weight training. I do lots of cardio but i also spend about 40 min. a day on weight traing. It make a difference.I used to wory thet i would bulk up but, i haven't. The more muscle you have the more fat you will burn throughout the day.

sam:

i actually trained for the chicago marathon alone and found it tough but definately do-able and you are so far into the training at this point that you can do it! I found that the Ipod helped pass the time of the long training runs.

good luck! keep running!

nancy

Gemsm: eliptical is great for cardio, but I don't know if it is good training for running. In order to get into shape for running, you need to get your legs in shape - muscles, joints, ligaments, etc. Walking will set a better foundation for that than eliptical training. I would suggest that you do both.

Also, thanks for the suggestion re a running club. There is a running club here that has training runs for this event, but I am getting into the game too late to join them - they are already beyond where I expect to be at race time.

RB:

congrats on your first 1/2 marathon-warning...they are addictive!

your training plan sounds good and you are too late to join a group-but see if the race itself has pacing groups for the day of the race (You can check at the pre race expo) and join a run/walk group at your pace for race day-it makes it a lot easier

there is no better feeling then crossing the finish line and getting that medal!

remember to enjoy the race too!

nancy

Gemsm: eliptical is great for cardio, but I don't know if it is good training for running. In order to get into shape for running, you need to get your legs in shape - muscles, joints, ligaments, etc. Walking will set a better foundation for that than eliptical training. I would suggest that you do both.

Also, thanks for the suggestion re a running club. There is a running club here that has training runs for this event, but I am getting into the game too late to join them - they are already beyond where I expect to be at race time.

Guess I better start doing a bit of both then. The eliptical will also help me get the weight down some which will help for the impact of running :)

As for the running clubs...The ones in my area have different pace/length training runs so if you aren't quite up to par you can do a shorter run. They mostly provide support, motivation, and water :)

RB:

congrats on your first 1/2 marathon-warning...they are addictive!

your training plan sounds good and you are too late to join a group-but see if the race itself has pacing groups for the day of the race (You can check at the pre race expo) and join a run/walk group at your pace for race day-it makes it a lot easier

there is no better feeling then crossing the finish line and getting that medal!

remember to enjoy the race too!

nancy

Great idea! Thanks!

On another board, someone suggested that I do some longer distances of running/walking as I train, and I'll be trying that.

I remember you writing before about how you had to finish a long run by yourself - you did well on that one. I am sorry that your running buddy had to drop out. But, you are right - you CAN do it. Based upon your descriptions of your long runs, it sounds like you are well prepared. I'm reading "Marathoning for Mortals" right now - very good stuff. Do you read Bingham's stuff?

Archived