Ok .. Now don't Yell but I need to know

KLLund

I'm not sure why you quoted my reply, I was simply agreeing with what someone said about "dress codes" and jeans but that would also apply to other articles of clothing like shorts, sneakers, etc, and also to locations/venus i.e,, resto, club, cruise, resort, whatever/wherever.

Side note (Oh my Lord. I'm about to cry, I literally just spent about 20 minutes typing up a really nice complimentary discussion and response to you on my other thread, and literally hit the wrong button and lost the whole thing. Waaaa.:()

And, I was just quoting you, because I was just wanting to clarify and respond to everyone about sticking to the "dress codes". I always stick to the dress codes, there were a lot of people who responded in and around what I wanted to respond to, but your's was just the clearest and most concise. So I quoted that.:) (Backhanded compliment I guess on your writing skills). And agreeing with you (and who you're all agreeing with) about sticking to the dress code.

But since you quoted me, I'll quote you and reply to the following statement that you wrote

Oh no! Retaliation! (and bear in mind I'm totally kidding here, I really like your posts and am looking forward to debating fashion with you).

While you may look, hot like a rock and roll hollywood type of guy I would say that the person in the $75 sears suit may just be "higher classy" because at least that person is/was trying hard to fit in and abide by rules and respecting his enviroment, and not makeing it about showing off his "designer duds", which anyone who can afford to own them does not give a hoot if someone else has the same, and anyone who can't probably wouldn't know how much it costs anyway, class is not about money, it's about behavior and attitude, and respect, at least that is my opinion.

What I was saying in the first place is actually totally agreeing with you.

First of all, I was just using random numbers, and saying that if you are going to wear jeans (on cruises where jeans are acceptable) to pair it with something nicer to balance it out (just like people upthread said for women to do, I was saying that for men).

What I was trying to say is yes, to make more of an effort to dress up the jeans because making the extra effort is respecting the environment (again, we were talking about a "jeans allowed" cruise).

And it was not meant to be a $ or show off thing, it's meant to be a who put effort into respecting the environment thing. I mean I have a really fantastic vintage jacket that I got in a thrift store for $1. Just like nobody knows or cares that my Hugo Boss jacket cost $800, nobody knows or cares that my thrift shop jacket cost $1. They both just happen to look nice.

My question to you is if you don't own a $75 sears suit, how would you know what one looks like and that it is "lower classy"? No slings or arrows, still trying to figure out why you quoted me.

And again, that was my point in agreeing with you. I was talking about those times I have seen on cruises where people are obviously not caring and putting effort into the dress code and respecting the environment.

What I was meaning to express was that I respect the dress code and environment SO much, that on a casual jeans allowed night, I will try and make it a little nicer by pairing it with something a little dressier.

Sears suit was referring to: I've been on formal nights on cruises where people are wearing some obviously thrown together jacket with no ties, therefore totally disregarding the dress code.

Meaning that dressing a little nicer on jeans night is classier than dressing down and not respecting formal night.

And again, I quoted you because you had a clearly written quote for me to quote from.:D

CJW

Wow I'm unintentionally giving a lot of you ladies a lot of discussion fodder!:eek:

Want to hear some ancient history about dress codes?

In the late 1960's my university would not allow women to wear either shorts or slacks to class. If you had a gym class on the other side of campus and shorts were required for it, if there was no time to change between classes, you had to wear a skirt over your shorts. Men could wear shorts to class.

The standard punishment for breaking the code was no date night that week. Early on, I got married to the world's most wonderful man and obviously, I lived with my husband. They couldn't take away our date night. Another punishment was probation for those with grades that were iffy, but mine were not iffy.

So in my senior year, I got together with other married women, those with excellent grades, and we approached each and every one of our professors and asked permission to wear slacks to class. They all agreed that the time had come to allow slacks...not jeans yet, but pants. The powers that be could not figure out a way to punish us.

When summer came and the buildings were absolutely sweltering, we asked permission to wear tasteful shorts and all of the professors said yes.

Thus was my university's dress code amended. Sometimes I look at girls on the same campus and I'm pretty shocked at what they wear to class, but I guess I reap what I sow.

So how this relates to cruising is that I think I like getting dressed up for the evening, even if it's casual night. Showering, putting on a classy outfit, just makes it more special somehow. If they encouraged us to wear what we'd worn in the daytime, there'd be no glow to the dining room experience.

I do think an outit like the OP described should certainly be nice enough for a casual night, but I kind of worry about the slippery slope.

Cat's Slave... funny perspective! When I was in a private Catholic school( enough said) and many many years ago I might add, we had to go to school in uniforms of course, then it got changed to black skirts and white blouses from our "Own wardrobe". I think they were trying to turn us all into nuns. Anyway, after the no uniforms(at least official ones) we went to school each morning and literally had to kneel down and if the hems of our shirts did not touch the floor, you guessed it they unhemmed them with their scissors of if it could not be done ..we were sent home. Needless to say we all learned to roll the shirts on the top and unroll them at the right time. But I hate skirts period! But love dressing formal when it is called for and love classic semi-formal attire. It's just part of the cruise experience for me now and of course feeling good about how you look! And it defitely makes the dining experience and the ambience that much better!

Side note (Oh my Lord. I'm about to cry, I literally just spent about 20 minutes typing up a really nice complimentary discussion and response to you on my other thread, and literally hit the wrong button and lost the whole thing. Waaaa.:()

And, I was just quoting you, because I was just wanting to clarify and respond to everyone about sticking to the "dress codes". I always stick to the dress codes, there were a lot of people who responded in and around what I wanted to respond to, but your's was just the clearest and most concise. So I quoted that.:) (Backhanded compliment I guess on your writing skills). And agreeing with you (and who you're all agreeing with) about sticking to the dress code.

Oh no! Retaliation! (and bear in mind I'm totally kidding here, I really like your posts and am looking forward to debating fashion with you).

What I was saying in the first place is actually totally agreeing with you.

First of all, I was just using random numbers, and saying that if you are going to wear jeans (on cruises where jeans are acceptable) to pair it with something nicer to balance it out (just like people upthread said for women to do, I was saying that for men).

What I was trying to say is yes, to make more of an effort to dress up the jeans because making the extra effort is respecting the environment (again, we were talking about a "jeans allowed" cruise).

And it was not meant to be a $ or show off thing, it's meant to be a who put effort into respecting the environment thing. I mean I have a really fantastic vintage jacket that I got in a thrift store for $1. Just like nobody knows or cares that my Hugo Boss jacket cost $800, nobody knows or cares that my thrift shop jacket cost $1. They both just happen to look nice.

And again, that was my point in agreeing with you. I was talking about those times I have seen on cruises where people are obviously not caring and putting effort into the dress code and respecting the environment.

What I was meaning to express was that I respect the dress code and environment SO much, that on a casual jeans allowed night, I will try and make it a little nicer by pairing it with something a little dressier.

Sears suit was referring to: I've been on formal nights on cruises where people are wearing some obviously thrown together jacket with no ties, therefore totally disregarding the dress code.

Meaning that dressing a little nicer on jeans night is classier than dressing down and not respecting formal night.

And again, I quoted you because you had a clearly written quote for me to quote from.:D

CJW

Wow I'm unintentionally giving a lot of you ladies a lot of discussion fodder!:eek:

No harm no foul? All I can say is great spin:) no problems.

Want to hear some ancient history about dress codes?

In the late 1960's my university would not allow women to wear either shorts or slacks to class. If you had a gym class on the other side of campus and shorts were required for it' date=' if there was no time to change between classes, you had to wear a skirt over your shorts. Men could wear shorts to class.

The standard punishment for breaking the code was no date night that week. Early on, I got married to the world's most wonderful man and obviously, I lived with my husband. They couldn't take away our date night. Another punishment was probation for those with grades that were iffy, but mine were not iffy.

So in my senior year, I got together with other married women, those with excellent grades, and we approached each and every one of our professors and asked permission to wear slacks to class. They all agreed that the time had come to allow slacks...not jeans yet, but pants. The powers that be could not figure out a way to punish us.

When summer came and the buildings were absolutely sweltering, we asked permission to wear tasteful shorts and all of the professors said yes.

Thus was my university's dress code amended. Sometimes I look at girls on the same campus and I'm pretty shocked at what they wear to class, but I guess I reap what I sow.

So how this relates to cruising is that I think I like getting dressed up for the evening, even if it's casual night. Showering, putting on a classy outfit, just makes it more special somehow. If they encouraged us to wear what we'd worn in the daytime, there'd be no glow to the dining room experience.

I do think an outit like the OP described should certainly be nice enough for a casual night, but I kind of worry about the slippery slope.[/quote']

Thank you for sharing that, I really enjoyed reading that stroy, you were a pioneer and made a difference. You have a place in history at your university (I'm being very sincere in this) and you should be proud of yourself. Congrats:)

Thank you Mrs. Moose. I felt like a pioneer and truthfully, I was a little scared. I wondered if the administration could punish us in ways we couldn't forsee. My husband and I put ourselves through three college degrees and I would not have put mine in jeopardy.

Just to clarify, I always adhere to the dress code.

Code for code, I adhere, I just happen to be very creative within the specific code.

I was just automatically thinking that the OP was referring to a ship where jeans were allowed in the dining room.

I know! I totally overpaid for my Levi's! I hate that!;) :D

CJW

Laugh if you want-about overpaid Levi's-there is a store in my local mall-Abercrombie and Fitch-they sell these jeans that have been left in bleach and are full of holes and they are well over a $100. The sales clerk in the store was wearing a pair and she had a hole at the bottom of her butt with bare skin hanging out-I hope she was wearing thongs???????

Now I have no idea the brand-I was in there with my daughter-( this store is mid priced so I would not think they would carry Seven's)-my thought was-go to Sears, buy the $35 Levis, a gallon of clorox for a $1.99, and save $100!!!

Let's face it-these jeans weren't as good as a pair of Levi's- as far as I am concerned-so I would call them overpriced Levi's!!!!!

No harm no foul? All I can say is great spin:) no problems.

Deal or no Deal?

DEAL!:D

I felt like a pioneer and truthfully' date=' I was a little scared. I wondered if the administration could punish us in ways we couldn't forsee. My husband and I put ourselves through three college degrees and I would not have put mine in jeopardy.[/quote']

Yes, thank you for sharing that story.

Needless to say we all learned to roll the shirts on the top and unroll them at the right time.

This cracks me up! Ingenuity at it's finest!

Now I have no idea the brand-I was in there with my daughter-( this store is mid priced so I would not think they would carry Seven's)-my thought was-go to Sears, buy the $35 Levis, a gallon of clorox for a $1.99, and save $100!!!

I'm totally there with ya! Any of my "distressed" jeans, were "created" the old-fashioned way. Wearing them and working in them.:D

Distress happens all by itself. Voila!

CJW

Deal or no Deal?

DEAL!:D

Yes, thank you for sharing that story.

This cracks me up! Ingenuity at it's finest!

I'm totally there with ya! Any of my "distressed" jeans, were "created" the old-fashioned way. Wearing them and working in them.:D

Distress happens all by itself. Voila!

CJW

and they are only good for cutting the grass, washing the car,scrubing floors etc. right? that is how I feel-but my daughter's generation loves these. Ofcourse though-most twenty year olds cannot afford Seven's-unless they are Nikki Hilton anyway-but still-why would they spend that much for holey jeans?

and they are only good for cutting the grass, washing the car,scrubing floors etc. right? that is how I feel-but my daughter's generation loves these. Ofcourse though-most twenty year olds cannot afford Seven's-unless they are Nikki Hilton anyway-but still-why would t

hey spend that much for holey jeans?

Cuz Mom they are way cool, cuz Mom they aren't holey, they are unique..cuz mom, so and so has got them..cuz mom if I don't have them I'll die.. Cuz why not?:D They all learn in their own good time.

Archived