Status of SS Norway

I am surprised that the Coast Guard never spotted anything wrong in the engine room during their routine inspections and grounded Norway because fo them. I am also very surprised and disappointed that a large rspectable cruise line like NCL along with their cash-heavy parent company Star Cruises would allow such a situtation to occur...I cannot believe that the management of NCL and Star did not know of the problems with the boilers! I was always a NCL cruiser and sailed on Norway twice but have not sailed on NCL after Star's takeover and the boiler disaster. I have switched to RCCL and Carnival with RCCl being my number one choice...sorry NCL but you let me down and the other customers by your negligence!!!

Our daughter and her DH were on the ship at the time of the disaster, so I have followed the investigation very closely.

It is very difficult to find boiler issues without doing a lot of testing. It is also almost impossible to spot the issue that led to the failure of the boiler without doing a hydro test to destruction. If the boiler logs had been accurate and properly maintained, the issue would have been more evident account the incorrect procedures would have been documented.

The incorrect procedures used in the boiler rooms evidently dated back even to the days of Kloster ownership. This is a key; the incorrect operation of the boilers had been a standard procedure for most of the ships years as the Norway. Eventually, all the short cycle cooling and reheating would create fatigue failures. The welds done to repair this cracking were done in a less than perfect manner. Welds were undercut and some had inadequate penetration. The question of why copper filling was found in some of the welds is still unanswered. My guess is that someone as Star wanted to cut corners.

This type of high pressure boiler has a finite cycle life before it must be replaced. The shortened cycle times that had been a long stand practice on the Norway caused the life of the boilers to be significantly shorter than the designed life. Even when the Klosters bought the ship and returned it to service, finding mariners who understood ultra-high pressure boilers was difficult as the diesel engine had pretty well replaced the steam turbine. This, I believe, is the root cause of the difficulty.

I sincerely believe that Star is forced to cut corners as they found NCL is a major drain on their resources. They cut even more corners than the previous ownership had done to save money in the mechanical department and got caught.

Doc:(

PS: Read the reports, read them thoroughly and try to understand them. This was inevitable as the ship was operated.

Hi everyone,

I've enjoyed reading your posts on the Norway. Although I never sailed on the ship, I do remember a long time ago seeing the ship somewhere in Europe when it was still known as the SS France. It's sad that a ship such as that encountered these problems but I guess since it was an older ship, maybe certain aspects hadn't been checked properly and eventually problems occurred. I guess people who have sailed on her will have great memories. I know I have lots of memories from ships I sailed on back in the 1970's-1980's but many were scrapped due to age and I don't think due to any foreseen problems - they get old, they're small and newer and better ships are built with lots more modern amenities.

Laurie

NCL also knew of the inherent risk in operating the Boliers in this matter. Yet they passed on replacing the boliers with Diesel Electric which at the time would have been more cost effective. It worked for the QE2.

NCL also knew of the inherent risk in operating the Boliers in this matter. Yet they passed on replacing the boliers with Diesel Electric which at the time would have been more cost effective. It worked for the QE2.

Exactly! The steam plant in the QE2 had been highly problematic from launch, though. As a consequence, diesel electric plant became a desirable alternative to reboilering and repairing the steam turbines. It certainly added years to the life of what had been an aging and issue plagues ship.

Doc

I am glad to hear this, for once crew people get a fair shake. It's common knowledge that cruise companys often shell out millions to politicians, media reps, etc. in the name of trying to preserve their company's reputation, while the crew get treated as slaves. Crew are not governed by US labor laws which is why they can get away with grueling hours and low pay. Look at the money that several board members paid out of their pockets to lobbyists when NCL was trying to form NCL America. That's actually public record (saw it myself).Many in Hawaii were against it due to what bringing cruises in would do to the environment. Same held true for Alaska.

I sailed on this ship also, and had such fond memories. So sad that the Behmoth ships have replaced the class of what the Norway had. I have my photo with the Captain in Club International on my piano.

The accident has come up in the courts:

"Norwegian Cruise Line was ordered by federal court judge in Florida to pay a $1 million fine and $13.75 million preliminary restitution to the victims of the deadly boiler explosion on the Norway May 25, 2003. All the dead suffered severe burns from the superheated steam and oil that burst from the ruptured boiler, the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's Office ruled at the time. The company agreed to plead guilty earlier this month to a charge of gross negligence, the U.S. Attorney's Office said. The company admitted it had "failed to insure that proper inspections, maintenance, and repairs of boiler components were carried out.""

• 2 weeks later...

The SS NORWAY was my all-time favorite ship! I sailed on her many times and had another sailing booked at the time of the boiler tragedy. Over the past 30 years I had sailed numerous times (too numerous to mention) on NCL - after the tragedy and the takeover by Star Cruises, I began to see things really go downhill. Wanting to give NCL the benefit of the doubt, I sailed three more times on NCL ships before finally giving up a few years ago when I realized they were getting worse and worse and were not getting better...poor service, poor food, poor attitudes of the staff....their product has gone down so much.....we are now very happy with other lines, Celebrity and Princess being our favorites. Someone told me a few years ago that NCL stood for "No Clue Line" and I really think there might be something to that!! After the SS NORWAY accident, they were very tight lipped about everything....I made numerous inquiries and was always told to contact Star cruises....I emailed them numerous times as to the status of the NORWAY, hoping that someone would come through and get her repaired and returned to service... and either got a generic response of " we do not have any information concerning your request" or they would not respond at all....who wants to do business with someone like that? Not me!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello " Shiplovers "

Last time i open a French Blog over the : s/s NORWAY ; my Lovely Ship !

With many photos from " OUR " ship !

I finish 2 big section :

The first over the Norway at Bremerhaven ( May 2005 & November 2003 ) .

The second from the Norway in the Caribbean ( March 2002 , my " last " vacancy on board ) .

I think the next section is over the : Farewell Transatlantic from September 2001 ...

http://tdm99.skyrock.com/

Friendly Noel

I remember being on Norway and seeing her anchored out in ocean off of St Thomas...with the haze she looked like a ghost ship...like an ocean liner out of the past...as I guess in reality she was...glad to have sailed on her twice!

• 2 weeks later...

That photo is one of the saddest things I have ever seen. I know it will only get even harder to look at when there is less of her. I will always remember her when she was in her sailing days. I think I will have to watch the video of our vacation on her after I send this. Thanks for the photos and all the information. I know it will be hard to watch but I would like to see more photos of the S.S. Norway as she is torn appart.

What a tragic end to a beautiful lady....I sailed on her 2 different times...and was booked to take another when but then the explosion happened..If I had only known, I would have taken alot more pictures..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I too sailed on Norway twice -- my first cruise and one with my mother. I'll never forget coming down the "grand staircase" of the dining room and my mother afraid she'd trip on her palazzo pants! (she didn't).

I too miss the Norway (and will miss the QE2 come November). Yeah, they had some really tiny staterooms, awkward layouts, no rock walls or putting greens . . . but they looked like ships, felt like ships and had a majesty all their own. These new floating Las Vegas hotels don't do it for me, but it's that or nothing.:mad:

I really wish they'd scuttled the Norway -- this is worse. Death by a thousand cuts -- literally.

The QE2 will have, for a time at least, a different fate. Hope it works out for her.

Well said, ggo85. I started a thread some weeks ago on the SS Norway and posed the question of whether I was the only one that misses her. Truly a classic/titanic-style ship w/ great food and great service. I sailer on this in 85 to the Bahamas when my dad chartered the ship for a Club Managers cruise. I remember it being quite luxurious. Among the ships I have been on below, the SS Norway, QE2, and Conquest ('08) were the best.

compguy write : I started a thread some weeks ago on the SS Norway and posed the question of whether I was the only one that misses her.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE !!!

The s/s NORWAY ( ex FRANCE ) was " my " Ship !!!

My Great Liner ...

And i think , i can not " LOVE " another Ship so much ...

My blog over the s/s NORWAY :

http://tdm99.skyrock.com/

From page 61 to 101 i write in English ;)

But sometimes a photo is better as many words ...

And i have not finish , because i have another 2 cruises from s/s NORWAY :)

Noel

The Blue Lady, nee Norway, nee France are almost gone. :mad: Recently missing are her aft funnel, a lot of shell plating and interior structures. The jackels and hyenas with their blowtorches have been very efficient at dismembering this grand and elegnat lady. Although I never sailed on her, I have always admired her classic lines.

38eb5cb1.jpg

Archived