Couples only cruises?

gj953

This is our first cruise, and we were wondering if there is such a thing as couples only cruises? We love kids, my SO and I have 5 kids between the two of us, but we'd just like to get away from all that for this cruise if possible.

We can't wait to go, we're looking at the south or western carribean in Nov.

-gj

What you might be referring to is adults only cruises, rather than couples only cruises. Unlike shoreside resorts that cater to only couples (Sandals in Jamaica, for one), cruise lines don't have couples only cruises, unless some organization charters a ship for only couples. For that matter, there are no adults only cruises that go out of any US port. P&O cruises have two adults only ships, but they cruise primarily out of the UK or Australia.

In order to cruise with the least amount of kids you have a few choices. You can go on cruises longer than 10 days, you can go with a luxury cruise line such as Seabourn, Crystal, Regent or Silversea who don't cater to families, or you avoid cruising during summer or any holiday season when kids are out of school. You also should avoid cruise lines like Carnival, RCCI and NCL as they seem to be overrun by kids most of the year. If you're looking at November/Thanksgiving, forget about not having kids on board because Thanksgiving week is very family friendly. The weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas, the last three weeks of January and the end of April are the least kid-friendly times to cruise.

I cruise solo, usually on Holland America. I pick cruises that are 10 days or longer, never during the Christmas holidays or Thanksgiving, the summer months, or March. I have found these cruises to be virtually kids-free. You may see a few toddlers (who are usually well behaved) but almost never teenagers. Party people also tend to stay away from HAL because of its reputation as a "seniors" cruise. I once heard someone refer to HAL as "God's Waiting Room" however, I started cruising HAL nine years ago at 40 and have always enjoyed the peaceful cruising among adults. I would try the Southern Caribbean as the weather in November can still be a bit rainy in Eastern Caribbean.

If you can wait until December, both Crystal and Regent have excellent pricing on their early December Caribbean sailings. You will find few if any kids on RSSC as they do not have facilites for them, and only add programs for holiday cruises.

I really enjoy the Regent experience but have not yet cruised with Crystal and also hope to try them one day soon. Regent offers an upscale atmosphere with luxurious accomodations and excellent food and service.

kitty9 is correct that you should stay away from Carnival, RCI, NCL if you do not want a lots of kids aboard.

Celebrity might also be an option.

What you might be referring to is adults only cruises, rather than couples only cruises. Unlike shoreside resorts that cater to only couples (Sandals in Jamaica, for one)

FYI, in case you weren't aware, Sandals now allows male/male or female/female occupants in their rooms regardless of their sexual preference.

We have 2 children and I work at an elementary school, so....do I ever want to get away from kids on our adult vacations! However, we don't worry so much if there are children present on any of our cruises, we just don't go near them, there is plenty of space for everyone. When we do see kids act up, or parents having a difficult time with the little ones, we look at each other and smile. It's so nice to not be responsible for that once in a while ;) .

Perhaps one day, after the kids are grown and gone we'll be able to afford the luxury lines, until then we'll just continue as we are.

Probably look at some of the smaller ships too. Alot of cruiselines have been building the newer ships with amenities and facilities specifically targetting families. So if you do need to be one of the mainstream lines, the smaller ship, longer cruise, and off peak might just get you close to adults "mainly".

Have a great vacation.

I cruise solo, usually on Holland America. I pick cruises that are 10 days or longer, never during the Christmas holidays or Thanksgiving, the summer months, or March. I have found these cruises to be virtually kids-free. You may see a few toddlers (who are usually well behaved) but almost never teenagers. Party people also tend to stay away from HAL because of its reputation as a "seniors" cruise. I once heard someone refer to HAL as "God's Waiting Room" however, I started cruising HAL nine years ago at 40 and have always enjoyed the peaceful cruising among adults. I would try the Southern Caribbean as the weather in November can still be a bit rainy in Eastern Caribbean.

i am so glad to read a positive post about holland. i have not cruised on her but am thinking of branching out from carnival for a change. i am a solo cruiser also and in my late 50's , and although i love kids i would rather be without a multitute of them on my cruises. i will consider hal for my 2008 cruise. it is good to know that solo's have a good time on her.

Archived