Insurance Question "Pre-Existing"

magnumcoog

CruisinAgain,

My biggest concern is medical reasons, if we cancel it would be for something like that, nothing else. I have never had to cancel ever but there are always medical things in my family that concern me if they come up and I wouldnt want to have to face the choice of traveling sick or losing our money. I have never had to make a claim for anything yet either, just want to be totally covered if we do. In the past I have just purchased whatever TA sold, at time of booking, not giving it another thought thinking we are vcovered for whatever under the pre-existing waiver, until I read many of the threads here on cruise critic, boy was I surprised to learn what I did not know. Now, thankfully I am much better informed and am able to make the most appropriate decision that fits my family's needs. I am sure everyone looks for different things in a policy but the travelex appears to be best suited for my needs at this time. Again I am thankful to everyone here for all of their knowledge and advice.

Oh and about the dr note thing, if we did need to cancel for a medical reason it would be a serious thing that I feel confident that either of our doctors would have no problem writing us a note about given our history with them.

The cancel for any reason is only offered by 2 companies and also includes everything else the others include with the addition of this. Just look it up at tripinsurancestore.com and it is all explained. You don't get it all back, you get 75% back for any reason. With a medical reason, most want a written doctors note. Good luck getting the doctor to write one which is why we just saw and started taking the 75 percent back which will be less hassle show we need to cancel.

Just to be clear, with the plans that do have the "cancel for any reason" (CAR) benefit, if you do cancel for a covered reason (break your leg the day before leaving) you would be reimbursed 100% The 75% only applies if the CAR benefit is invoked.

If I was cancelling a trip with $2000 in penalties I would surely take the time to get the doctor's note and get a 100% reimbursement rather than kissing off $500 by using the CAR benefit. But that's just me.

Just to be clear, with the plans that do have the "cancel for any reason" (CAR) benefit, if you do cancel for a covered reason (break your leg the day before leaving) you would be reimbursed 100% The 75% only applies if the CAR benefit is invoked.

If I was cancelling a trip with $2000 in penalties I would surely take the time to get the doctor's note and get a 100% reimbursement rather than kissing off $500 by using the CAR benefit. But that's just me.

Indeed....I also said that in one of my posts that the cancel for any reason offers both reasons. But say for instance someone in the family has a terminal illness and not cruising and say they are stable right now but when its time for you to cruise they are not feeling good and but not bad enough to be in hospital yet but you should stay home just in case - now a doctor is not going to write an excuse for this but cancel for any reason would come into play. I am sure there are quite a few people with these scenarios playing out.

Also I don't think breaking your leg would be a reason to the insurance company to cancel according to their fine print. That would be a good reason to the cruiser and very disappointing but it isn't life threatening as the insurance companies call it. Read their policies and fine print and pick it apart because they will.

How do you 'value' Frequent Flyer Air Tickets ?- (only pay $$ for Taxes) - Usually mileage is 'refundable' w/ Fees for 're-deposit'? or in some airlines - miles cannot be re-deposited ?

I usually just leave out the AIR (value etc.) from the Trip Cost........

Renee - I usually include just what I pay for the FF tickets. The last time I used them, it was $15. The reason I include this is incase my flight gets delayed, my luggage gets lost, I miss the ship, etc. . I want to say that I included the cost of my FF miles in with the cost of insurance so that it would be covered".

I may be wrong in assuming that it works like that but that is why I do it that way. And adding $15 isn't going to increase the value of the insurance by more than a dollar or so.

Archived