"Little Black Dress" & Formal Night

Here's the situation: (If this is familiar to you, I've written up bits and pieces of it in earlier posts.)

I have recently lost about 20 lbs. (Not dieting. A combination of a nasty case of the flu and a determination to get fit at last.) I've lost a full dress size and then some. I have a lovely formal dress that was first worn as the Mother of the Bride dress. One of my ulterior motives in booking a cruise (Celebrity Summit to Alaska) was to get another wear out of that dress. It's lined and beaded so altering isn't an option.

I'm "space efficient" and wear petite size clothing so finding a replacement isn't easy. (All those posts about post-prom dress sales? Only tall girls go to proms. <bg>) Yesterday I found a "little black dress" at Lord & Taylors for a song. (Nordstroms had the exact same dress at full price. I felt so smug!) It has a regular "jewel" neckline (no scoop) and short sheer beaded sleeves.

I'd rather have something a little more formal than that and something in a longer length, but I'm feeling lucky to have done that well. (For the second formal night, I'll be wearing a very dressy pantsuit, black with blue satin shell and trim.) Now I'm facing two fashion questions: (I'm not the most fashion aware person so bear with me.)

1. There've been posts about hose colors. (I'll be wearing black beaded sling-back pumps with *closed toes*.) Please refresh my memory. Sheer black or nude hose?

2. Jewelry: I'm thinking a crystal/rhinestone necklace, kind of Y-style with dangly pendant. (Does that make sense?) Would that be good? Other suggestion?

Thanks for the advice.

M/R

First of all, a beaded and lined dress can easily be adjusted to fit your weight loss. I've done this many times and it doesn't ruin the look of the dress. They do that type of thing all the time with heavily beaded wedding dresses, bridesmaids and mother of the bride dresses. Take the dress to a local bridal shop and I'm sure they can make the adjustments.

Your ideas for the little black dress sound just fine.

Congratulations on your weight loss! Definitely black hose with a black dress and black shoes. When in doubt go to Nordstrom and ask the sale lady to help you pick. I think a sheer black would be appropriate. I'm not sure what other type of black you were thinking of but you probably wouldn't want opaque. I believe their preview sale starts July 16 and they may have hose on sale. I was told they will have dresses on sale by a sales associate. Good luck and have fun!

Lydia

It's an Alaska cruise, and my legs are *not* tanned. I'm very fair and sunburn easily so I'm a dedicated sunscreen user. I'll be wearing hose of some type b/c my shoes are closed toe and not wearing hose will be uncomfortable.

Why not try on the dress with black and nude hose and see which one you like best? I'm one that would never wear black hose, but everyone has to be comfortable with what works for them.

A couple years ago, I bought a red sheath dress on sale for $27. It was a bit loose, but a great buy, so I thought I would get it altered. Well, hemming was only $14, but to alter this lined dress, they wanted $80. It would have brought my bargain dress up to $121, more than the original cost. So, I guess it would depend on the value of the dress to you.

M/R,

Congrat's on the weight loss.

I would definitely wear black hose. Sheer hose with a black dress and back shoes just isn't going to look as elegant. Buy the sheerest ones you can find.

Also, be sure to buy "jet" black and not "off black" - those just look like old hose that have lost their color after many washings.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Jane

I disagree about the off-black hose. I always wear very sheer off-black hose with a black dress. This came to me years ago after a fashion afficionado claimed that jet black hose are for funerals only.

I think the off-black is a lighter, classier look and it shows the legs better.

Nude could work also, but would most likely look better with very strappy sandals.

As far as the comment about "no hose"...... Well, my own personal opinion on that is that there is a time and place for no hose and it's not for everyone and every occasion. If you are comfortable in your own (hopefully tanned) skin and you are wearing open toed shoes, then it can be acceptable for a short (non-floor length) dress. In a long gown.....who care causes no one is going to see anything but maybe peek of leg.

I have seen some pretty sorry examples of hose-less legs on formal nights. Remember, just because Hollywood does it, it doesn't make it nice.

It occurred to me that one way to decide which color of hose to wear is to check out Neiman Marcus's and Nordstrom's websites to see what color their models are wearing. They both had "little black dress" categories. Conclusion: nude hose it'll be.

Thanks for your suggestions.

M/R

Archived