Ocho Rios - Dolphin Encounter/Dunn's River Falls input

I have just booked the dolphin encounter swim and Dunn's River Falls excursion through the ship for Aug. 27 cruise. I would like to know what does everybody do with their towels and camera while climbing the falls. Are there lockers there? Also, do you get to really swim with the dolphins or is it just a touch and hug for pictures encounter? I would like to have any input on this excursion from any of you who have done it. We did the dolphin encounter at Costa Maya in March and really enjoyed it. :D There was a place on the end of the pier for participants to put their beach bags, etc. while in the water with the dolphins. Is there a place like that at Dolphin Cove to put your things while in the water? Thanks:)

We did not do the Dolphin Experience, but did have an excursion to Dunn's River Falls. All of the articles I read about it said that it was bored and overrated. Luckily, I felt they were completely WRONG! I loved Dunn's River and had a great time. We did the "Cruise to the Falls" excursion and when we got off of the yaght, they had an area where there were blankets on the sand and they let you put you stuff on top while an employee watched your things. I cannot guarantee that will be the same for you, but most likely it will. Sorry that I cannot comment about the Dolphin excursion, but I'm sure someone else will. Enjoy your cruise!

Derek

Beware,My family did the Ocho Rios/Dunn's River Falls & Dolphin Encounter.The Falls were great the guides very helpful when needed but when we went for the Dolphin Encounter we were mis-directed for a hike

through the woods to see native animals and missed the Dolphin Encounter.We thought they were taking us to the cove for the Dolphins.

Just a word of warning.Everything else was very enjoyable.

Yes, we did the excursion through the Cruise Line.Don't feel that it was their fauly,but we did let them know of the about the incident.We're awaiting a reply from them through our Travel Agent.She felt she may hear from them better than we would.She also let the Cruise Rep.know.

Yes, we did the excursion through the Cruise Line.Don't feel that it was their fauly,but we did let them know of the about the incident.We're awaiting a reply from them through our Travel Agent.She felt she may hear from them better than we would.She also let the Cruise Rep.know.

What ship were you on and how recent did that happen? We are going to be on the Mariner of the Seas. I sure hope that doesn't happen to us. I just wonder if this has happened to anybody else.

I sure hope it didn't happen to many others.We were on the Navigator.

Great Ship.It happened to everyone that was on our bus including some

from a Carnival Ship.Don't worry to much about it,if it's offered by a local

don't go.Ask for directions to the dolfins and enjoy.

We did Dunn's River Falls and Dolphin Cove last Sept. It was a Royal Caribbean run excursion. Dunn's River Falls was amazing, you do need to experience that at least once in your life. They have lockers at the fallls that you can rent. If I remember correctly, I think it was like $8, but well worth it. I would NOT leave anything out in Jamacia. Not if you want to see it again.

If you are bringing a non-water camera the guide will carry it up the falls for you. Our guide was carrying about 8, not one got wet. We had a disposible water camera so it didn't matter. The guide will take pictures for you if you'd like, in fact he "insisted" on taking our picture at different spots along the way (glad he did, we have many nice pictures of ourselves that we wouldn't have had). They are looking for tips at the end, we felt they deserved one.

We did NOT do the Dolphin swim and REGRET it. We sat and watched people in the water with the Dolphins and were envious the entire time. They seemed to have a lot of time in the water with them ( I'd say about 30 minutes) and seemed to have a great time. They reason we didn't do the encounter was after reading many reviews here on the boards, most felt that it wasn't worth the extra $$ to actually be in the water with the dolphins for what they said was about 5 minutes of interaction time. After watching, we really wished we did that part. It would have been worth it.

The only problem I had with the excursion was, in order to get back to the bus in the parking lot at Dunn's, you have to go through a straw market, the vendors are EXTREMELY aggressive. Just keep your head down and say "Sorry, no money" if you want to have them leave you alone.

I've done the Dolphin Swim and Dunnes River Falls. Did you book the sim or encounter? If it was encounter then you do not get in the water with them. The swim you are in for about a 1/2 hour. You swim with them kiss them and they take pictures and video you can buy. My only complaint was that you couldn't bring your own waterproof camera in with them. In Cozumel we were able to which made it even better we got many great shots. I think encounter you just watch them people swim with them and watch get to touch them. next they took us to Dunns and it was beautiful. There are lockers at the top of the falls. You have to pay for them of course. The falls were great and i've done them 2 times now and would do them again.

I've done the Dolphin Swim and Dunnes River Falls. Did you book the sim or encounter? If it was encounter then you do not get in the water with them. The swim you are in for about a 1/2 hour. You swim with them kiss them and they take pictures and video you can buy. My only complaint was that you couldn't bring your own waterproof camera in with them. In Cozumel we were able to which made it even better we got many great shots. I think encounter you just watch them people swim with them and watch get to touch them. next they took us to Dunns and it was beautiful. There are lockers at the top of the falls. You have to pay for them of course. The falls were great and i've done them 2 times now and would do them again.

We are signed up for the Dolphin Encounter Swim and Dunn's River Falls (#OR06) with the Mariner of the Seas. The description said we would swim for approximately 30 min as they kiss and interact with us while swimming. I hope it will be the swim. We did the encounter at Costa Maya and loved it. It was not the swim but we enjoyed it anyway. Are there lockers or places to put your stuff at the Dolphin Cove and are there vendors there? Thanks for your input.

We had a party of 7. Due to limited spots, we booked 4 encounters and 3 swims (for the same time). I am not convinced that the Swim at Ocho Rios is worth the extra money. I have read about other encounters where you can get pulled along by the dolphins and other real interaction. The Swim at Ocho Rios is more of a glorified encounter where you are actually in the water with the dolphins. They had 5 or 6 dolphins doing the swims and 3 doing the encounters. Each swim dolphin had a group of about 10-12 people. You line up and the dolphin swims back & forth a couple times so you can feel their skin. You (as a group) give the dolphin hand commands to "dance" (spin). And you pose for a cheek kiss (not even a hug). Then all the swim dolphins do some jumps.

Dunns River Falls was a blast! I chickened out on giving the guide my new camera, it was locked in the locker. But luckily, there was a Royal Caribbean photographer about midway that got a picture of us.

I also agree that the straw market was obnoxiously agressive. They were even trying to shove stuff in our bags as we walked by.

-- Rob

we just got back yesterday. we did the dunns river fall and river tubing it was awesome we did the dolphin swim in ocho rios at dolphin discovery it was also really good we got to swim at least 1/2 hour with dolphins . we took a tour with phil lafeyette and we left our things on the bus

We just got back yesterday. We did the Dunn's Fall/Dolphin Encounter in Ocho Rios because my 7 year old son didn't want to swim with the dolphins, but we wanted the family to be together for Dunn's River Falls. My brother and his family did the Dunn's Fall/Dolphin Swim Encounter. From what I heard and saw from my brother's family, I would agree with RobInMN that the swim here is a glorified encounter. My daughter, mom and I did the Royal Swim at Chankanaab park in Cozumel through Dolphin Discovery, and I can tell you that the program there was much more than the one in Jamaica. We got a dorsal pull, foot push, hug and kiss and we got to have a water fight in the water with the dolphins. If you are looking for more interaction, do Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica, but do the dolphin swim at Chankanaab park.

We are signed up for the Dolphin Encounter Swim and Dunn's River Falls (#OR06) with the Mariner of the Seas. The description said we would swim for approximately 30 min as they kiss and interact with us while swimming. I hope it will be the swim. We did the encounter at Costa Maya and loved it. It was not the swim but we enjoyed it anyway. Are there lockers or places to put your stuff at the Dolphin Cove and are there vendors there? Thanks for your input.

There are places to put your things at dolphin cove and vendors as well. It went quick though because you go there and then dunns. We were there and as soon as we were out of teh water we were loading up to go to dunns. I also agree with the other poster that the dolphin swim in cozumel was better. Longer the dolphins pulled you and you could take pictures with your own water camera. But both were fun and a great experience.

There are places to put your things at dolphin cove and vendors as well. It went quick though because you go there and then dunns. We were there and as soon as we were out of teh water we were loading up to go to dunns. I also agree with the other poster that the dolphin swim in cozumel was better. Longer the dolphins pulled you and you could take pictures with your own water camera. But both were fun and a great experience.

Were you on the Mariner of the Seas? The description about the dolphin encounter swim and Dunn's River Falls through RCCL stated that we would do the Dunn's River Falls first and then the dolphin swim and be able to relax on the beach the rest of the day. It stated that shuttle buses are available at 10 min. intervals to return to the ship. I sure hope that is the way it will be. I had rather to the dolphin swim last so we can spend time on the beach. I guess I am still unclear as to how this excursion will be. Thanks for your input.

I've done the dolphin swim and really enjoyed it. You don't really swim with them though. You get in the water with them, pet them, give them the command to dance and then someone takes your picture as the dolphin gives you a kiss. I really enjoyed it because I had never done anything like that so it was a great experience. If you have had a different experience then you may not like it as much.

And I agree to be careful when going through the market! I had a vendor pull me into his shop! I think I was 20 at the time and it was very intimidating! I ended up buying a shirt because I just wanted out of there! Just keep walking! After I bought something from that guy there were all kinds of vendors trying to get me to buy stuff! That was the worst part of my experience there.

• 10 years later...

It looks like some of you have done Dolphin excursion at Ocho Rios Dolphin Cove and Cozumel Chankanaab Park. Would do you recommend doing it at Falmouth or Cozumel?

I have asked the question on Cozumel forum but didn't get any response and I am trying to take advantage of the 20% off excursion from Royal this weekend. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.