Trouble with Eagle Ray Diver website?

oldmedic

I have been trying for the last couple of days to log on to eagle ray divers website, and keep getting a "server not found" message. Is anyone else having problems logging on to their site? have they changed their address? if so, can someone post the new address? thanks

I have been trying to access the Eagle Ray divers site for over a week and a half and have not been unable to access it either. I thought that there was some type of problem with the Cozumel server, but if others are accessing it, then obviously that isn't the problem. I have tried everyday at different times and had no luck. I also tried the alternate address that the poster above llisted and still had no luck.

Are you using AOL or other mass market ISP?? Sometimes they block access to other certain ISP's due to spam or virus or other reasons. Maybe Eagle Ray's ISP has been red flagged by your ISP. Use someone else's computer.

Rich

No, I don't use AOL or other mass market ISP. I use a regional ISP which has both dial-up and high speed. They have never blocked any site before and when I contacted them indicated that they have not blocked any sites. They do have a virus "catcher" for email that sometimes keeps me from getting emails if the email has a virus in it. But this doesn't apply to websites.

The only other thing I could think of is that I have a mac. There have been rare instances of my not being able to access a web site due to it being incompatible with macs. However, I was able to access Eagle Ray Divers website last summer to be able to book them for an excursion for a cruise we had last August. So unless they have "upgraded" their website and now it excludes macs, I don't know what the problem is. I don't have another computer to use. I certainly am not going to use a public computer to make a credit card payment and all of my friends only have computers at their workplace.

It looks like we'll have to go another route for snorkeling at Cozumel. It is a shame that Eagle Ray Divers is missing out on our business and the business of other people who can't access their site. Perhaps one of you who can access their site should advise them of this.

i have a gateway, so it is apparantly not a mac thing. I tried both the links and typing the address in the box, and still get the same message. I can access the website from work (gateway also), and have not had any trouble accessing any other website. i am stymied!!(sp?)

The only other thing I could think of is that I have a mac. There have been rare instances of my not being able to access a web site due to it being incompatible with macs. However, I was able to access Eagle Ray Divers website last summer to be able to book them for an excursion for a cruise we had last August. So unless they have "upgraded" their website and now it excludes macs, I don't know what the problem is.

It is definitely not a Mac thing. I've had no problems with their web site and I am a dedicated Mac user. Maybe if you tried a page other than their front page. It has a java thingy on it that might not work if you don't have java enabled. http://eagleraydivers.com/Diving.htm

You might also look at Blue Angle divers They do snorkeling as well as diving trips.

mademac.gif

Saw this post and finally decided to "say something" about our experience w/Eagle Ray Divers. First, let me say that the people who run it are very nice and fair people. :o Second: Make CERTAIN your outing has ONLY divers on board because on our trip Eagle Ray tried to accommodate too many people to be everything to everyone and it really didn't work out well at all. Prior to our trip I had read one very good and long review by someone who had done some diving w/them about 2 yrs. ago. And later on read another post where a couple had gone out w/them and the husband was going to try diving but the conditions were very rough and the couple didn't have a very good time at all. They felt there were issues involving safety on their trip.

Since my husband is a diver and I merely love to snorkel, we were looking for a trip that could accommodate us both on the same outing. (We had done this in St. Lucia and it worked out great.) Eagle Ray has 2 boats. Both are VERY SLOW and use much time getting to the better locations. Many boats, some much nicer and some smaller, passed us up heading to Columbia and Palancar Reefs, etc. Our particular trip had certified divers, "try it" divers, and snorkelers on board. Also we wasted time picking up a couple at a resort w/no proper docking facility and then they had to find vests for them, etc. (Time was crucial as most of the people on this boat were off a ship for the day.) Took FOREVER to get to Columbia Reef - our first stop, but so what, I thought! The day was nice and it was a nice ride. Once our destination was reached, snorkelers (3 of us) got into the water first w/a guide holding an orange life jacket for a marker. We followed him along & were quite a distance offshore w/some moderate current. We were in the water for about an hr., getting rather cold, w/the conditions getting quite choppy and our boat hadn't been in sight for some time. I was beginning to wonder just how much longer we'd be in the water as I felt I was probably turning blue! (Our guide did have a wetsuit.) But otherwise I was o.k., having done quite a bit of snorkeling in the past. The other lady began to freak out and told our guide she was scared and didn't like that our boat had left us. She was mad, cold, tired and beginning to get panicky. Our poor guide didn't seem too thrilled either, but what could he do? The lady's husband had to calm her down because she was beginning to hyperventilate. :eek: After several minutes, our guide decided we should swim to a nearby tour boat w/snorkelers boarding. But it started to leave. He told us to stay put and he'd go after them. Fortunately, another boat came by very close and he flagged it down and told the driver to please radio to our boat, which he did. About 10 min. later our boat showed up. (It turned out that they had dropped the divers off in an area that wasn't too safe - a current in a ravine or something. :confused: The "try it" divers were NOT happy. They decided to call all the divers back into the boat because conditions weren't too safe and take them down to Palancar, or this is where they supposedly went, where it would be safer for them.) Finally, we were all back on board. Some folks - at least 2/3 of us - were thinking there was not enough time to go to a 2nd dive or snorkeling site due to the possibility of missing our ships. So the capt. agreed to drop us off at this beach concessionaire and told us there would be taxis stopping by there & to be sure to eat lunch there. He did make fair adjustments to the prices we had paid for our excursions, and seemed to be explaining to the guy running the beach that we'd probably eat there, etc. At first we were told taxi's wouldn't be arriving for an hr. or so, but that turned out NOT to be true and there were some outside their facility right then. We decided to get must closer to our ship before eating lunch so we'd have a better idea of just how much time we had to waste before departure time.

The Eagle Ray deckhands were good helping the divers w/their equipment and so forth. And I think the captain tried to provide a good experience for us all. But it was impossible to do. And I have to say I don't think the safety precautions were of the highest standards. It was really inexcusable that just 3 people & a guide were left well off shore for such a long time w/no diver flag or way of communitcating w/the boat in water about 15 - 20 ft. deep, in an area where boats sometimes came by not far away at somewhat high speeds. Although I myself had on a deflated Mae West vest, and the other lady wore a lifejacket of some sort, her husband had nothing. Had he begun to get a cramp or something w/the boat so far off, it could have been a bad scene.

I have put off writing this since March because, as I said, the Eagle Ray people are very nice & seem to be trying to make it in a very competitive market. However, they are badly in need of some more powerful, newer boats and should not take on clients w/such varying needs, wants and skills. The people who were just out to "try" diving were REALLY NOT HAPPY. This type of diving should best be done from shore (for instance, at Chankanaab at Cozumel).

That's it. Forewarned is forearmed, as the saying goes!

I don't know what the problem is, but I still can't connect to the Eagle Ray Divers website, even trying all of the alternate urls that everyone has posted here. In the past, when I encountered the one or two sites that weren't Mac compatible, I have been able to get into them using an alternate browser. While I primarily use Internet Explorer, I sometimes use Safari or Netscape. I have found that Netscape will get be into the sites where I haven't been able to get into, even when the technical folks managing the site admit there are problems for Mac users in getting into the site. However, Safari and Netscape won't work either.

So I basically have just given up accessing it. We have already made our booking with another company, but it is frustrating not to be able to get in and I would really like to know why.

Mlbcruiser, thanks for your comments. They provide good information as well, especially for those groups which will include snorkelers. I would encourage you to post this on the Cozumel site just so that others considering Eagle Ray Divers will have this information also to consider when choosing a company that is appropriate for the level of skill in their group.

I've been on Eagle Ray Divers' website a number of times in the past week or so and haven't had any problems. In fact, I was on it last night and just checked it again today and I was able to click through to everything I needed -- diving, snorkeling, and accommodations. So, I know at least that much is working fine.

Archived