Discovery World Cruises

seacruise9

I've booked passage on Discovery for next year's eclipse cruise segment from Tahiti to Easter Island...Interestingly, I've also sailed twice on the Marco Polo. While some of the amenities don't match those available on larger ships, she remains my favorite cruising vessel. The camber and shear of the decks, the art deco touches in the public rooms and the general feel of a real sailing ship make her unique. I'm encouraged by Doug's comparison of the Discovery as what MARCO POLO used to be. If that's the case, I'm sure I will be pleased with the overall shipboard experience.
Like you, I've enjoyed trips on the Marco Polo - the last time was the Millenium Cruise to Antarctica. I'm dismayed that the Marco Polo is said not to be as good as it once was. Could be Discovery is the new Marco Polo. Like you, I've booked passage on Discovery's South Pacific Eclipse Cruise this April. I'm actually looking for one or two people to share my cabin. Single cabins were sold out long ago, so I'm taking a chance on finding cabin-mate(s)...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just got home from this cruise on 1/13/05. The itinerary was great. The food on the ship was terrible but the overall experience was enjoyable. The debarkation process in Ushuaia was screwed-up with different people giving different instructions but this was a relatively minor matter. The movements from airport to pier to hotel were smooth with no complaints. We did not get to go through the Lemaire Channel because it was clogged with ice but we did make landings at Paradise Harbor and Half Moon Island. The crossing of the Drake Passage was smooth. I choose this line because I traveled alone and found the price to be the best. Even though the food was not good I would still travel on this ship again if I liked the itinerary. One of the passengers fell out of the zodiac while we were in the Antarctic Sound. She survived without injury. The crew members were very friendly and approachable. The Antarctic staff was very good. Definitely a great trip.

R&M - So thrilled to hear from someone who has been on ship. Thanks for posting. Many questions---

What was particularly bad about the food? We have not been led to expect much. Was it merely dull and disappointing or were there real episodes of inedible?

What was the internet situation? Cost? Any hints for cutting cost?

Did you book excursions from ship or generally do your own?

Thanks so much and glad you liked the ship in general. We are looking forward to our trip around New Zealand in early March.

Charlene

Char:

I would say the food was merely dull. It could be just my taste. Many of the people on the ship were from the UK and Australia, perhaps they liked the food. The food seemed to be geared toward the UK. They have tea time everyday at 4:00.

I did not use the Internet so I have no comments on its cost.

I did use the ship's excursions in the Falkland Islands and Ushuaia. Since there was the possiblity of a time crunch with getting back to the ship in Stanley and getting to the airport in Ushuaia, I thought this would be the safest course to follow.

The ship itself is getting old but the people employed on it were friendly. I liked being on the ship and would gladly go on it again.

Food on DISCOVERY seems a bit of a controversial issue! Two separate friends of mine, both Americans, were on her at two different times - one while being marketed by Discovery World Cruises, one while under charter to Voyages of Discovery - and both thought the food good. Then there is a British friend who visited her in her early days at some UK port (I don't remember which), and thought the food awful. Another British friend just got back from her and he reported on the food very favorably. This is all hearsay of course, but I think it's interesting anyhow. And the reports on these boards, across both nationalities, are just as varied as amongst my own little sample group. Go figure!

Food is always subjective but I've rarely heard such differing opinions about the food on one ship. And usually Brits and Americans have reasonably similar taste so I don't think it's that. National origin and food is much dicier when dealing with, say, a line like Costa or MSC that serves Americans, Brits, and Continental Europeans at the same time. With Discovery serving almost entirely either British or American passengers, food should not be such a difficult thing.

I had heard reports that the catering was of a higher quality on those cruises when the ship was being sold by Discovery World Cruises (i.e. the winter, US-market cruises) than the ones when she was chartered to Voyages of Discovery (the summertime, UK-market cruises). I have no idea if this was true but it would seem a moot point now as Discovery World Cruises have been bought out by Voyages of Discovery. I suspect that this was probably all speculation anyway, especially as the varied reports come from both periods.

At any rate the general consensus seems to be that DISCOVERY is a very nice ship and a well-run operation. I'd certainly like to try her sometime, and hope that she has continued success - we need more small independent operators like this one in the industry!

Hi Charlene, re you possible cruise to NZ in 2005. If you are coming and planning on an excursion in Tauranga NZ, not one offered by the ship. Then we have had contact with other passengers who are looking for independant tours, probably to Rotorua for around $80 pp. If you are interested let us know and we can put you tow in contact. Either post a reply or email me at ian@mctours.co.nz and i will forward their comments to you. Anyhow, have a great cruise, the weather her today is just perfect, watched the Christopher Columbus [Hapag Lloyd line] sail of into the sunset on its way to Wellington with our guests to day Dieter and Heidi from Hamburg.

• 1 month later...
Like you, I've enjoyed trips on the Marco Polo - the last time was the Millenium Cruise to Antarctica. I'm dismayed that the Marco Polo is said not to be as good as it once was. Could be Discovery is the new Marco Polo. Like you, I've booked passage on Discovery's South Pacific Eclipse Cruise this April. I'm actually looking for one or two people to share my cabin. Single cabins were sold out long ago, so I'm taking a chance on finding cabin-mate(s)...

Sorry I didn't check back earlier, Kalos. As a matter of fact I do have a single and might have been interested in sharing [partner backed out]. I suspect it's a moot point at this late date, however.

Are you by chance an eclipse chaser, too? My two Marco Polo cruises featured the 1999 Black Sea eclipse and the 2002 total in the Indian Ocean. This will be my 18th totality. I've been at it for a while. wink.gif So far my track record is perfect, so we can expect clear skies on April 8th. [knock on wood]

My friend and I will be on board MV Discovery from Tahiti all the way to Fort Lauderdale and we are very excited about the eclipse. It will be my first experience at viewing and photographing an eclipse so hopefully there will be no clouds April 8th. Do you suppose the ship will provide safe means to view it or should we bring our own and what would you recommend?

It's likely the ship will provide safe viewing glasses for the eclipse. If you want to photograph the partial eclipse, you need a full aperture solar filter for your camera. They are usualy made from sheets of aluminized mylar ND 5.0 or greater. Check the cruise literature for recommended sources. Since this is your first time and the length of totality is very short, you might enjoy it more by just observing rather than photographing. The ship's photographer is sure to have better than amateur quality pictures of the event for sale afterward. If you'd like to see some photos I've taken of recent eclipses, check my Eclipse Gallery web page.

Thanks for the advice. Have you ever heard of exposing a black & white film to light and then having the film processed -something about the metallic coating applied during process- thereby making the film safe as a filter? Will look for you on board. Maybe there will be a cruise critic bunch.

Fully exposed and developed black and white [not color] negatives are OK for visual use. Silver grains in the film block harmful rays. For photography you need something thinner or flatter like aluminized mylar or ground glass, however. There's a good chance they'll have mylar filters for sale at the ship's store or someone will bring extra. It's very inexpensive.

Ask for Bernie in cabin 5123 if you want to look me up. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are looking into a trip to the Antartic & Chilean Fjords aboard the MV Discovery. We have crised severial times before on RCCL. We thought it might be interesting to sail on a different line and take a trip not main stream. How does a this ship ride compaired to the larger ones? Where would we go to find out what the weather would be like? We are looking at a trip in January of 2006. Thank you in advance.

• 1 month later...
Sorry I didn't check back earlier, Kalos. As a matter of fact I do have a single and might have been interested in sharing [partner backed out]. I suspect it's a moot point at this late date, however.

Are you by chance an eclipse chaser, too? My two Marco Polo cruises featured the 1999 Black Sea eclipse and the 2002 total in the Indian Ocean. This will be my 18th totality. I've been at it for a while. wink.gif So far my track record is perfect, so we can expect clear skies on April 8th. [knock on wood]

Alas, I had to cancel my Discovery Eclipse ticket. I couldn't find anyone to share in time - and I didn't want to pay double for the cabin. Bitterly disappointed. This cruise would have been perfect - the Eclipse plus two very exotic islands: Easter Island and Pitcairn Island.

Yes, I am a bit of an eclipse chaser - seven (only) so far. I did two on the Marco Polo - the 1999 Black Sea Eclipse and the 1995 South East Asia Eclipse.

By the time you read this, you will already be on the April 2005 Eclipse Cruise and on your way to the Exotic Islands. Hope you report back.

What ship looks good for the Euro 2006 Eclipse ?

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from 4 weeks Tahiti to Fort Lauderdale. Wonderful itinerary. Excellent staff. Tips and wine with dinner included. BUT food very disappointing (poor quality fruit, ran out of English Breakfast tea, stodgy cakes and scones at tea...only food plus was quality of meat) Go for the ports and top lecturers not fot the luxury.

sammys

Hi,

Has anyone sailed aboard the M/V DISCOVERY (former ISLAND PRINCESS)? I recently received a brochure for this ship and was impressed with the very interesting itineraries. I am curious about the food, service, shore excursions, etc., on this ship. How would this ship compare to the MARCO POLO (another mid-sized older ship that offers reasonably priced cruises to exotic destinations)?

Thanks for any information,

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...
Char70 wanted to know with whom to book. I just booked a single cabin for Antarctica (1/7/05). I called Voyages directly and was directed by the reservation agent there to a travel agency in California where I live. The price I got from the agency is $475 cheaper than from Voyages directly. The agency has a group rate. I suggest you call Voyages and ask them for the name of the agency in your area that offers group rates. Since you are from California, the agency I used is probably the agency you would use.

Can you give a summary of your trip? I am interested in the Jan 06 cruise but want to get a real review (Minke??? Where are you?) Has the food improved? Did you check out any of the various cabin grades?

So glad to see action about this ship. We want to take the March 6 New Zealand trip but have been hesitant as know nothing about her. Have been lurking and hoping for guidance.

Do you people use travel agents, internet discounters or the Discovery people themselves. We want to have deviation air and I have been stalling. Their air prices are significantly lower. Maybe we had better get moving if we want decent accomodations.

Thanks in advance

Hi Charlene, Hope you manage to book your cruise to NZ. If you come our way we would love to help with suggestions on what to do and where to go. If your ship docks in our Port [Tauranga] on the cruise we can help out as it our home town. See our threads on the Australia/New Zealand forum. Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw on Voyages of Discovery's website a press release that said Capt. Erik is leaving Discovery :mad: (as of May 16, 2005) - does anyone know if he's actually retiring, or going to another line?

Thanks!

Archived