how's the Westwood on Wilshire hotel in L.A.

lssg

Looking into staying at the Westwood on Wilshire, it use to be the double tree...has anyone stayed here before? The rate we received was really good and it seems to be in a good location. Thanks for any information you can give me.

you are very informative....I have read some of your other posts....We are planning to go to a Dodger's game on a Saturday afternoon...how far is the stadium from this hotel? We want to visit santa monica and malibu too, how far are both these places from the hotel? I have read the books you recommended, I got them from the library....very informative....thanks for all the helpful information you have posted for LA

It's always nice to be appreciated.:D

Dodger game = 20 minutes drive from your hotel with no traffic. It's mostly freeway, so on a Saturday there won't be a lot of traffic. But I'd plan for 30 to 40 minutes just to be safe.

Santa Monica = 10 to 20 minutes right down Wilshire Blvd. This is just because there are alot of street lights, so if you hit them all right you can get there in about 10, but I'd expect more like 20.

Malibu = from Santa Monica, you can get to the "start" of Malibu in about 5 to 10 minutes. But realize that Malibu is almost literally only 1 mile wide and 20 miles long (my numbers aren't right, but literally it's just all one long skinny strip up the coast).

And yeah, those books are great huh?

That's one of the things about LA as opposed to almost any other major city in the world. Instead of there being certain specific representative sights fairly close together; there are so many options spread out all over the place that you just have to pick and choose what is important to you.

CJW

PS I'll keep checking back every few days to see if you have any more questions.

In regards to Malibu....is it easy to park and walk along the beach and see the homes?.....where can you park your car and do this? I read that you have to walk along a designated area on the beach, along the waters edge or something like that?

One last question, isn't there a fashion district in LA, is that worth checking out?

I thought I read that there was great shopping there. Thanks again for all the information.

In regards to Malibu....is it easy to park and walk along the beach and see the homes?.....where can you park your car and do this? I read that you have to walk along a designated area on the beach, along the waters edge or something like that?

First of all no problem, I'll keep answering questions as long as you or anyone else has them.;)

Umm, it can be a little tricky, but you can do it. The two things are:

#1 There are a lot of private roads, so just be aware there will be signs, don't park on any of those.

#2 The beach homes are really abutted right up to PCH, so it's their private driveways and parking spaces right there, again be aware.

So, I would try two things.

First drive up to Malibu Bluffs State Park, there should be public parking there (probably for a fee, but I'm not sure). Walk down to the beach through the "park", and you should be able to walk south along the beach to see the homes. To find this, drive north on PCH and look for Malibu Canyon Road (stoplight), turn left. (The beach/ocean will be on your left).

Second option is to try to find public parking around Malibu Pier.

This will be before Malibu Bluffs. I think that there should be some kind of street or public parking for the pier, but I'm not sure. If you do this, then walk down to the beach and head north to see the homes.

There isn't a major street near this, but you'll know you're getting close when you see Las Flores Canyon, then Carbon Canyon Road, then Sweetwater Canyon Road. Again it's on your left.

One last question, isn't there a fashion district in LA, is that worth checking out?

I thought I read that there was great shopping there. Thanks again for all the information.

Are you talking about The Garment District downtown? If so, then honestly for someone out of town, I wouldn't bother or go there. It can be really tricky to navigate and easy to get lost. It's kind of like a bunch of good deals, cheap prices, but it's in dirty downtown. Downtown LA is not like nice downtown in other major cities. Nobody goes there, unless they work there, or you're going to a theater (then it's drive in, drive out), or some seedy underground nightclub. (yes, they are trying to gentrify it now, but it's a ways off from where it needs to be...)

If you really want shopping, there's better more fun LA options. Let me know more specifics on what kind of shopping you'd be looking for or wanting to do and I can guide you from there.

Just as examples more fun would be:

Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica, Melrose Avenue, The Beverly Center, Montana in Santa Monica for upscale mini-Beverly Hills, Hollywood Blvd if you want something more Rock and Roll funky, etc.

Hope this helps.

CJW

Your the man with all the answers...the garment district is out, I do like shopping and finding great deals but in a safer, clean environment. Not into shopping for junk souviners. We will have a 9 year old with us who is saving his money for the trip. We have done disney and universal in florida, so we are looking into something he may be interested in, the Tar pits maybe, but he isn't into dinosaurs anymore....thanks again ...wonderful advice and suggestions.

Your the man with all the answers...

Yeah, if we're talking LA, Hollywood, Beaches, The Valley, I do have the answers and I do know what I'm talking about. So, I'm more than happy to help anyone out.:D

the garment district is out, I do like shopping and finding great deals but in a safer, clean environment. Not into shopping for junk souviners.

Yes good! Garment District is great if you are a "local" or if you are a fashion professional, otherwise not worth it.

Just keep giving me info on what you might be into looking for on shopping, and I'll help you out there (both important in LA, what are you shopping for, and what is the shopping "experience" that you are looking for).

We will have a 9 year old with us who is saving his money for the trip. We have done disney and universal in florida, so we are looking into something he may be interested in, the Tar pits maybe, but he isn't into dinosaurs anymore....thanks again ...wonderful advice and suggestions.

Ahhh! A 9 year old boy. (I was a 9 year old boy once in LA:D ).

There are a lot of cool things in LA to do for a 9 year old boy, but it does depend on what he is "into".

Seriously for a 9 year old boy as part of the program, if you are going to beaches (because literally in Southern California, each and every beach has it's own totally different "personality", and I can recommend a good beach depending on the person and what they are looking for).

That being said, (I see why you are going to a Dodger Game now)...

If you are having a beach day...

On the weekend, go to Venice Beach. It is crazy (in a good way there) on the weekends. Street performers, can be skateboard, bike, rollerskating trick jump people...

Activity and the best "people watching" all over the place.

There is the bike path that runs all along the beach from Pacific Palisades, through Santa Monica, and down through Venice Beach.

If you are active, then you can rent skates or bikes to go up and down the boardwalk on the beach.

If not, then you can walk around, they have everything here, from Funky high end designer boutiques, to crazy street performers, inexpensive (but great) souveniers, restaurants.

Then if you walk north, you can get to the Santa Monica Pier, which has an old historical carosel (seen in tons of movies and TV shows) as well as bumper cars, and a Ferris Wheel.

And then you have the beach right there with all of this.

There is also (in walking distance from the entrance to the Santa Monica Pier) the Third Street Promenade. This is really fun and cool shopping, and they have some interesting toy stores for kids.

Depending on what you want to do (and all of your walking ability) you could start at the lower end of Venice, and walk up and back through here; or you could park and start near the entrance to the Santa Monica pier, and walk south through Venice.

There is SO much to do and see here, it could be a fun 2 hours, or you could spend and entire day (if you're doing Third Street Promenade, Santa Monica Pier, and Venice Beach Boardwalk). So much to do and see, you could be worn out, and lots of visual and other activities for kids.

There's my thoughts for now.

Get back to me, as far as are you looking for things or shopping for yourself, or is this all about the 9 year old boy.

Because also, for a 9 year old boy...

La Brea Tar Pits can be really cool and fun. They are literally currently excavating the tar pits, and there's lots of cool dinosaur stuff.

(If not skip it).

Another thing for a 9 year old, Knott's Berry Farm has a lot of cool fun things for that age (is he 42" tall?). That's a good place for kids that are in that stage, where Disneyland is a little boring and old, but BIG roller coasters are too much.

(I have friends coming from out of town this next week, and that is where we are going for them).

Keep giving me more specifics, questions, and info; and I'll keep giving you my expertise and opinions.

CJW

We will check out knotts berry farm....Santa monica and venice beach is on our to do list. Are there any good restaurants to take a 9 year old? Are there any studio tours that a 9 year old wouldn't get bored with. He is too young to take to any taping of shows. Why so many questions about things for a 9 year old...he really wanted to see LA....we wanted to see it as well, but if I could fit a few things in it that would be special for him, that would be great. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Wow...

Curt's been doing a good job here...but I'll add a few cents worth...

By the way, Malibu is about a block wide and TWENTY-SEVEN miles long...and that's only the length of the city limits!

I grew up in the area (right next to J. Paul Getty's house...behind the "Villa") and still live in the area (right over the hill in Calabasas)...

There are really no homes there worth seeing...it's not at all flashy...unless you know the people and have access inside...the lots are very narrow as beachfront property is at a premium...From the street, they're not much to look at...most of the star types live in Malibu Colony (and it's gated with high security)...there is public beach access, so yes, you can walk by on the beach side...or way out at Broad Beach or other remote locations (I was in Barbra Streisand's house when she lived up in Ramirez Canyon--and, trust me, most folks would have a hard time finding it--or getting into the complex...

If you just wanted beach time, I'd stick with Santa Monica--closer in and with large public parking lots--but crowded...For uncrowded, we locals head up to Zuma--which is way at the upper end of Malibu...

The most famous and busiest restaurant in the area is Gladstone's--sort of a local landmark--right where Sunset Blvd. meets Pacific Coast Highway...

Your hotel is actually in an incredible location...right in Westwood Village, sort of the heart of the West Side...Go visit the UCLA campus, right on the other side of Westwood Village, north of Le Conte between Gayley and Hilgard...If your son is into Basketball, take him into Pauley Pavilion to see the National Championship banners...and to the Morgan Center and Hall of Fame...You will never see a collection of Sports trophies like we have there (Not only has UCLA won 11 Basketball Championships, we've won the NCAA Volleyball title 18 times, we're into double figures in women's softball...and have multiple championships in virtually every sport...UCLA leads the NCAA by far in national championships with 99...only 2 other schools (Stanford and SC) even have more than 50...Then head over to the UCLA book store and buy your son that souvenir UCLA T-Shirt...

Kids tend to like Universal Studios as well...It's not close to as far away as Knott's (which will be a good hour's drive even with not traffic, only slightly closer than Disney)...If you go to Universal, a fun restaurant is Micelli's on Cahuenga (just off the 101) in the Universal City area--the waiters all sing and put on a complete show...check with the restaurant about the time...

Not too much fun for a 9-year old, but a cultural highlight for adults is the Getty Center Museum...it's very close to your hotel (of course, as with everything in LA, still a car ride_--just a couple of exits up the 405...

If you really want to see "Star's homes", you can buy one of those hokey maps from the guys on street corners in Beverly Hills...Beverly Hills was developed before the notion of gated communities, so the big houses are all just right out there on the streets...and it's also very close to your hotel...

Have fun...

I am still around....still looking into restaurants and maybe studio tours....Looked into knots berry farm...still contemplating if we want to do the rides.....been to florida every year and have done disney and universal...so again....any good, interesting restaurants for a nine year old?

which studio tour would he like the most? What is the weather like in LA in September? Thanks!

I am still around....still looking into restaurants and maybe studio tours....Looked into knots berry farm...still contemplating if we want to do the rides.....been to florida every year and have done disney and universal...so again....any good, interesting restaurants for a nine year old?

which studio tour would he like the most? What is the weather like in LA in September? Thanks!

Sorry, I've been swamped, so I'm just checking in...

First of all...

There are a LOT of good restaurants (especially in close driving distance from Westwood), BUT, here's the key thing I need to know now...

What is considered a "good, interesting" restaurant for a nine year old?

What is your nine year old into?

What does he like or dislike about restaurants?

There are certain ones that have interesting unusual locations, active server character participation at the table, just kind of good kid food, etc.

So, what would be the ideal parameters that you are looking for a good nine year old restaurant?

Then, studio tours...

Honestly for a nine year old, Universal is the best. It's the most active/interctive. You get to really see a working lot/studio, but get a tram ride through a working back lot, then you get attacked by Jaws, you get a flood, etc., etc.

Then you get rides, interactive shows, afterward.

For a nine year old, I think that's the best one (the difference here between Universal Hollywood, and Universal Florida, is that Universal Hollywood is an actively working film and television studio.)

There are other more intimate ones, but I think that they would be boring for a nine year old.

Unless he has certain shows that he LOVES on Nickelodeon or Disney Channel. I'd have to check with some of my friends to see if they offer tours on those lots, but even if they do, they would only be good if there is a certain show that he would be so excited to see the set, and be on the lot.

Otherwise, it's Universal all the way.

Weather in September...

In general there is no way to predict LA weather (it changes every year), but if it continues as now (like it should), then it should be fairly warm (total guestimation, but could be anywhere from 70 to 90 degrees, and should be sunny), unless there is a freak storm or something.

Just also bear in mind for LA packing...

Pack "layers" of clothes. It is a desert after all, and it could be 90 during the day, but as soon as the sun goes down, turn into 60. You always want to pack layers so that you can add or subtract according to what is exactly occuring on that particular day.

I hope this helps.

I'll check back.

CJW

I was wondering what happened to you? What is my 9 year old into sports, basketball, hockey & football. He is into Video games as well....He doesn't like

going to fancy restaurants or where you have to go get dressed up. He likes good kid fare...I think he would like a themed restaurant, he likes going to restaurants with alot of stuff on the walls, especially if it is unusual. A good example, he liked alot of the restaurants in Universal Orlando Walk...I will remember to dress in layers. He would be interested in seeing disney or nick's sets, he does watch a few shows on those channels.....thanks for all the advice....

Thinking more...

There are a few restaurants in Marina Del Rey that could be cool...

Good restaurants and you get to watch all of the boats sailing in a sailing out at the same time...

First of all (not the best view of the boats, but close) but great for a 9 year old boy is Edie's Diner...

1950s, great food, jukebox song choices at each table, and you get to see boats out the window...

I can't find an "official" website now, but here's something to get started with:

http://losangeles.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=0&restaurantid=27001&neighborhoodid=152&cuisineid=0

And I would recommend the Vanilla Cokes, or Vanilla Diet Cokes are the best.

CJW

Marina Del Rey cool 9 year old restaurant #2...

Shanghai Red's

Here's a link:

http://www.shanghairedsrestaurant.com/

What's cool about this...

#1 Good food for adults and items for kids

#2 Great location, you can watch boats sailing in and out of Marina Del Rey...

#3 They have the best hugest koi pond as you walk in, maybe your 9 year old will be bored, but I loved (and still love) it, as a kid. For what ever reason, (walking over the ramps over the koi pond to get into the restaurant, watching the boats while eating dinner, etc.) And then you can walk around Fisherman's Warf before or after dinner, lunch, whatever...

This was a favorite childhood place.

CJW

Archived