? from first timer taking 82 yr old parents to alaska

rare0525

My DH and I are taking my 82 yr old parents on the Sun Princess out of Seattle on Aug 13th. My mother broke her hip in February so while she is walking with a cane she is very SLOW. so we are taking a small transport wheel chair to move her arond more efficiently:) This will be all 4 of ours first cruise..my Dad was in the Navy and swore he'd been on his last ship! But I prevailed upon him..and after taking many memorable trips together, this will probably be our last trip together due to my mom's failing health.

So that said I want to make this trip as wonderful as possible.

First we are on two different decks...Riviera for us, Aloha for them, both balconies, can you call from room to room? Can her transport chair manuver most places on the ship?

Excursions: My DH and I definitely want to do the Misty Fjords plane and a helicopter glacier in Juneau...Since she can walk and climb stairs do you think she can take these trips? Any other Alaska side trips to recommend?

I love this website...my husband and I will learn from this first cruise and be better preapred for our second...this is my parents one shot so any tips to making the most of the trip would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hello & welcome to Cruise Critic!

I can answer a couple of your questions.

First, you can call room to room via the phone in your stateroom, no charge, and it works just like a hotel.

Second, your mom should be able to easily navigate most areas of the ship.

As far as the individual tours in Alaska, I am unable to answer those questions for sure. There is a section here on Cruise Critic called "Disabled Cruise Travel" that you could post a question about that and might be able to get some great information.

Last I want to tell you that I have been on Sun Princess, and it is a beautiful ship and you will have a wonderful cruise that will create memories that you will cherish.

Happy cruise planning!

As someone who's disabled, I would not recommend your mom take the glacier tour. I don't think you'd want her to slip on the ice and injure her hip again, and that's a real possibility. Most of those chopper tours include a stop on the glacier and a walk around on it, and for the infirm and elderly, it's probably not a good idea. Take a look at your shore excursion list and pay special attention to what every tour says about accessibility. They are pretty good at telling passengers what tours are more physically demanding for those with any kind of physical impairment.

Any tours involving wildlife watching are great for older people who aren't in great physical shape. It's just a matter of walking onto the tour boat and sitting down by the window. The whale watching tours are really perfect for everyone. Another thing you need to think about is any port that is a tender port. My mom is 80 and we don't allow her to get off on any ports that are tender ports, unless the water is absolutely calm. Sometimes, those tenders are very bouncy and can be hazardous to anyone who's elderly and not strong on their feet.

The modern ships are very easy to get around with the exception of the often heavy doors going to the outside decks. The doors on the decks with outside dining are usually electric.

One big problem we had was bath tubs. Mother could easily do a walk in (regular) shower, but couldn't get into or out of a regular bath tub. We always had to make sure that her bathroom had a shower.

Our elder folks loved cruising. Especially the part about not having to pack and unpack all the time as on a bus tour.

Bon Voyage to all!

Becky -

What a wonderful cruise you are planning for your parents. I sailed with my folks many times and if they were still with me, they'd still be sailing! :) It all started with that 50th anniversary cruise for them and they were hooked!

I agree with the other posters, no tenders for your mom. I find that most of them are rather bumpy rides and sometimes not easy to board - I have a hard time getting on and off of them myself at times!

We took the helicopter tour out of Skagway to the top of Denver Glacier. You have to remember that you must change into boots that are provided, maneauver yourself into the aircraft, then use poles to steady yourself on the ice as you walk around. It was, however, the one excursion that I talk about incessantly - just an awesome experience. Perhaps you and your DH could plan that one for yourselves.

Also went whale watching in Juneau and that can be rough too as we had bad weather. The boats are not large and are filled to capacity, so not much room to move around. It is do-able though if you just take a seat and enjoy the scenery and catch a glimpse of a few whales.

Consider other options for your mom. Whatever you plan, have a fabulous time - a trip to remember forever!

Archived