Which Category is Better on Westerdam VC or VD ?

Jimbo

Wondering which Balcony Category would be better.......I believe if I'm reading right the Balconies in the VD's are larger but the VC's have a larger Cabin inside.

Anyone have any pictures of the 2 showing the differences?

Opinions will be appreciated?

Jimbo

Wondering which Balcony Category would be better.......I believe if I'm reading right the Balconies in the VD's are larger but the VC's have a larger Cabin inside.Jimbo

dont know about the balconies or the sq footage of the cabins but i doubt that there is much of a difference- although i could be wrong -- i am booked in a vd in january and i chose it because i like to be as close to mid ships without an obstructed view and our friends who are sailing with us are on the same deck with an obstructed view --this why i made my decision to go with the vd --the vd cabins start at a mimimum distance of 1022 feet from the bow and the vc cabins start 23 feet from the stern -- so by choosing a vd i am closer to midships

I don't see any VD's close to mid-ship, aren't they VE's??

Anyone know if the Balconies railings/walls are different between the VD's and the VC's on Westerdam ?

Are the walls looking out to the water clear plexi-glass on both categories or is one category solid steel and the other the clear plexi-glass?

Jimbo:)

Are the walls looking out to the water clear plexi-glass on both categories or is one category solid steel and the other the clear plexi-glass?

Jimbo:)

The VF cabins are the ones with the steel panels instead of plexiglas, but only the ones on the forward upper promenade, from what I can tell from the deck plans.

the vd cabins start at a mimimum distance of 1022 feet from the bow and the vc cabins start 23 feet from the stern -- so by choosing a vd i am closer to midships
Well... I guess the best way to control VD is to keep it completely off the ship. And that's where you will be if you are 1022 ft from the bow of a ship that is only 951 feet long:D ... I saw that number on the deckplans, too.:confused:

Well... I guess the best way to control VD is to keep it completely off the ship. And that's where you will be if you are 1022 ft from the bow of a ship that is only 951 feet long:D ... I saw that number on the deckplans, too.:confused:

ROFLMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Excellent !

i read what you are saying but page 94 of the april2005/2007 hal brochure clearly states that the cabins on the upper prom deck are 1022 ft from the bow starting with cabins vh 4001& vh4002 -- either there is a typo in the hal book OR the length of the ship at 950 feet is the actual part of the ship that sits in the water and not any deck such as the upper prom that extends over the bow of the ship but does not touch the water

interesting question to any of our navy vets --is the length of an aircraft carrier based on how much ship is in the water or does it include the flight deck which actually hangs over the front of the ship

I'm a very old salt (Navy, 1954-1957) and must admit I googled the below info. It may leave your question unanswered, but it seems to indicate that you use the length of the flight deck.

FACTS AND FIGURES

(Dimensions are typical of all Nimitz-class nuclear aircraft carriers).

IMPORTANT DATES Contract Date: March 29, 1988 Keel laid: March 13, 1991 Christening: November 11, 1993 Crew Certification: September 22, 1995 Delivery Date: November 9, 1995 Commissioning: December 9, 1995 DIMENSIONS Length of Flight Deck: 1,092 feet Width of Flight Deck: 257 feet Height of keel to mast: 244 feet Area of flight deck: 4.5 acres Weight of carrier: 97,000 tons PROPULSION Type: Nuclear reactor Number of reactors 2 Maximum speed: over 30 knots Number of screws 4 (5-bladed) Weight of screws 66,200 lbs each FLIGHT DECK/AIR WING Number of catapults: 4 Number of aircraft elevators: 4 Size of Airwing 80+ tactical aircraft MISCELLANEOUS Crew Size 6,200 (including airwing) Meals served daily: 18,600 Number of Compartments 18,600 Number of anchors: 2 (from USS Forrestal, CV-59) Weight of anchors: 30 tons each Length of chain: 2,082 feet, 684 links, 364 lbs. each Number of telephones 2,000 A/C plant capacity: 2,900 tonnes Distillation capacity: 400,000 gal/day Miles of cable and wiring: 900 Number of light fixtures: 30,000

i read what you are saying but page 94 of the april2005/2007 hal brochure clearly states that the cabins on the upper prom deck are 1022 ft from the bow starting with cabins vh 4001& vh4002 -- either there is a typo in the hal book OR the length of the ship at 950 feet is the actual part of the ship that sits in the water and not any deck such as the upper prom that extends over the bow of the ship but does not touch the water

interesting question to any of our navy vets --is the length of an aircraft carrier based on how much ship is in the water or does it include the flight deck which actually hangs over the front of the ship

If the length of the ship was more than 968 ft it would not be allowed in the Panama Canal. Length is measured as LOA or length overall and is from the furtherest point forward on any deck to the furtherestn point aft. I'm betting on misprint, or maybe the measurement is in centimeters?

For military, I understand that larger vessels, length and beam can go through if the deck that is wider than 110' and longer than 968' is also high enough above the water line to be above the walls of the locks and able to miss the obstructions along the sides of the locks, but I'll bet Navy_Chief will fill us in on the details.

I think we need a topic timeout to get this back to heading in the right direction.......

Jimbo:confused:

We were hoping that someone that can give a more definitive answer to your question would see the thread if we keep it near the top... I looked at the deck plans and I think I recall another thread that did confirm that the balconies on the VD's are bigger. I'm pretty sure there is no difference in the cabin width, but I'm not sure about the length.

ROFLMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D quote]

you can stop laughing now---it was most certainly a typo -- the correct distance from the bow to the first set of cabins on the upper prom deck is either 102 ft or 122 ft-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall Length

The overall length of the ship, in feet, is measured from the foremost part of the stem to the aftermost part of the stern, including any fixed projections extending beyond the stem and stern.

ROFLMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D quote]

you can stop laughing now---it was most certainly a typo -- the correct distance from the bow to the first set of cabins on the upper prom deck is either 102 ft or 122 ft-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall Length

The overall length of the ship, in feet, is measured from the foremost part of the stem to the aftermost part of the stern, including any fixed projections extending beyond the stem and stern.

lougee1043,

My laughter was generated more by Grumpy1's innuendo, and clever play on words, in reference to keeping VD off the ship rather than the obvious typo in the statement regarding length... I hope I did not offend you, or anyone else for that matter, who was concerned about the cabin placement and distance measurements...

Wondering which Balcony Category would be better.......I believe if I'm reading right the Balconies in the VD's are larger but the VC's have a larger Cabin inside.

Anyone have any pictures of the 2 showing the differences?

Opinions will be appreciated?

Jimbo

You need to look at your deckplans: VC's are higher up on Verandah Deck, but VD's have slightly deeper verandah's (maybe a foot or so?) down on Upper Promenade Deck.

Of course, the aftmost VC's and VD's are shower-only - and the two VD's on either side of the aft emergency stairwell have double-wide verandahs, as well as various other anomolies that are spelled out on the deckplans...

...other than that they're pretty much the same - but you'll have to decide what works best for you.

Archived