Questions for recent CB people

Raceroc

Sailing on the Caribbean Princess Nov 5th (Eastern) with a group of 11 people... Can't wait!

Do they have drink specials?

How much was a beer or standard mixed drink i.e. "rum and coke" etc.?

Was there a poolside band? If yes what type of music did they play?

Did any lounges have older music (60's or 70's)?

Was the MUTS cool or annoying?

I am in a Bal (BC) on Aloha deck with myself my wife and my 13 year old son. The cabin is labeled with a triangle (3rd person). Does that mean he sleeps on the couch or is there an upper for the third person?

Was it crowded for free Ice cream at 3:30?

How was Coki Beach/Coral World? Thinking of doing the "Sea Trek" and some snorkeling.

Did anyone do the "America's Cup"?

Have some friends booked in Cat FF obstructed OV. How obstructed is the view?

What was the "Don't miss" activity, show or party?

Thanks in advance.

Happy cruising!

I will be on the CB in August. Till then, I can address a couple of your questions just from my Princess cruising experience (7 cruises, 10 total).

Ice cream is around 3:30 in the buffet area. Its not usually really crowded. They usually set out around 4 buckets of ice cream and the scoops and you dip your own. Flavors vary from minute to minute, they seem to just grab whatever tub is closest in the cooler to bring out.

Obstructed ocean view rooms usually means you have a wonderful view of the bright orange lifeboat tenders outside of your window. Once I actually had a great view, but it was only because they had an opened area on the tender that was right beside my window. Still, you don't spend much time in the room so it doesn't really matter.

There are lots of different types of music always available on the ship. Piano music, popular music, carib music, string quartets, you name it and at some point they will probably have it.

Hope this helps!

Cruised CB on May 27 sailing, so I will attempt to answer some of your questions.

Beer is in a sixteen ounce plastic bottle for $4.50.

MUTS was not annoying to us but judging by some of the post on these boards I may be in a minority.

Yes, we did the America's Cup and it is well worth the money. We were aboard Canada II and beat Stars n Stripes.

Have fun on your cruise.

We were on the June 24th sailing of the CB this year. It was our first time on Princess and we loved it. So, I'll try to answer some of your questions:

They offer a "drink of the day." Each day a different drink is highlighted, but it's not discounted in price. It's a good way to try different drinks that you might not otherwise order.

Mixed drinks and martini's averaged about $5-6 per drink. Not overly expensive, about the same as you would expect to pay in a bar in the city. Beer was a bit less, but can't remember exactly what it cost.

There was a live band at the main pool (Neptune's) and what we heard of them it was your average island/caribbean music. The other main pool had the MUTS screen, and...don't remember any music at the Terrace and Spa pools.

On specific nights one of the lounges (I think it was Club Fusion) would have decade themed activities (music, trivia, etc.), somehow we always managed to miss this. :(

My husband and I were indifferent about MUTS. We didn't find it annoying. As a matter of fact, unless we were at that specific pool, we did not hear it all. Our 13 year old son, however, LOVED it. He sat up several nights with the teen club to watch movies.

I am in a Bal (BC) on Aloha deck with myself my wife and my 13 year old son. The cabin is labeled with a triangle (3rd person). Does that mean he sleeps on the couch or is there an upper for the third person?

We were in a mini suite. I'm to understand, however that the regular balcony rooms have the upper bunk. They do not have a sofa (my son said the sofa was very uncomfortable anyway).

It didn't seem to be crowded at all. It was like nobody remembered or knew about the free ice cream.

How was Coki Beach/Coral World? Thinking of doing the "Sea Trek" and some snorkeling.

We did not do this excursion. However, we did go scuba diving off Coki on a Princess excursion. It was REALLY disappointing. Coki beach is very popular and crowded. Visability for diving was poor, I imagine snorkling couldn't be much better.

Sorry, we didn't do this one. Hopefully, someone else can help you.

As mentioned above, the obstructed view rooms have views of the lifeboats. However, sometimes the rooms window is positioned so that it is between lifeboats, giving an actual halfway decent view.

Hmmm....some would say Bert Stratton in Crooner's. While, we enjoyed him very much and would suggest you put him on the must see, I wouldn't see him more than once (his show does not vary from night to night). We also enjoyed "Piano Man" in the Theater, and also really enjoyed a jazz trio in the Wheelhouse.

We did not do this excursion. However, we did go scuba diving off Coki on a Princess excursion. It was REALLY disappointing. Coki beach is very popular and crowded. Visability for diving was poor, I imagine snorkling couldn't be much better.

This is disapointing to see :eek: ...I have read that the visability is very good. Is there a better place to snorkel?

Yes, we did the America's Cup and it is well worth the money. We were aboard Canada II and beat Stars n Stripes.

This looks like a total blast!! Did you pre-book online or book while on the cruise?

Thanks for the GREAT info!

Was on CB, June 24

FREE ICE CREAM is not crowded. Hosted on the closed side of the Horizon buffet line. Maybe people didn't go in because they thought the room was closed. Also, ice cream is available in the dining rooms every night.

COKI BEACH. My family did the discover scuba also and thought it was a blast - 1 hour snorkeling and 1 hour scuba. I wasn't there, they didn't comment on the water quality/visibility. Would avoid MEGAN's BEACH. It's a beautiful protected bay with almost no surf. But by afternoon was crowded during low season with no lounge chairs or unbrellas - old picnic tables and ants!!

ROOMS WITH BALCONY - rooms are about the same size until you move up to a mini-suite, no couch. If it says it sleeps 3/4 this would be a berth along the wall (looks like an upper bunk bed). The cabin attendant will come in each evening and open up the berth for sleep. Some rooms do allow a roll away - where this would be placed is beyond me. Caribe has basic balcony rooms with double sized balconies - half covered, half open.

AMERICAS CUP - My brother's family did this and enjoyed it immensely. They were US and lost to Canada. Boat speed is dependent on the wind. their day wasn't very fast.

SHOWS that were popular with our group of families, especially the youth - hypnotist and the juggling comedian.

WITH A GROUP YOU CAN PRE-RESERVE. Had a group of 17. Contacted Princess Cruise Lines On Board Group Coordinators to pre-reserve our dining room tables - reconfirmed this with the maitre'd right after boarding. We were assigned 3 tables. Pre-reserved Sabatini's for Monday night 12 persons 6:00 p.m. They somehow lost our reservation but still accommodated us 15 minutes later. Faxed in requests for egg crates and feather pillows - half our rooms were set up, other half was done after we boarded.

We all had a great time - enjoy your cruise!

We went a few months ago and are going again shortly and we can't wait. :)

They make daily special drinks, but the prices remain the same. I know Carnival always had a daily special mixed drink of the day with a discount in price. Prices are 4.50 - 7.00 depending on what and how big.

Didn't drink beer.

Didn't hang out by the pool, but it sounded like Caribbean style music.

Yes indeed. Bert Stratton is at Crooners and is a wonderful piano entertainer that really gets the audience involved.

Tried to watch a movie during the day but the pool crowd was too noisy.

Tried a couple times at night but the movies were not that interesting, but it is neat and hope there will be something interesting this time.

There are no couches with a cabin balcony unless you got a suite, so he will sleep on the bed that comes down from the ceiling. Showers are tiny.

I only learned about it on here and never knew where to go to get it since they don't announce it in the Patters.

The day we went had a big rain storm so it was a miserable day and no one was at the beach.

Nope.

That is what we booked this time. We have always had a balcony but the price was so great to get this room we are going to try to save a few hundred each. From all the pictures I have seen they don't look bad at all.

What was the "Don't miss" activity, show or party?Bert Stratton if you like 50's, 60's and 70's music.

Have a great cruise!

Sailing on the Caribbean Princess Nov 5th (Eastern) with a group of 11 people... Can't wait!

Thanks in advance.

Happy cruising!

We did the western CB, but much will still apply.

Drink specials....try crooners...basically the ships martini bar. Get a souvenir martini glass to take home. Try a "Kurrant Affair".

Drink prices are reasonable, and comparable to what you'd pay at a lounge in a US city, around $5 for a mixed drink.

There should be some Calypso music poolside occasionally.

Older music...try Bert Stratton, but see him at crooners, not the explorers lounge.

MUTS was fine, not annoying to us. Cant help you on the room.

Lines for ice cream were short the time or 2 we were there.

Dont miss activity...Bert Stratton, in Crooners.

This depends on WHERE on the ship it is (you can tell by the deck plan). For example (we were on the Grand, but if you look at the deck plan for the Caribbean Princess you'll see the same thing), in the middle of the Emerald Deck (MIDSHIP) there are about 5 cabins or so IN BETWEEN THE LIFEBOATS. That's where our cabin was. We had only pullies in front of our window and had a great view- once again- take a look at the Deck plans AND Princess or your friends' TA will be able to tell you as well.

This looks like a total blast!! Did you pre-book online or book while on the cruise?

Thanks for the GREAT info!

We booked online and were on the morning excursion. We finished in time for lunch and chose to eat at the 12 Metre Yacht Club. Then we had the afternoon for our own adventures.

Archived