Breakfast and Lunch

IM Alaska bound

I'm taking the Sapphire Princess in Alaska next week and we've read tons of stuff about dinners.

What is the common wisdom about breakfast and lunch? Is it best to eat in the dining rooms? Room service? Casual places? I'm traveling with my husband and two kids (ages 8 & 5).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Unless you are in a full suite, room service breakfast is very limited to mostly continental fare. As for the dining room vs buffet? Well, that all depends on your children. If they are in a hurry to eat in the morning, like most kids are, the buffet would be your best bet.

Thanks for your answer but I'm not sure I understand -- this is only my second cruise. We're in a mini balcony suite. Does that mean we have a different room service menu than other cabins? Is there anything special about eating the other meals in the dining room or just a waste of time?

No, you will have the same room service menu as everyone except the full suites. So it will still be continental breakfast, pretty much.

No benefits we could ever see with eating breakfast and lunch in the diningroom, we just go if we have time to kill.

If you like to be "served", than you would like breakfast and lunch in the dining room. We don't eat out a great deal at home, so we eat in the dining room every chance we get. With children though, the buffet might be the better bet. No waiting for food, no small talk with strangers, etc. There is also usually a hamburger bar and pizza place for really quick meals!

Room service is a good option for lunch if you want the kids to wind down a little in a quieter environment. (The breakfast menu is usually "continental", but I think that includes dry cereal etc., which kids might like). The service is usually pretty good.

As always, it's your "personal choice"! ;)

Generally, the menu offerings in the dining room at lunch are much better than the buffet. We just returned from the Sea Princess on Saturday and ate most of our breakfasts and lunches in the dining room. It was really a pleasant experience plus breakfast on port days was served quickly so we could get off the ship on time. There were a lot of kids on our cruise and there were many in the dining room for breakfast and lunch.

Archived