Cuban Cigars

Ok, Now I am total obsess mode...our cruise is next week on the Mariner....eastern caribbean.

I am wondering where can I find One, count 'em, one cuban cigar. I mean a real one.

I am not really a smoker, but I would like to smoke one good cigar while I am on the cruise.

Can anyone recommend a shop in St. Marten?

I'm looking forward to our cruise in September to hopefully acquire my first Cuban to enjoy.

Tips for any ports from experienced cruisers/cigar afficiandos would be great for those of us making our first trips where a fine Cuban would be accessible. (since my Wife and I are planning either a 7 day eastern or western carribean cruise next September. I'm pulling for the western.)

Or if somebody would prefer to e-mail any tips...

bguppies@bellsouth.net

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Bill

What ports will you be going to? Let me know what ports and I will point you in the right direction.

You have to be VERY careful in most ports.

The only port we are going to that will allow Cubans is St. Marten.

(was on the Eastern before and tried to get a cigar in U.S. Virgin Island oops)

Not sure, but I think the onboard shop sells them.

:( Nope. RCCL will not have Cuban cigars for sale on the ship.

Hmm, I wonder if that is the same for Mediteranian cruises, or any cruise that does not touch a US port for that matter?:confused:

-- Rob

The only port we are going to that will allow Cubans is St. Marten.

(was on the Eastern before and tried to get a cigar in U.S. Virgin Island oops)

billylen... go the the "La Casa Del Habano" located at Front Street no. 24. They are in Phillipsburg St. Marteen. Their phone number is 599-543-1001. This is the ONLY place I would truly trust for autheticity.

:( Nope. RCCL will not have Cuban cigars for sale on the ship.

Hmm, I wonder if that is the same for Mediteranian cruises, or any cruise that does not touch a US port for that matter?:confused:

-- Rob

No the US Federal trading with the enemy act prohibits a corporation like RC from buying Cubans anywhere in the world. I personally think the law is stupid but it is the law. Pay cash for one don't charge it. US law also prohibits a US national from buying Cuban cigars even outside the US but one which you will smoke outside the US will not be an issue but don't charge it. No reason to create a paper trail.

that's because USVI and PR are US territories and they aren't allowed to have Cubans products there.

Yes but thr OP wanted to know if they were available, and of course thye are except in the US.

Actually, it isn't illegal to buy any Cuban cigars whether cash or credit card. It's Illegal to bring them back into the United States due to the embargo where you'll either be fined about $3,000 or put in jail.

The only thing is, many places "claim" they are Cubans & instead are cheap knockoffs of another brand with a cuban label. We ran into this in Aruba. Bought it at a so-called reputable smoke shop & apparently it was a cheap knockoff.

However, I would trust the above posters since they seem to know what they are saying. So I'd go with their suggestions.

Actually, it isn't illegal to buy any Cuban cigars whether cash or credit card. It's Illegal to bring them back into the United States due to the embargo where you'll either be fined about $3,000 or put in jail.

Actually it IS illegal for a US national to buy cuban cigars anywhere. The place to look is the OFAC office of the US Treasury. The trading with the enemy act covers US nationals(any one subject to US jurisdiction) any where in the world. So buyimg Cubans in an island with a credit card can be seen. I don't have a problem with someone buying one and smoking it. I actually don't have a problem with you buying a case and risking a fine or imprisonment(doubtful unless they want you for something else) just as a suggestion don't make it easy for them and charge it. Please don't argue with me just go look it up. Here

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/cuba/cuba.pdf

Ok, Now I am total obsess mode...our cruise is next week on the Mariner....eastern caribbean.

I am wondering where can I find One, count 'em, one cuban cigar. I mean a real one.

I am not really a smoker, but I would like to smoke one good cigar while I am on the cruise.

Can anyone recommend a shop in St. Marten?

Are you on the August 6th departure for Mariner? Hubby and I are on that cruise and he was thinking of doing the same. I didn't know it was illegal for US citizens to buy cuban cigars while outside the country... what's the big deal?

Angie - Its all part of the trading with the enemy act (1936) that is enforced by the US Department of Treasury, Office of Foreign Assets Control. They see the purchasing of Cuban products as supporting the economy of Cuba so any monitary transactions either directly or indirectly are prohibited by the US goverment. Thus the reason to not have paper trail on your credit card should you choose to partake on the islands.

From their site is the info related to cigars in particular:

There is now an across the board ban on the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products, as well as most other products of Cuban origin. This prohibition extends to such

products acquired in Cuba, irrespective of whether a traveler is licensed by OFAC to engage in Cuba travelrelated transactions, and to such products acquired in third countries by any U.S. traveler, including purchases at duty free shops. Importation of these Cuban goods is prohibited whether the goods are purchased directly by the importer or given to the importer as a gift. Similarly, the import ban extends to Cuban-origin tobacco products

offered for sale over the Internet or through the catalog mail purchases. Prior to August 1, 2004, persons returning to the United States who were licensed under the Regulations to engage in Cuba travel-related transactions

were authorized by general license to import up to $100 worth of Cuban merchandise as accompanied baggage. Cuban tobacco and alcohol products were included in that general license. That general license was removed from the Regulations.

Transactions Involving Cuban-Origin Goods in Third Countries

The question is often asked whether United States citizens or permanent resident aliens of the United States may legally purchase Cuban origin goods, including tobacco and alcohol products, in a third country for personal use outside the United States. The answer is no. The Regulations prohibit persons subject to the jurisdiction of the United States from purchasing, transporting, importing, or otherwise dealing in or engaging in any transactions

with respect to any merchandise outside the United States if such merchandise (1) is of Cuban origin; or (2) is or 2 has been located in or transported from or through Cuba; or (3) is made or derived in whole or in part of any article which is the growth, produce or manufacture of Cuba. Thus, in the case of cigars, the prohibition extends to cigars manufactured in Cuba and sold in a third country and to cigars manufactured in a third country from tobacco grown in Cuba.

Criminal penalties for violation of the Regulations range up to $1,000,000 in fines for corporations, $250,000 for individuals and up to 10 years in prison. Civil penalties of up to $65,000 per violation may be imposed by OFAC.

Archived