Locked Luggage

argoisin

Each piece of luggage must be locked (once you get to the terminal) and have a colored bag tag listing the guest's name, ship and stateroom number. Bag tags are mailed with cruise documents and additional tags can be obtained at curbside from the porter, if necessary.

Ok, what happens if I don't have those cute little luggage locks? Is it required to have your luggage locked? :eek: I'm a first time cruiser and I guess I'm not sure what to expect. Stupid maybe, but I've never locked my luggage...

Sometimes things "walk away" from your luggage. The porters are not employed by Carnival so they are not responsible for anything that is missing.... You can get some pretty inexpensive locks at Lowes or Walmart....

If you are buying new locks, I recommend that you purchase TSA approved locks. When travelling by air TSA has masters to these locks so they can search bags for security and relock them. Otherwise they will just cut locks off. If you have to buy locks for the cruise you might as well buy the kind you can use for air travel as well

I use zip ties. They are extremely cheap and can be cut off with a nail clipper when you get your bags. It's simply a deterrent. If someone really wants to get in your bag, a lock is not going to stop them.

Some TSA approved locks have an indicator that indicates wether or not the lock has been opened using a master. Last time we traveled the indicator was tripped and when I opened it there was a form from the TSA stating my bag had been searched.

Some TSA approved locks have an indicator that indicates wether or not the lock has been opened using a master. Last time we traveled the indicator was tripped and when I opened it there was a form from the TSA stating my bag had been searched.

Really???I have TSA locks for all of my luggage...where can you check to see if its been open?? That would be interesting to see.

I use zip ties. They are extremely cheap and can be cut off with a nail clipper when you get your bags. It's simply a deterrent. If someone really wants to get in your bag, a lock is not going to stop them.
We used the zip ties also, the only time they had been cut off was when we got them back from flights. Inside we saw where TSA had randomly search a piece or so of our luggage, we just put on another, and kept going. When we got our luggage into our cabin (we had put on zip ties the night before) none of them had been opened.

Since we've stopped putting valuables in our luggage (we have, haven't we?) aren't the locks just to keep the zippers from working open? I've taken to using safety pins or diaper pins. Easy to open for searching, easy to put back after searching, and if the zipper head travels it pulls its partner along with it.

Of course, that didn't help on my son's last trip when the entire zipper just let loose. Thankfully it did it at a time where he was able to keep his belongings from scattering to the four winds.

So...does anyone have an opinion on whether or not my diaper pin trick is sufficient for cruise packing?

Ok, what happens if I don't have those cute little luggage locks? Is it required to have your luggage locked? ..

Argo, the locks don't have to be cute.:D I use the little locks that came w/my luggage; however, you can get a pack of three little locks and keys at WalMart for about $1.29 in the luggage dept. No biggie. Many folks use the cable ties, and I think you can get a whole bag of them for almost nothing.

Carnival says to make sure you lock your luggage before handing over to the porters at the pier, and again before putting your luggage into the halls the last evening of the cruise.

Although the porters who take your luggage to the ship are employed by the port authority, I don't think theft is the main reason for this. Locking keeps luggage from opening and everything falling out - as the bags are tossed around just like at an airport. The locks keep everything intact.

Since we've stopped putting valuables in our luggage (we have, haven't we?) aren't the locks just to keep the zippers from working open? I've taken to using safety pins or diaper pins. Easy to open for searching, easy to put back after searching, and if the zipper head travels it pulls its partner along with it.

Of course, that didn't help on my son's last trip when the entire zipper just let loose. Thankfully it did it at a time where he was able to keep his belongings from scattering to the four winds.

So...does anyone have an opinion on whether or not my diaper pin trick is sufficient for cruise packing?

What happened to your son is just one more good reason to carry duct tape! ;)

As for the diaper pin, I'd be concerned about it popping open under stress. Try the locks like Cotton suggested or the cable ties. Both are very cheap and a bit more dependable.

question if I may. March of 2005 I traveled from Phoenix to Houston and then to Frankfort, Germany and then to Budapest. I carried a small nail clippers all the way. On the return flight my nail clippers were confiscated in Frankfort. Has the rules now changed where I can take small nail clippers in my pocket to open the ties on my luggage?

Robb

I think some airports are more or less lax than others.

DH cannot carry his leatherman with him. That was a costly mistake we won't make again.

I have learned that I can carry small blunt-end scissors in my make-up bag. When going through security, I take them out and lay them on top of the make-up bag so they don't have to search it looking for the scissors. I've never had a problem with them. But they took my sharp ones. Another costly lesson.

I'm glad I read this post, because I didn't know to lock our bags at the pier. We don't bother at the airport, in fact, at Nashville, they make you unlock any locks before checking bags. So, I've never locked any luggage. I've never had anything stolen either.

Shay

........I'm glad I read this post, because I didn't know to lock our bags at the pier.

Yet another reason to read the "Welcome Aboard" booklet that comes w/your cruise docs. All the info you could ever want is included in that booklet. It always surprises me when folks say "they didn't know....", especially about no irons, candles, etc. It's all in there; all anybody has to do is read. ;)

...... at Nashville, they make you unlock any locks before checking bags.

Nashville is like every other airport. Unless you use TSA approved locks, EVERY airport disallows locked luggage.

This is know as a CYA statement. Carnival wants your luggage locked so that it is harder to balme them if something disappears. If you don't want to lock your luggage you don't have to.

Has the rules now changed where I can take small nail clippers in my pocket to open the ties on my luggage?

Robb

I believe anything sharp has to be in checked luggage. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I always put my scissors (used to cut zip ties) in an outside pocket of my checked luggage.

Archived