Tours in Athens

Is it possible to book excursions to Athens, and more specifically to the Acropolis, from the port of Pireus? How long doest it take to get there? We dock at noon and leave at 8PM.

Is it possible to book excursions to Athens, and more specifically to the Acropolis, from the port of Pireus? How long doest it take to get there? We dock at noon and leave at 8PM.

Do a search on this board as there is a ton of info on this subject..different ways to get there,guides,costs etc.You will find allkinds of help.You can pick up a giude just for the Acropolis at the entrance.Athens is dable on your own with a good guide book.

If u just want to go to the Acropolis step off ur ship and u'll find 1000 cabs there, take one to the Acropolis.

We had a private driver/guide for a full day so I can't help u w/ur specifics. Like the previous poster said search the Europe board and u'll get all kinds of info on guides, times, etc, etc.

Ciao,

The trip from the port to the Acropolis should only take between 30-40 minutes depending on the traffic.

I would get a cab and ask him to take you there. Once there, you can hire a guide who speaks English and he will take you around the ruins and explain everything. It is worth the money.

Afterwards, I would walk down to the Plaka, have a bite to eat and then explore more of Athens. It is an easy city to walk around as it is not that big.

Jennie

Haven't seen anything anywhere on these boards regarding the Hop on/Off Bus in Athens. I found this site http://www.athensguide.com/sightseeing-bus.htm. For 5 Euros it is certainly an option for the day, but I just haven't figured out yet if there is a closer place to "hop on" from the cruise terminal, or just catch it at the Acropolis.

Just thought others might be interested in checking this out too.

My husband and I along with two other couple cruised through Greece in early June. When we arrived at the port in Pireaus we took a taxi into Athens and met our guide Despina Savvidou. She works for a company called athenswalkingtours. I highly recommend her. Des brought the history of Greece alive for us. We took the #1 history of Athens tour. This is an easy walking tour but the ground is sometimes uneven so make sure to wear comfortable walking shoes. You can get more info on their tours at athenswalkingtours.gr

When I emailed our request they sent back a confirmation letter telling us exactly where & when to meet. It was easy. The tour lasted around 3 hours & was much cheaper than the ship tours. We paid her in cash at the end of the tour.

After the guided tour we walked around the Plaka, had lunch on our own then took the metro train back to Pireaus. The metro cost .80.

The walk from the Pireaus metro station to the ship was around 25 minutes so if it's hot i'd recommend taking a cab ride from there to the ship.

NAS-CARR is right. There are a ton of taxis outside the terminal (we did this in Civitevecchia and Livorno and it worked out great). We happened to already have booked with Paul the Greek. It was wonderful. We were in port from 9 am to 6 pm. He took us to the Acropolis (did on our own), Temple of Zeus, Olympic Stadium, Lyccabettus Hill (stunning view and good food at the restaurant up there), Changing of the Guard and finally to a bakery in his neighborhood (we wanted some baklava). You'll find his info listed on various threads. He and his son took us around. Athens was a great place to visit.

Archived