Cancelling Grand Cayman

Irish708

It seems from various posts that I've read that this port is cancelled many times due to the weather. I understand it is a tender port, but is rain alone cause for the ships to bypass ? What is the criteria for ships to cancel ? Many of the posts report missing this port and not during a hurricane warning /watch.

Thanks!

We were there for a week this past January and on a Friday, a storm blew in. The waves were really high (although it didn't rain). The water was lapping all the way across the steet. The ships that were in port that day, all booked out around 3:00 that day. The ship the next day had to tender in from a spot on the other side of the island (which isn't far from George Town).

I don't think it's so much the rain, but the waves. The day we were there on our cruise (a few years ago on New Year's Day), it was really, really choppy and I was surprised that we were able to tender in. It was hard to get on the tender, but by the time we came back, things had settled down a lot.

primarily GC gets canx'd as a port because the waves make it too dangerous to safety operate tenders. People hopping from the tender to the ship is a potentially dangerous situation under any circumstances. As noted CG has started tendering options from the south side of the island ... this is a fairly recent addition and may make canx's a bit less frequent.

but there's a little more too

If a ship decided they can't go to GC a full day b4, the line can try to reschedule for Cozumel. I've had that happen twice and in my experience people feel 'less wronged' if they get a different port as compared to a day at sea, aka no port. Still wronged, but less wronged {despite the wording in the contract that says this is 100% within the terms of the ticket.} If they sail to CG, and the wind and waves are not conducive to tendering, there's no place else to go to that day....ya gots to decide earlier than that.

So the Captain may make this decision "way early" in your opinion .... 'tis a gamble.

The percentage of missed cruise calls in the summer is much less than 10% on average. In May we lost one day due to a late season cold front. In June two ships diverted because of possible Tropical Storm (Alberto). So far no lost days in July. We lose a lot more in the winter months due to cold fronts which can bring rough seas on the west side (Georgetown). Depending on the strength and direction of the wind, some ships will call at Spotts on the south side instead. This has actually been the case for many (at least 20) years. Some ships decline to stop at Spotts even when it is possible.

We were on the Conquest in GC on 7-6. It was storming as we pulled up--lightening and rain. The 8 am snorkel/stingray island, sandbar excursion was cancelled. The weather cleared up and our 10:15 trip went as scheduled. Day ended up beautiful.

The next day in Cozumel we talked to people on RCCL--can't remember which ship--a big one--- Their ship did not send people to GC on 7-6. The captain decided at 8 am that they would skip GC. The people by us were furious they missed GC when they found out the Conquest people went ashore.

Last yearwhen we were on the Elation. we were scheduled to go to Coz., Progresso, and Belize, but Hurricane Emily ripped through and we went to the Bahamas and Key West. We were told one RCCL wanted to try to go anyway and ended up sailing around the gulf with no ports.

The captain has to make a best guess to insure safety and sometimes he guesses wrong!

wow - that's interesting

My first GC visit was in 1982 - and since then a bunch of dive trips, cruises and 'official visits' .... I've never seen the south side used for tendering and only recently heard about it....

Altho the sat' pics on Google Maps - which certainly are not updated often - sure show it.

Ya learn something every day ....

But as a Captain, I can tell ya that transfering people from a small boat to a ship at sea is never never taken lightly. It is a dangerous situation that requires a very attentive risk assessment. You want us to defer to the safe side..... Last year, harbor pilots that do this every day .... I can think of two fatal accidents off the top of my head.

Out of 3 different cruises that we have been on that were going to GC, only 1 didnt make it.. Of course it happened to be the time when our kids were with us and we really wanted them to experience the stingrays.. We are headed back there in October.. Cant wait as this is one of our favorite ports

Its really hard to understand how dangerous it can be to transfer from ship to tender or tender to ship during rough waters or even the waves made by the tender coming up to the ship. They have always been good about 2 crew members standing there to help you over the plank to each boat, however, a gentlemen with cane slipped and fell while taking the short plank over to the ship, but got real fortunate that the crew caught him before going any further. Belize and Grand Cayman were our roughest tenders to get on and off.

Its really hard to understand how dangerous it can be to transfer from ship to tender or tender to ship during rough waters or even the waves made by the tender coming up to the ship. They have always been good about 2 crew members standing there to help you over the plank to each boat, however, a gentlemen with cane slipped and fell while taking the short plank over to the ship, but got real fortunate that the crew caught him before going any further. Belize and Grand Cayman were our roughest tenders to get on and off.

I think that sometimes they make the decision to go ahead and tender in when they shouldn't. Last we went to GC, the seas were very rough. They would let a tender or two go. Then stop for a while until the waves "settled down" (ha!), then call the next group. When it was our turn, the tender was banging really hard against the ship...they would stop you...then yell go! go! go! Pretty scarey. Probably should have stayed on the ship. When we returned to the ship, the waves were a little worse. You tried to stand to get off the tender, then it would slam the ship knocking you back down! When it was time for my boyfriend and I to go, the ship slammed again, and he fell on my arm which was holding on to the seat in front of me! Man, did that hurt! Didn't break it though....I do think they need to be more careful when making the decision to tender.

Archived