Insurance Question "Pre-Existing"

magnumcoog

I am a bit confused on the term pre-existing that is shown on the various insurance policies. Some have 60 days, 90 days, and 180 days shown as pre-existing. Which policy would be better higher days or lower days?

I am out of the window for making the initial cruise payment, and I do have more than 180 days until the sail date.

Thanks in advance.

I am a bit confused on the term pre-existing that is shown on the various insurance policies. Some have 60 days, 90 days, and 180 days shown as pre-existing. Which policy would be better higher days or lower days?

I am out of the window for making the initial cruise payment, and I do have more than 180 days until the sail date.

Thanks in advance.

I believe that pre existing means pre existing to purchasing the policy.....not pre existing to your cruise date......and therefore higher would be better.

B/c policies differ as to this meaning, we always purchase the "any reason" cancellation insurance. Yes, it's more expensive, but with our work, pets, etc., we need as much flexibility as possible. And you don't have to worry about a pre-existing condition exclusion.

Thanks in advance.

That means the look back dates for any condition that may arise. If their policy is 180 - that means they look back 180 days to see if you ever went to a doctor for this condition you are claiming. So...you want the lowest one if you have any preexisting conditions or take meds for anything. Also most waive the prexisting clause in its entirety as long as you buy their policy within their specified time frame which is generally 7-14 days.

That means the look back dates for any condition that may arise. If their policy is 180 - that means they look back 180 days to see if you ever went to a doctor for this condition you are claiming. So...you want the lowest one if you have any preexisting conditions or take meds for anything. Also most waive the prexisting clause in its entirety as long as you buy their policy within their specified time frame which is generally 7-14 days.

This is my interpretation also.

Look carefully at the fine print. Often, if you go to the doctor and he doesn't change your meds, then there isn't a issue but if he does - this is when the fine print is important.

B/c policies differ as to this meaning, we always purchase the "any reason" cancellation insurance. Yes, it's more expensive, but with our work, pets, etc., we need as much flexibility as possible. And you don't have to worry about a pre-existing condition exclusion.

SingerEsq,

and that includes pre-existing???? Please tell me what company, etc. offers this??

Thank you!

Now after reading cruiseco's link I really have a question, perhaps I was misinformed by the agent I spoke with....I would like to puchase a travelex travelite plan as it seems the only one that offers coverage as "primary" that is very reasonably priced. I have booked my next cruise now 3 days ago (July 24) so am within the prexistinng waiver period for the plan. However, when I spoke with the agent on the phone I was informed that since I had a "follow up" surgeon visit on May 30, which is within the 90 day period for pre-existing, this would be considered as a preexisiting condition should something surgical come up between now and my next cruise. Now my surgery was in Feb and this was a routine follow up, no med change or anything, just routine. Now after reading this explanation from cruiseco's link I would think the whole 90 day pre-existing should be waived if I purchased the policy today, does that sound right? or do I totally not understand this? If anyone can help, I would be greatly appreciative as I need to purchase something soon and not sure what, the agent even went so far as suggesting if I cancel and rebook my cruise in a couple more weeks the 90 days from my last appointment would be past and then this would be a nonissue? I have no idea now what to think, perhaps I will try calling again and see if I get a different answer?Thank you for your anticipated responses.

The cruise lines do.

When I called and asked princess they told me that their cancel for anything was for anything other than medical and that they do not have any provisions in their policies for cancelling for medical reasons, preexisiting or not.

Rule #1 when considering the cruise line's plan -- DO NOT EVER rely on anything the person at the cruise line tells you. They are incorrect way more often than not.

Call the cruise line and get the phone number for the help line at the insurer (almost always BerkleyCare). They will be able to give you accurate information.

The Princess plan does, of course, have provisions for cancelling your cruise for medical reasons.

However, they do not specifically cover pre-existing conditions. If a person has to cancel for a pre-existing condition then they would have to do so under the "cancel for any reason" provision and have either 75% of 90% of their penalties covered (depending on the level of coverage they purchased).

Now after reading cruiseco's link I really have a question, perhaps I was misinformed by the agent I spoke with....I would like to puchase a travelex travelite plan as it seems the only one that offers coverage as "primary" that is very reasonably priced. I have booked my next cruise now 3 days ago (July 24) so am within the prexistinng waiver period for the plan. However, when I spoke with the agent on the phone I was informed that since I had a "follow up" surgeon visit on May 30, which is within the 90 day period for pre-existing, this would be considered as a preexisiting condition should something surgical come up between now and my next cruise. Now my surgery was in Feb and this was a routine follow up, no med change or anything, just routine. Now after reading this explanation from cruiseco's link I would think the whole 90 day pre-existing should be waived if I purchased the policy today, does that sound right? or do I totally not understand this? If anyone can help, I would be greatly appreciative as I need to purchase something soon and not sure what, the agent even went so far as suggesting if I cancel and rebook my cruise in a couple more weeks the 90 days from my last appointment would be past and then this would be a nonissue? I have no idea now what to think, perhaps I will try calling again and see if I get a different answer?Thank you for your anticipated responses.

Actually, this makes total sense to me. If you have any medical condition that warrants a doctors visit within that 90 day period, that would be considered a pre-existing condition. Your follow up visit the end of May would fall within that time frame so would throw you into that category for pre-existing conditions. Their suggestion I totally understand about cancelling now and rebooking to make sure you are covered. No other way around this at all. Sorry! :(

If you're purchasing the plan and meeting all of the requirements for their waiver of the pre-existing condition exclusion (buy witin 21 days of the initial deposit date, cover all of your non-refundable arrangements, etc) then it doesn't make any difference whether or not that follow-up visit has an effect on your situation.

That's what the waiver does -- even if the follow-up visit means the surgery is now back to being considered pre-existing they'll cover you anyway if the problem flares up and you have to cancel.

Toto2Kansas,

Dont you think the whole issue is moot if I purchase within their 21 day designated period for the waiver condition?

I just called travelex again and got a different answer, they did tell me this time if I purchased the policy now, since down payment was 3 days ago, the pre-existing thing would be waived. Meaing my dr appointment date wouldnt even matter. Now I dont know what to believe, the first person or the second. Of course I like the second answer better :)

When I called and asked princess they told me that their cancel for anything was for anything other than medical and that they do not have any provisions in their policies for cancelling for medical reasons, preexisiting or not.

I have no idea what they are talking about

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na576&submit=pk

has the insured cancellation section which mentions medical. As others say...never rely completely on CS answers. Its like the guy who came on last week and said he worked in the cruises accounting dept. He didn't know a debit from an credit....

Cruiseco, that is what I thought after reading your link and that is what "today's" agent told me, How can I actually know what is right when you get different answers from different agents. Thank you for your link I am now going to purchase the policy while I am still within the 21 day waiver period. Now onemore question if you dont mind, is it true, that is what agent told me, I can add on our airfarelater since I have not yet booked/purchased it? I was told it can be added on as long as it is added on within 21 days of purchase.

SingerEsq,

and that includes pre-existing???? Please tell me what company, etc. offers this??

Thank you!

"Princess Travel Care and Princess Travel Care Gold also offers unique flexibility that many other programs lack. If you have to cancel your cruise for a non-insured reason - any reason at all - you'll receive from Princess Cruises a future cruise credit equal to 75% (90% with Princess Travel Care Gold) of the normally non-refundable cancellation fees. Our Princess Travel Care plans provide coverage for most medical expenses while away from home including emergency evacuation should illness or injury occur during your trip."

As another poster said, you have to read the fine print from the CONTRACT of the company you are chosing. I've never done a price comparison, but when we're on Princess, we've gone with Travel Care Gold.

Now onemore question if you dont mind, is it true, that is what agent told me, I can add on our airfarelater since I have not yet booked/purchased it? I was told it can be added on as long as it is added on within 21 days of purchase.

There's two scenarios:

#1 You DO need coverage for pre-existing medical conditions

Since the pre-existing condition waiver is only in effect if ALL non-refundable trip arrangements are insured, if at a leter date you purchase a non-refundable air ticket you must insure it to keep the waiver going. And, you must also insure the tuicket within 21 days of purchasing it. If you're buying a fully refundable ticket don't insure it.

#2 You DON'T need coverage for pre-existing conditions

You can choose to insure the air ticket or not and if you do you can do it at any time up until the day prior to your departure. A new policy does not need to be purchased, the existing policy will be modified for the changes. This way you don't have to pay that processing fee again.

Be careful about one thing. Many air tickets are non-refundable but can be chenged to a future flight if you cancel this trip. So many travelers elect to not insure the value of the ticket, thinking they will save on the insurance premium. Thats perfectly OK if you don't need the pre-existing condition coverage. But since Travelex requires that ALL non-refundable tickets be insured to get the pre-ex waiver you must insure them to keep the waiver in effect.

Cruiseco,

Thank you so much for your posts, they have been VERY helpful to me. I have opted to purchase the travelex plan with the pre-existing waiver since I have just booked and will add in my airfare later once booking it. I thank you tremendously because if I didnt read your link, I would not have called back the agency and gotten the correct answer after I was given misinformation the other day. I wanted the travelex plan because it was the only one I could find with such a resaonable price that could act as pimary for medical should the need arise. Until today I was unsure what to do about the whole thing so I thank you very, very, much, one less thing to worry about.

There's two scenarios:

#1 You DO need coverage for pre-existing medical conditions

Since the pre-existing condition waiver is only in effect if ALL non-refundable trip arrangements are insured, if at a leter date you purchase a non-refundable air ticket you must insure it to keep the waiver going. And, you must also insure the tuicket within 21 days of purchasing it. If you're buying a fully refundable ticket don't insure it.

#2 You DON'T need coverage for pre-existing conditions

You can choose to insure the air ticket or not and if you do you can do it at any time up until the day prior to your departure. A new policy does not need to be purchased, the existing policy will be modified for the changes. This way you don't have to pay that processing fee again.

Be careful about one thing. Many air tickets are non-refundable but can be chenged to a future flight if you cancel this trip. So many travelers elect to not insure the value of the ticket, thinking they will save on the insurance premium. Thats perfectly OK if you don't need the pre-existing condition coverage. But since Travelex requires that ALL non-refundable tickets be insured to get the pre-ex waiver you must insure them to keep the waiver in effect.

How do you 'value' Frequent Flyer Air Tickets ?- (only pay $$ for Taxes) - Usually mileage is 'refundable' w/ Fees for 're-deposit'? or in some airlines - miles cannot be re-deposited ?

I usually just leave out the AIR (value etc.) from the Trip Cost........

How do you 'value' Frequent Flyer Air Tickets ?- (only pay $$ for Taxes) - Usually mileage is 'refundable' w/ Fees for 're-deposit'? or in some airlines - miles cannot be re-deposited ?

I usually just leave out the AIR (value etc.) from the Trip Cost........

Any trip arrangements obtained with FF miles, credit card points, or similar vouchers can not be insured for trip cancellation by any third-party insurer I'm aware of. The insurers figure them to have no value. But be sure to cover the travel dates that you're using the tickets on so you will have the other plans benefits (trip delay, baggage delay/loss, etc) for the flights.

It's very unclear about covering the fees to re-deposit the miles back into your FF account in the case of a cancellation. Since most insurers will only cover PRE-PAID expenses and these fees would obviously not be pre-paid you probably won't be covered for them. But I've seen stranger things happen.

Toto2Kansas,

Dont you think the whole issue is moot if I purchase within their 21 day designated period for the waiver condition?

I just called travelex again and got a different answer, they did tell me this time if I purchased the policy now, since down payment was 3 days ago, the pre-existing thing would be waived. Meaing my dr appointment date wouldnt even matter. Now I dont know what to believe, the first person or the second. Of course I like the second answer better :)

On the companies, you are interested in, pull up a sample contract and read the fine print. Like I said earlier, as long as it says the pre-existing condition is waived as long as you purchase their policy within their time frame after you book your cruise there is no look back period.

The cancel for any reason is only offered by 2 companies and also includes everything else the others include with the addition of this. Just look it up at tripinsurancestore.com and it is all explained. You don't get it all back, you get 75% back for any reason. With a medical reason, most want a written doctors note. Good luck getting the doctor to write one which is why we just saw and started taking the 75 percent back which will be less hassle show we need to cancel.

Also, make sure you look at their "alert" list of travel operators they will not cover due to bankruptcy. Not all have the list but best to stay away from Delta and Northwest Airlines since most don't cover them should they dissolve before your trip.

Archived