Valparaiso to Buenos Aires

sfbear

Partner and I and four friends will be traveling on the Insignia December 17, Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (including Antartica). Eventho everybody on this board seems to be busy with the European Schedule we are actively booking hotels, air, tours, etc. for this South America cruise which is about five months away. If anybody has an information they would like to share regarding pre- and post-cruise hotels in Santiago and Buenos Aires; excursions; transfers, etc., we would be happy to hear about them. Who did you use and what did you think?

Especially of interest to a few of us are trips to Iguacu Falls upon completion of the cruise. Recommendation of tour operators and packages will be greatly appreciated.

I'm aware of the Yahoo Oceania So. America Reunion Board which seems quiet right about now - - - this board is much larger (the other only has 38 members) so I'm asking this larger group for any info - - - general or specific. We all looking forward to this trip with a great deal of enthusiasm.

Cheers - Rich

Having done that trip twice, and going to SA again in January, I will give you some hotel recommendations

Buenos Aires: The Four Seasons and The Intercontinental are both nice. The Four Seasons is more expensive and well worth it. Really like the dining room in the Intercontinental. Both are an easy walk to most places, or a reasonable taxi ride.

Santiago: We stayed in the Plaza San Franciso last winter. Did not care for the hotel. It was on a very noisy street, and although it has high marks, not really that nice. This year we will be at the Ritz Carlton, and I also would recommend the Hyatt. They both are in a nicer part of town.

Make sure you plan some extra days in both places. We also took the bus 500 miles south to Pucon, stay at the Park Lake Hotel (beautiful and new, right on the lake) and rented a car.

[url]www.travelandchile.cl[/url] contact Manuel Garcia. Speaks perfect English, small private tours of the area in Santiago. Reasonable also.

[quote name='sfbear']Partner and I and four friends will be traveling on the Insignia December 17, Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (including Antartica).
<snip>
Cheers - Rich[/QUOTE]
My wife and I will also be on the December 17 sailing. Our flights to and from the cruise are part of our package, so I do not think we will be staying overnight at either Valparaiso or BA.

We would like to find fellow passengers to be part of the portcompass shore excursions (particularly at Punta Arenas and Puerto Madryn), so if you or anyone else on this cruise has such interests, please let us know.

phlewt

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Merriem']It is a shame to just go on a cruise, and not see the two big cities.[/QUOTE]
I agree with Merriem,You would be missing something if you do not spend a few days in B.A. We stayed at the Alvear Palace Hotel,It was one of the best hotels we ever stayed at,and the part of town was like being on the upper east side of Manhattan like Madison ave.

[quote name='Acrusa']I agree with Merriem,You would be missing something if you do not spend a few days in B.A. We stayed at the Alvear Palace Hotel,It was one of the best hotels we ever stayed at,and the part of town was like being on the upper east side of Manhattan like Madison ave.[/QUOTE]How about the Oceania "hotel program" offering in BA -- it is the Marriott Plaza and the price (including transfers) is listed as 1 night for $125 (per person), 2 nights for $200 and 3 nights for $250. If we made our own arrangements, wouldn't we need to also purchase the air deviation, and if so, would we save anything when all is said and done?

The cruise lines charge about double for the hotels.......not just Oceania.......they all do it.

If you go to [url]www.marriott.com[/url] and type in your dates, you will find a standard room for $135 for TWO. Paying $125 for one person is a rip off.

I concluded that the one-night hotel package in BA was a reasonable deal. We were making no other changes to our air so we avoided $50 per person air deviation fees. In addition, there is substantial tax on the rate of $135, and the pre-cruise package includes all transfers.

If you look at the added costs for days two and three, you will see that they are are equal or better than the hotel rates, especially the extra $100 for two people to add the third day.

Talked to our travel agent and after confirming there would be no air deviation charges and that transfers would all be included, decided that the Oceania hotel program was the way to go. So we will now spend a couple of days in BA!

Thanks to all for your advice and suggestions.

[quote name='Merriem']The cruise lines charge about double for the hotels.......not just Oceania.......they all do it.

If you go to [url]www.marriott.com[/url] and type in your dates, you will find a standard room for $135 for TWO. Paying $125 for one person is a rip off.[/QUOTE]
Usually, I would agree with you Merriam, but in this case that includes transfers airport to hotel and hotl to ship..I dont think it is a bad price at all..
Jan
cruzunlimited

Merriem, thank you for your information about cost of transfers. We are traveling on the Jan 18 Valparaiso to BA Insignia Cruise. We will be staying over in BA at the Hilton. Are the transfer prices you mentioned for a taxi or for a shuttle service? The Hilton is perhaps a little out of the way...but we're not sure how far from the area you might be quoting.

Thanks for your help.

ck

It was a car from the hotel that we paid $20 for the pick up at the airport. I would contact the Hilton (it is in a nice area........lots of good restaurants) and they should be happy to arrange a car from you.

[quote name='Merriem']The cruise lines charge about double for the hotels.......not just Oceania.......they all do it.

If you go to [url]www.marriott.com[/url] and type in your dates, you will find a standard room for $135 for TWO. Paying $125 for one person is a rip off.[/QUOTE]

Actually, that depends on the date you are going. For our dates least price I found was about $170.
If you book direct you get buffet breakfast included, it is not inc. with the ship deal but, with the ship you have transfers & convience of having them take your luggage right from baggage claim area so it is easier for some people to do that.

Archived