Bad Buffet????????????????????

delidan30

I was on the 7/22 cruise. I've read that the buffet was bad. It wasn't!! It was great for buffet food. They had a Hot roast carve to order everyday. Plus everything else you could ever want. Someone wrote she couldn't get a sandwich. They had a hot sandwich of the dayt everyday day. They also had all kinds of coldcuts and cheese and all kinds of bread and rolls everyday to make your own. They don't force you to eat at the buffet. You can eat in the dinning room.

I was on the 7/22 cruise. I've read that the buffet was bad. It wasn't!! It was great for buffet food. They had a Hot roast carve to order everyday. Plus everything else you could ever want. Someone wrote she couldn't get a sandwich. They had a hot sandwich of the dayt everyday day. They also had all kinds of coldcuts and cheese and all kinds of bread and rolls everyday to make your own. They don't force you to eat at the buffet. You can eat in the dinning room.
I agree, and I have also noted in recent years that the buffet is offering more of the options from the main dining room menu for the evening meal. There was a time in the past where the buffet wasn't that special but it has really improved.

I've heard people complain that a fruit cocktail offering was out of a can rather than fresh cut fruit (available elsewhere in the buffet). Some people will complain about anything ... and usually do.:rolleyes:

First I have to say .. I totally dislike buffets .. now to the crux of the matter .. Cruise Ship Buffets are wonderful ... in fact anything on a cruise is so much better than anything on land ..

Ya think I have a little prejudice going there ???

Is it October yet ?

I've read that the buffet was bad.

Don't believe anything you read until you've experienced it yourself, especially about cruise food, which is a very subjective personal call.

Glad you enjoyed the cruise.

Five more months :( before our next one :):)

I'm not a huge fan of buffet dining but I think Princess' Horizon Court is generally pretty good. Only once have I thought it disappointing, and that was when it was held open for a very large group that had an excursion that returned after midnight.

I agree, Delidan. I was with you on the 7/22 Crown (it was nice to finally put faces to the names) and we thought the buffet was fine; no complaints.

Glad to hear this was about the Crown. We'll be on her in October and for us, the buffet is our main source of salads, we usually don't even look at the hot foods. We count on a huge salad for lunch everyday and Princess has never let us down. The Horizon has always had a wonderful selection of fresh cut vegetables like cucumber with the seeds cut out and sliced multicolored peppers, beans, green beans, broccoli, and on and on and on...

So... can anyone report back about the Horizon Court and Caribe Cafe on the Crown? ... about vegetables in particular?

Delidan I agree that the buffet and the Crown was good. We hate buffets too and we like the one on the Crown. I was hungry one night after dinner and went and got shrimp and garlic rice and it was yummy.

I liked that they had feta cheese out on the salad bar.

It was nice meeting you and also GB.

When we were on the Grand in 2001, we checked most nights, and we concluded that about 80% of the dinner menu WAS on the buffet, you just had to plate it yourself. At the time, we were able to have lobster delivered room service for dinner on lobster night and ate on our balcony, with sides, salads etc that we picked ourselves off the Horizon court buffet and brought back to the cabin, along with dinner for our toddler.

There was always smoked salmon on the breakfast buffet - is this still the case generally?

The only thing that I ever "missed" that was on the dinner menu but NOT on the buffet was apple streudel that was made as part of the chef's demonstration that day which I went to see, and the buffet maitre'd went to the dining room kitchen and brought us some in the Horizon Court. Can't beat that for service!!!

I understand that the CB will have a seafood buffet, and a german buffet (we are of german and hungarian descent so we are REALLY excited about this!!). Can anyone give me an idea of what will be on the german buffet?

Thanks much!!

Glad to read this! We found the Buffet on Caribbean Princess to be quite good, especially in comparison to other lines and most especially compared to a land based buffet.

Maybe people's expectations are too high when they opt for the buffet. To me, the fact that they have to put a HUGE amount of food out and try to keep it full and fresh is an amazing accomplishment. I'm likely to cut a little slack when one of my entrees isn't boiling hot. I too have found that the vast majority of the dinner entrees are on the buffet menu. Plus, I can have one of those amazing salads another poster described. I think the best guacamole I ever had was on Mexican night in the Caribe Cafe (fingers crossed for the Crown to have it too!).

OO and to answer the other poster about the German buffet. There was a ton of different kinds of sausages, lots of interesting potato dishes, some unusual salads and also schnitzel and some other dishes I cannot recall the name of. Top it off with a German beer brought to you by one of the attentive table servers and we were in heaven!

If you do not like buffets, then you probably won't like the buffets on Princess. However, if you are talking about the actual food on buffets, I think Princess does an excellent job of providing many, many choices with the quality being extremely good. There are so many different types of food, that it would be difficult not to find something to your liking. Sometimes I want a bite to eat, want to just be by myself and enjoy reading or just people watching. I will go up to the HC, usually at an off time, grab a bite, and select at window table and just enjoy life.

Why do people even read reviews of any kind, and especially food reviews

I have all my senses. In a buffet line I can see, and smell. Rarely are the eyes and nose fooled, but if they are, I can taste and feel. So if it looks and smells good but isn't and its tastes and feels [tough] bad.....So what????? There are 20 others items on the buffet.

46 cruises, never suffered starvation on any of them.

Same goes for dining room menus, many items. Don't like one order another. Can't decide, order both[all 3?]. Like the appetizers, don't care for the entrées, order all appetizers. Quit griping, start enjoying.

Dan

A personal belief -- I must finish what is on my plate (buffet or dining room). So I ask the waiters. I am amazed that after a couple of nights at dinner (late traditional), the waiters are on target with recommendations of what I will like. /Sultan

(Boldface by Sultan)

Why do people even read reviews of any kind, and especially food reviews

I have all my senses. In a buffet line I can see, and smell. Rarely are the eyes and nose fooled, but if they are, I can taste and feel. So if it looks and smells good but isn't and its tastes and feels [tough] bad.....So what????? There are 20 others items on the buffet.

46 cruises, never suffered starvation on any of them.

Same goes for dining room menus, many items. Don't like one order another. Can't decide, order both[all 3?]. Like the appetizers, don't care for the entrées, order all appetizers. Quit griping, start enjoying.

Dan

I was on the 7/20 sailing & couldn't stand the buffet for breakfast or lunch. I am a vegetarian & other than salads, the selection was severly lacking. I enjoyed them on Celebrity & RCCL. The breakfasts in particular were a major disappointment. I am glad I tried Princess but I doubt I will return.

Archived